1. Zyler Conor Devlin

1. Zyler Conor Devlin

A Chapter by B30
"

Zyler looks to his past and confronts his future with difficult choices.

"
I didn't heed advice given to me. All the lies in my past, being a truly skilled assassin, killing whatever that is at stake or against the mighty Strike Republic. Now, the throne is but blood and reduced to ashes. The day had come quicker than imagined to leave this dreadful work that I had done for the past fifteen years, laying it down and never taking the same route back again. 

I emerged out of the shadows, as the Empire background seemed to lift the weight holding my conscience, which was now clearer than ever. Raindrops had dropped like stones, the loud noise emanating a very disturbing scenery among the clouded skies of New York. 

It is the year 2074 where people no longer carry jobs, but coveted, highly skilled assets and abilities. The face remained clear that gangsters and mobs occupied the streets, roaming in search of dogs to do their utmost dirty work. Strike Republic was more than a company to me; it salvaged my dreams, my life and brought a new meaning to what it had in store for me; it was a home. Khail was my saviour, my benefactor. Without him, I would have been ought to sought a different route, one that promises challenge and the dripping of costly dignity as I would have been left to die. 

I needed to leave Strike. Then only may I eternally be happy with Hailie and Carly, my wife and my sister. Carly was all I had when I was little. She was the reason I went into assassinating people for money. The way I was trained; to be decisive, quick, concise and never to question your prey was all I had remembered among the lessons Strike had taught me. Khail was a mastermind; he was the plot that would blend human resource to tackle people's payments, sending killers and hitman who would do anything for money. 

As a black maserati sped past me, my side pocket quaked at the trigger from my phone. 'Private number', my phone wrote. It could be anyone from my colleagues to my former enemies. I picked it up, hesitant and reluctant. 

"Hello?" I asked, aiming for a low pitched voice that was unlike my own. 

"Zyler? This is Clough." I heaved a sigh of relief as the tension building inside had instantly come tumbling down. Clough is my agent now after the recent work of finishing Khail at Strike. The payment comes from him, and so does the loose jobs. 

"What is it Clough?" 

"I'm dent on thinking that Khail's system was brought down a couple of notches. Brink was such a good disguise that even I wouldn't expect that." 

"He's dead now." Clough's other end turned silent. A former employee from Strike, Clough worked under Khail for almost half of his life. To be able to leave Strike, he had no choice but to cripple his left leg, taking him a long 5 years to rejuvenate. From the next words coming out from his mouth, I knew that he had no more love for Khail anymore. 

"Well, that's interesting. Listen, I've got a team for you. Now that Khail's dead, you can get that job out of the way." 

"Now? I can't. I'm going to go visit Hailie and Carly." 

"Come on, I'm your buddy. These guys need a leader. You're perfect for the role," Clough said. "All these worth of investment is soon going make you create a new company entitled, On Strike! Wouldn't that be cool?" 

"I don't give a s**t Clough. Either way, I'll call you when I'm done with my visit to my family." Clough sighed, knowing that nothing gets between what I need from what I want. As a good buddy, he knows that more than anybody else. 

"Okay then. Call me as soon as possible." 

-----

The streets was empty as I dipped to the side walks. Trees swayed in different directions through a cold hard breeze. My house was a few feet away from me as I stopped and admired around me. Cologne Street, the place that made me, in which Strike moulded me. People here were always trying to make ends meet. While they were desperate to land a job, they never forgot the love the others showed to them. I approached the door as my heart strings were tied. Finally, I was going to meet Hailie. 

I rang the doorbell and turned to face the streets. My cloak covered my back as I waited anxiously for the wooden door to open. Seconds after, it didn't. I knocked on it a couple of times, as I peered through the windows. Sensing something was wrong, I stepped back, increasing my weight and throwing my body at the door, smashing and breaking it into half as I tried to regain my footing. 

It was a mess. The first sight was rubbish along the living room, torn cupboards, broken drawers, crumpled papers, the destruction and tearing of the couch. I went to the other rooms, but they were all empty and turned upside down. It was hell on Earth. I decided to call Hailie but someone soon made a step before me. I held my phone tight as the vibration almost broke my nerves. 

"Hello?! Who is this?!" I asked frantically, keeping my nerves locked and tight. Now is not the time to lose my cool. I had known it better than anyone else. 

