Chapter Two~ An Eccentric Old Man

Chapter Two~ An Eccentric Old Man

A Chapter by Brette Medb

    Finias was led down a series of twisted corridors until they reached a narrow dimly lit hall where there was barely enough room to fit Master Gimbli and himself. Master Gimbli took a ring of oddly shaped keys out of his worn loose leather trousers choosing a key that seemed vaguely similar to a spiral with a fishhook at the end. The silence began to smother Finias as he fought to create a conversation he didn't have to contribute much to. Another long moment passed as Gimbli struggled to unlock the large wooden door before Finias decided to break the silence, "Arrwin was explaining to me the lore behind transformations and the meaning behind each animal. It was all so very interesting. What animal to you change into?" Master Gimbli turned to face him, his ruddy cheeks barely visible in the gloomy hallway.
    "Me young sir that tis a private question ye asks. Even soma the closest of friends don' know that 'bout each other ye see. Now I understand tha' ye are new here so I won' take offense, however I wouldn't advise you to go round askin' people tha'." Finias blushed under the harsh tone of Master Gimbli's voice but he refused to allow him to see him so confounded.
    "I'm very sorry to have made offense sir, it was not in my intentions." Gimbli waved his hand as if to clear to awkwardness from the air. When they stepped into the small room before them Finias found himself in a massive closet with hundreds of hunting outfits, riding clothes and even fancy formal wear. "For whom do all these clothes belong? There must be hundreds of outfits here." Gimbli chuckled lightly to himself surveying the clothes surrounding them.
    "These here be the royal family's clothes young Finias. Many of these here are Arry's. Her mother Boann had sucha difficult time with her when she was a wee lass. Her grandfather sorta ruined tha' anyway. He used to take her huntin' and he trained her to use a sword betta than any man in the kingdom. But enough of tha' lets get you to look like a decent man then eh."
    Finias emerged fifteen minutes later bearing the appearence of a well to do handsome Anamalian man. Master Gimbli escorted Finias to Master Driftwood before taking him through another series of maze like hallways to Arrwin's chambers. Master Driftwood had been a man of serious appearence and quiet demeanor but he had not questioned Finias's sudden appearence within the city and for that Finias appreciated the man's obviously wise character. Upon entering Arrwin glanced up from her book shocked to see Finias's transformation from a stuttering, frightened son of a Hellawe king to an upstanding Anamalian gentleman.
    "Well now you do clean up nicely I shall admit that. You seem to fit well into my Dyfed's clothes, do you find them satisfactory?" Finias nodded ignoring the slight edge in her voice when she mentioned her younger brother's name. An older woman glided through one of the side doors Finias had failed to notice upon entering the room. The woman radiated an air of confidence and importance yet seemed almost humble with a warm glow in her chestnut eyes. The woman took a seat beside Arrwin slowly turning her attention to him and tilting her head assessed him with a stern look before breaking out into a welcoming smile.
    "My name is Boann, I am Arrwin's mother, and once Princess of these Lands. You must be Finias?" Finias liked her immediately, she had a calm, motherly quality that no one could resist but before he could answer her she broke out into a quiet feminine chuckle. "Why thank you Finias. Arrwin I do believe he is quite the gentleman considering who his mother was and who he was raised by. Have you yet to inform him of his true father?" Arrwin glanced at her mother in irritation.
    "I was about to tell him when you entered." Boann nodded and waved her hand motioning Arrwin to continue. Standing up Arrwin swept across the room to the open window.
    "Vlkodlak had good reason to suspect your mother of her indecencies and was quite correct at her infidelites. You are of Anamalian decent by the blood of both your parents. Your mother was of mixed blood but your fatehr was killed only recently in battle, however your mother's father still lives within my kingdom in the Old Province. If you wish I shall take you there. He was a close friend to my Grandfather and I know him well.

