Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by BCBates

Gloucester, England.

 

The spring had been kind to South West England. The scenery had gone from an icy metropolis, to a green haven, what seemed like overnight. Everything became more colourful, even the birds boasted vibrant oranges and dancing blues. As opposed to mellow white and dampening gray.

Fewer days were being taken over by rain, and instead, replaced by powerful sunshine and clear skies.

Gordon loved the walking through the Cotswolds in Spring. Being outdoors in this season, made it easier to lose yourself in your own imagination. His Auntie's house backed up onto a hill, which at the peak, you could see for miles.

It also meant his football season was drawing to a close, which made him sad to know he wouldn't be a part of it. Ever since his Dad had been killed at Hillsborough, Gordon had never gone to another football game. Partly because of fear, partly because it wouldn't be the same without his Dad. It hadn't taken away his love for the game, if anything he loved it more.

 

Consoling family and friends had continuously told him that his father would always be with him in some way, shape, or form. If this was correct, then Gordon wanted his father to see him play football every week. So he joined a local junior club in Liverpool.

This was to his Lilly's complete dismay, she had grown to completely hate the sport, and everything about it. The incident at Hillsborough had changed her as a person. Numerous visits to councilor's and hypnotherapists were unfortunately to no avail. Lilly had started segregating herself from the outside world, ultimately affecting her only son Gordon.

After a visit from Lilly's sister, Irene, her life began crumbling around her. Irene had insisted that Gordon stay with them for the summer holidays, to give Lilly a break. She was an adament women, and wouldn't take no for an answer. She could tell that Lilly wasn't well, and needed help. And if she didn't get Gordon out of the house, he too, would start down the same rocky road.

 

She lived in Gloucestershire, three hours south of Liverpool, in the countryside.

Gordon didn't like it much, he was worried about his mum, and he had no friends down here. His Auntie and Uncle tried there best to keep his spirits up, but all Gordon wanted was to go back to Liverpool. The country was boring compared to the city, and it gave him to much time to think about his Dad.

 

Lilly took Gordon's absence as an opportunity to turn to the bottle, the high spirited woman of 12 months ago had turned into a drunken recluse. She had turned against all of her friends, and accepted help with abusive and violent outbursts.

Debt had also crept up on the once so careful woman. Phone calls turned to letters, which eventually turned to home visits. It started with her TV being taken, which wasn't too bad, since she had never turned it on, since she witnessed Brian's death 12 months ago.  Then it was the couch, followed by one thing after another, until her home had turned into an empty shell. The devil had truly taken over Lilly's world, and she had become to weak to fight it any longer.

 

Gordon headed back towards the house, adamant he was going to bring the up issue of going back home with his Auntie and Uncle. He knew they were keeping something from him, every time he entered the room they would suspiciously stop talking. He needed answers. He had thought of the exact words he was going to say to his Auntie, he would play the emotional 10 year old, and then if that didn't work, he would use the, I have a right to know, card. He would start walking to Liverpool on his own if needs be, he just wanted to go home. Hopefully it wouldn't get to that.

Has he approached the back gate to his house, his Auntie came walking out.

"Auntie Irene, I need to talk to you and Uncle Robert" Has he looked up to see her reaction, he couldn't help thinking something was wrong. "Is everything all right, Auntie?"

"You better come inside Gordon, me and Robert have some bad news" Irene turned back towards the house, walking into the kitchen. Gordon followed her, seeing his Uncle Robert sat at the table with his head in his hands.

"What's happened?" said Gordon, quietly. He had an horrible feeling  he wasn't going to like what he was about to hear.

Irene started crying, rather loudly and uncontrollably.

Robert stood up. He was a large man, with hands the size of shovels. His hair had started dissapearing on the very top of his head, leaving him with a Monk like haircut.

"The police have phoned" He stopped to think of the right words "It's about Lilly, your mother" It usually amused Gordon when Robert spoke. His accent was unusual and broad, and he always spoke in short sentences rather than flowing paragraphs. But today he felt anxious, not amused. Telling by the look on Roberts face, this was not good news.