"Hello Zyler. Wondered where your fiancée has gone to?" The murdering voice behind that phone was haunting me. 

"I don't know who you are. Hand me back Hailie or you're going to have to die." 

"Seems like you don't understand," the slight pause was killing me. "It's not just your wife you have to worry about. Guess who else is on the line?" The distorted noise was creeping up to the phone. 

"Zyler! Zyler!" I gripped my phone tight, as I lurched to a corner. It was the voice of Carly screaming my name... 

"No, no no! Not Carly! Damn it!" 

"Let's have a little fun, shall we? I see you have a team already. So let's start with this. You have two routes; One to your lovely endearing wife, while the other to your harding and ferocious little sister. You want them, go to either Foster Avenue or the Light Escape Tower respectively. You have 60 minutes, or one of them dies. Good luck Zy." 

The heat was on as I clutched my phone. My withdrawn emotions was tearing me up. I couldn't possibly stop now. I only have 60 minutes and I needed to do it fast. From where I am, to both of the spots would take me almost 45 minutes. There's no way I can reach them both in time. Instantly, I picked up my phone. 

"Clough! I need you to gather the team." I rubbed my forehead with my fingers, making my choices carefully. It's a do-or-die situation that is facing me with extinction. 

WHERE WOULD YOU WANT ZYLER TO HEAD TO? WHERE IS HIS TEAM GOING TO GO? WHAT IS YOUR CHOICE FOR HIM?

GO TO FOSTER AVENUE/HAILIE OR LIGHT ESCAPE TOWER/CARLY

YOUR CHOICE. WHAT WILL YOU DO? 

Read request your friends so as to know what they would do! 


© 2012 B30


Author's Note

B30
Read request your friends! I cannot say this enough! If you have, I really really really appreciate it! Thank you! :D

-The next chapter will be on hold as my personal laptop is currently down along with my writing. I hope that you do bear with me for now!-

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DrD
The decision is not appropriate if the story is to continue. He should make a decision without the reader knowing which it was only to find that our villain has both his sister and wife at the same place as prisoners. He is required to use his skills for the antagonist if they are to stay alive. The pending tale is how he works and all the while secretly uses his team to liberate those he loves.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

B30

11 Years Ago

I was actually trying to make it interactive so that readers would be able to fill into his shoes an.. read more



Reviews

Engrossing! The pace you start off with is tremendous. Time will only tell if you can keep that up!
As for the question at the end. I'm hoping that is only for the chapter. Please donot make this a Goosebumps-psychotic-turn-to-page-thing! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

B30

11 Years Ago

Thanks! Actually I am thinking of questions every chapter until the last one. It would make it more .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DrD
The decision is not appropriate if the story is to continue. He should make a decision without the reader knowing which it was only to find that our villain has both his sister and wife at the same place as prisoners. He is required to use his skills for the antagonist if they are to stay alive. The pending tale is how he works and all the while secretly uses his team to liberate those he loves.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

B30

11 Years Ago

I was actually trying to make it interactive so that readers would be able to fill into his shoes an.. read more
I LOVE THIS CHAPTER !!
Very well written!! The darkness screams its haunting presence!!
Plus the guy on the phone threatening Zyler is supposed to be evil, and you made him that !! Great..
Plus I love the fact that Zyler is the good guy in the story, and that he has a friend and a crew... Perfect start, hasty but perfect ...
Well if I were to say ... The guy on the phone would definitely want Zyler to go after his fiance ... that's almost a natural instinct.. LOVE.. Plus he did hand over the phone to his sister that means he is with her.
That being the second expected place and the more dangerous one, I'd say Zyler should go for Carly(sister) ...He has faith in Clough so he should send the crew to rescue his wife !!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

B30

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I had wanted to make Zyler much like an anti-hero. Probably you will see quite some twist.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 23, 2012
Last Updated on October 26, 2012
Tags: the dawn of light, choices, story, zyler conor devlin


Author

B30
B30

Singapore



About
My real name is Benny. B30 is my alter-ego in everything I do. I aspire to be pretty much a: director, host, actor, artist, writer and a poet. Although these are just a few, I love writing rhy.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by B30


Crush - Chapter 2 Crush - Chapter 2

A Story by B30



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..