Dreamscape

Dreamscape

A Story by Brette Medb
"

An old piece I found laying around

"

       The dim twilight accentuated the eerie desolateness of the overgrown forest as the ocean blew in a heavy mist that wound itself around the largest of flora. As the sun set in the far distant west the shadows began to take on a life of their own, writhing, as if in pain from the biting wind sweeping down from the north. The leaves rustled speaking in tongues of languages long dead from humanity concealing the noise of what lurked deep in the darkness. No footprints were visible in the gloom, but then again that which crept alongside of me in the dense growth would leave no footprints. The primordial flora swayed, beckoning me forth with skeletal branches and thick green needles, even the fauna hid from the sinister creature I so longed to escape. My heart beat like a wild drum, and my blood pounded in my ears, my feet continuously willing me to run and never look back. It could smell my fear, I knew it could. I sprinted through the brambles, the world spiraling out of view. In the darkness I failed to spot the thick root that poked out of the damp, coal black soil. The universe reversed itself on me in that split second it took me to fall. The ground became the sky, and the sky my floor. The musty smell of decayed leaves filled every ounce of my senses leaving me dazed and confused. There would be no escape from the creature that stalked me in the night. The footsteps were unmistakable crunching in the freshly fallen virgin snow. Must escape this malevolent entity, must run, must... I am wrenched off the ground and forced to face the evil that lurks in my shadow, then the whole world went black.

I wake up panting, sweat drenching my clammy skin, terrified the creature has followed me into the realm of reality. No, not it, she; or what I mean to say is, me.

© 2009 Brette Medb


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love how it is a story of loneliness yet everything is given personification and is significant. Very excellent!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really like this piece. I thought it had good descriptions and I especially liked the meaning of it. I also thought the ending was good! Great piece!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 27, 2009

Author

Brette Medb
Brette Medb

BOSTON



About
So many things have changed and I'm just trying to catch my bearings. All I want is to start writing again and not lose myself to all this change. more..

Writing
Time Time

A Poem by Brette Medb