 

The front room was bare. Wallpaper had been ripped off in places, the carpet had changed from its desert tan colour, into a murky brown. No TV, no couch, no side table where Lilly used to put the newspapers. No sign that anybody had lived here for months.

Betty had lived next door to the Greenstocks for over 20 years. She was the typical old lady, bringing round left over christmas chocolates for Gordon and Brian. Joining Lilly at bingo every wednesday, and spending most days chatting over cups of tea. But after Brian's death it had all stopped. She had even stopped seeing little Gordon running around the street playing football. The last time she had spoken to Lilly was 10 month's ago. Lilly had accused her of trying to ruin her life, saying she never wanted to see Betty again. Completely shocked, Betty did as was asked and kept well away from Lilly Greenstock. 

But now she was worried about her old friend. She hadn't seen her or her son Gordon for two weeks, something wasn't right. It was time to investigate.

The smell in the house was overpowering, a mixture of rotten eggs and peroxide.

"Lilly! Hello, anybody home. It's Betty. Gordon are you home?" Betty was calling as she was walking up the stairs. She was certain nobody was home, but she was curious what the smell was.

'They must have moved out' Betty thought.

At the top of the stairs there was a mattress lying half on floor and folding up the wall. Betty had to step over it, noticing urine stains covering the fabric.

The first room on the left, she remembered was the bathroom. It was small , with a menthol green bath taking up the full left hand side of the room. The toilet and sink snuggled in together on the far wall, made the room look somewhat cluttered.

The next room was Gordon's. Has Betty peered in, she couldn't help noticing that everything was exactly as it was the last time she had seen it. Everything so far in the house had been leading her to the conclusion that the house was uninhabited, but it couldn't be.

'Who lives like this?' She thought to herself.

The posters of Liverpool FC took over the walls. Red and white being the only colours that dared make there presence known. A picture caught Betty's eye. It was on a small chest of drawers next to Gordon's bed. She walked over and picked it up, a tear started forming in her right eye, which she let run down her cheek. The picture was of Gordon and Brian, taken at one of the many football games they went to together.

"Such a shame" she muttered as she left the room.

The final room upstairs was Lilly and Brian's room. It was located at the far end of the landing, the door was slightly ajar. Betty walked towards to it, and peered her head through the door. The smell was overpowering, making her stomach turn over. With her hands over her mouth Betty proceeded into the room.

In the middle of the room was a mattress, a blue sheet was thrown over it, with a blanket scrunched up at the bottom end. Betty noticed the curtains were closed making the room quite dark and gloomy. Underneath the windowsill stood a mirror, which had a large crack running through the center, and the reflection of Lilly Greenstock, hanging, staring blankly back at her.

"Argh" Betty sprinted as fast as her seventy year old legs could carry her. Straight through the front door and onto the pavement, where she collapsed, and cried more profusely than ever before.

 

Upon hearing the news Gordon ran as fast as he could to the top of hill he had no long descended. Once at the peak, he threw up. Screaming and crying at the same time, he ran some more. He ran until his legs were so tired they simply gave up on him, sending him tripping down a bank.

"Why!" He shouted. A million questions running through his head.

 

Gordon had never felt so alone.



© 2013 BCBates


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Gawd.... that is just creepy man! But hey, thats my opinion :) Poor Gordon.... I feel so sorry for him :(

Posted 11 Years Ago


BCBates

11 Years Ago

Ye he's having a hard time at the moment. The good news is, it gets better for him :) Thanks for you.. read more
Daniela Jamiso

11 Years Ago

No p :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 15, 2013
Last Updated on January 17, 2013
Tags: teen, football, young adult, fiction


Author

BCBates
BCBates

Manchester, Tameside, United Kingdom



About
I have been interested in writing since i can remember, yet i am still nervous in putting pen to paper. So much imagination, but so little confidence! more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by BCBates


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by BCBates


The Game The Game

A Book by BCBates