~*~

    Finias and Arrwin ambled along the narrow path towards the Old Province, the journey had begun in an awkward silence but soon Finias could quell his curiosity no longer. He could not resist asking her of her family and how she, a woman, had become the Lady of the Wild Wood. From what little history he had gleamed from others he knew in Anamalia there had only ever been one other Lady of the Wood. The position had been male for thousands of years and many thought only a man could inherit the power of the woods, it was believed only a Lord of the Wood could command the ancient spirits and commune with the trees.
    They walked in silence once more and Finias began to relax, allowing nature to embrace his spirit slowly beginning his transformation. Arrwin watched as he became a sleek black raven flying high up into the open sky. She too allowed her natural surroundings to calm her soul as she bolted along the grass, her paws barely touching the damp ground. She barked at the raven in the sky following him until they reached his grandfather's house. The raven began its fast descent as it plummeted towards the ground and just as it seemd about to crash into the solid earth a slender Finias appeared. Arrwin bounded up next to him within seconds she stood nearly eye level. Walking towards the house an arrow shot out of a high window whizzing past her ear.
    "Get away you thieves! I won't let you vermin keep stealing my potatoes and carrots!" Ronan yelled. Arrwin rolled her emerald eyes chuckling quietly to herself.
    "Ronan Stump! I command you to put down your bow by order of the Lady of the Wood. Do you hear me Ronan we are not stealing your blasted potatoes!-"
    " I warned you he was a bit eccentric but I promise he is harmless without the bow." The door facing them creaked open revealing a lanky old man with frizzing white hair.
    "Arry is that you? Oh my gracious, what a wonderful surprise! What tis the occasion? Nothing too serious I hope." Arrwin wrapped her arms around the wiry old man,
    "Ronan my dear friend. No bad news but joyous news I bring to you this day. Guess who I happened upon on my stroll this morn'?" Ronan stared into the distance thoughtful,
    "Have you found those damn rascals who have been stealing my vegetables?"
    "I have found someone better. I happened across your grandson this morn and he wishes to meet you for he has no other family left." Ronan peered over Arrwin's shoulder eyeing Finias thoughtfully.
    "I had no idea I had a grandson. After Gertrude ran away with her mother I thought for sure she would have married some filthy Hellawe scum and had a litter of dogs. Well enough of that come here lad, you come all this way to see me and stand there still as a tree with a cat holding your tongue. Come here my boy!" Finias shuffled forward unsure of what to say or do.
    "Hello sir my name is Finias. I wish not to impose on you so if you wish me gone I shall leave hence and never return." Ronan clapped Finias on the back beckoning him and Arrwin up the stairs into his home.
    "Nonsense, you'll come up here and have a cup of tea." Halfway up the flight of stairs Arrwin leaned towards Finias whispering quietly in his ear.
    "Word of the wise, do not drink the tea. It shall knock you flat if you have not been raised drinking it." Ronan sat them around a large oaken table offering drink but as Arrwin had suggested he declined the Alder tea and instead chose the rappleberry juice. They sat before the fire talking of old tales and Finias's childhood and the Golden Age of Pan. It was the early evening when Arrwin rose to leave apologizing for the hasty goodbye. Ronan led them down to the opening out of his tree home waving at them in the dim twilight.
    "Arry please my girl don't allow another eight years to go by before seeing me again. You never know, I'm getting old I might not be around much longer."
    "Oh Ronan I do not doubt that you shall be here you are too stubborn to go so easily. I believe you shall outlive me." Ronan gave a hearty laugh shutting the door behind him leaving Arrwin and Finias to the oncoming night.
    They arrived back at the castle just as night was fully setting in. The day had been long and arduous so he took his leave from Arrwin after she showed him his quarters. Finally alone Finias took stock of the room around him. It was ornately decorated with ivy and silver candlesticks were mounted on the beige walls. Branches were painted on the walls and when looked at for long moments seemed to sway with an imaginary breeze. As soon as he layed down on the enormous bed a light tap sounded on his door. "Who is it?" he asked sleepily. A young maiden scurried into the room holding a steaming pot of water and a small towel which she gingerly placed on the chest at the foot of his bed.
    "Excuse me sir is there anything I can get thee?" she squeaked. Finias studied her closely and he came to the conclusion even in his haze filled mind she resembled a mouse and sounded quite like one too. He sent her away with the last thought of her transforming into a brown field mouse.



© 2008 Brette Medb


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Brette? You have a wonderful, imaginative book going here. I'd like to hear more of Ronan's stories to get a better sense of the history of the land. I know you are trying to keep the chapters short so people will read. Ah! How the readers on WC seem to loathe and not read lenghty tales. I know, because very few read mine LOL! But, please don't let this site detract from the zest of your creativity and your profound imagination. I'd love for a lengthy description than a breeze through. Much love to you, dear lady.....

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This was a wonderful chapter. Again your imagery is delightful and the pace of the story is just right. The characters are alive and their world is lively.

Posted 15 Years Ago


gimbli his wisdom i can relate to,as he tells finias,how ignorant it is to ask such personal questions on animal changing,,yes i gt lost in the visual and dialect,of the time, that means i became a part of the story,,well composed in my opinion,peace wizthom ps i know it is a rough draft i just wish to let you know in first part of write where finias ask gimbli ,,what animal do you change into,,you wrote,,What animal to you change into?" i know it was just a typo the best writers make em..loved ur story.i want more i mean it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A nice chapter with lots going on I feel almost dizzy.lol You do have a good imagination and this is progressing nicely. Your characters are wonderful, the only think I could say is maybe you could tell us how Finias feels....he must be overwhelmed with emotion to find is father isn't who he thought he was and he has a grandfather he never met before. Keep writing Brette....:)


Posted 15 Years Ago


Brette? You have a wonderful, imaginative book going here. I'd like to hear more of Ronan's stories to get a better sense of the history of the land. I know you are trying to keep the chapters short so people will read. Ah! How the readers on WC seem to loathe and not read lenghty tales. I know, because very few read mine LOL! But, please don't let this site detract from the zest of your creativity and your profound imagination. I'd love for a lengthy description than a breeze through. Much love to you, dear lady.....

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Another good chapter.

A suggestion: Instead of telling - show us: For example, describe the keys, describe how/why the woman had an air of confidence, etc.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

269 Views
5 Reviews
Added on July 6, 2008


Author

Brette Medb
Brette Medb

BOSTON



About
So many things have changed and I'm just trying to catch my bearings. All I want is to start writing again and not lose myself to all this change. more..

Writing
Time Time

A Poem by Brette Medb