The best $40.00 I've ever spent

The best $40.00 I've ever spent

A Story by B. Boileau
"

I dont normally do stories, but I have'nt been normal in quite sometime... I hope you enjoy it.

"

 

 

 

 

It was a breezy November day. I strolled the boardwalk with no intention, no ambition.  Just taking in the sea air and watching people was the order of the day. Maybe stop for a slice or two, if I can find one that's open. The tourist have long been gone till Memorial Day, but there's still a fair amount of locals to watch.

Around the corner in a rundown storefront is Madame Marie’s gypsy fortune and life consoling. Surely a Jersey shore mainstay, and a must see any time you ponder what cards life has dealt you. For just a mere $20.00 Marie will guide you through your future. At these bargain prices how could anyone go wrong? So, with little or no hesitation I go in.

My eyes were slow adjusting to the lack of light, and there was a familiar smell of Columbian gold, or maybe it was just the incense. Either way I remember feeling relaxed and paranoid all at once. Marie greeted me with a bold smile and eyes covered with more makeup than a Ringling Brothers clown. She directed me through the curtains to the back room. Wow, I'm getting the V.I.P treatment!

"Sit" she said, "I already know why your here".
Silently, skeptically I listened.
"Your heart is missing a beat; your soul is searching for something that had been lacking for a very long time". "The moon is on the 50 yard line, and you’re out of time outs".
I looked up, "Wait, What"?
"I was just testing you to see if you were listening" she sheepishly grinned.
"Ok, I'm all ears"
"Good, because what I'm about to tell you is important and you must heed my words. You are about to embark on an emotional journey that will lead you to either the ever dark, or ever light, the choice is yours"
"Do ya think you could be a little more specific Marie"?
"Sure, that will cost another $20.00"
I couldn't very well leave without knowing, so I ponied up the cash.
"You will meet someone that will take you to both the dark and the light. This person is someone you do not know".

Clear as mud I thought. She rambled on some more, about what I have no idea, gave me a brochure about her monthly readings and escorted me to the door.

I wandered down the pier until I came across Morey's.  There, in all its majestic fanfare, the Golden Nugget ride was calling my name. Although it was closed for the season, I noticed a friendly face in a Morey's uniform. (Jean's and a bright yellow hoodie).
 "Hey, give me a ride". 
 Much to my surprise, she agreed. I hopped in the car and off I went. Right out from the bright sunlight into the dark tunnel of the oldest ride on the board walk.
I guess Marie was right, best $40.00 I spent that day.....







© 2018 B. Boileau


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I had to think about it a little bit, but yeah, her forecast was mostly true. Do you reckon Marie and the ride attendant might have been in cahoots? Any way, It's an enjoyable story that makes me smile.

Posted 5 Years Ago


B. Boileau

5 Years Ago

Thanks Sam. If you've ever visited the jersey shore, you'd know the carnie's are all in cahoots
This story put a huge smile on my face. I grew up spending a lot of time on the Jersey Shore....it is part of my soul. I remember the gypsies with the card readings and crystal balls and the rides that closed in the winter. Very often what the gypsies predicted was ambiguous enough to apply to everyone and anyone. Such a well written story. I enjoyed it. Lydi**

Posted 5 Years Ago


B. Boileau

5 Years Ago

Thank Lydia, I keep forgetting your a Jersey girl at heart.
Lydia Shutter

5 Years Ago

Lived in Jersey till I was 16....that never disappears!
terrific story bill, funny how things happen, maybe $40 bought positive thoughts and fate just did its part.

Posted 5 Years Ago


B. Boileau

5 Years Ago

Thank you my friend

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

421 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 14, 2018
Last Updated on July 14, 2018

Author

B. Boileau
B. Boileau

Las Vegas, NV



About
I stopped writing a many number of years ago. A little while ago I connected with a good friend who asked me if I was still writing. It gave thought to start again. Thank you TM ! Before the aut.. more..

Writing
Searching Searching

A Poem by B. Boileau