The Diversion

The Diversion

A Story by Reaching for the clouds
"

A man goes into a library and meets someone nice.

"
 

Maria had been conscienciously working evenings as an aide at the Huntington Community College Library to help pay for her college expenses. She didn't like the work much, it was unfulfilling and dull. Besides, Maria had her own schoolwork to concentrate on. But Maria couldn't stand the idea of becoming one of those spoiled girls who had mom and dad pay for everything, while they just put in minimal effort and partied the rest of the time.

In was now Thursday evening and Maria did not have classes on Friday. Thursdays were the worst days to work knowing that most of the students on campus were out at the local bars or private parties. Many of the students on campus would leave dorm rooms to return home on Friday mornings to visit family for the weekend, so it seemed pointless to work slow, uneventful Thursday evenings.

Maria was busy feeling sorry for herself when she noticed something out of the corner of her eye. She hadn't noticed him when he came in.  A tall, muscular young man that Maria had never seen before was sitting alone not far from the desk where she was working. He had a dark complexion with dark wavy hair.  He looks like he must workout a lot. Maria thought to herself. This new development had Maria forgetting that it was supposed to be yet another lonely Thursday evening at the Huntington C. C. library.

Maria tried to just pretend that she wasn't noticing this young mans strong presence and the effect it was having on her. Her heart had started to pound like it hadn't for quite a while. She had been dating a guy pretty serious in high school, but her college intentions had ended it. Maria still felt like an outsider at this school after all. She had so far made very few friends. She was now thinking, 'This guy must have a different woman every night!' or, 'I wonder what the other girls on campus would think of him?' Maria found herself looking over at him regularly. She couldn't help herself. He was magnetic somehow, and he was making Maria feel flush and her breathing pattern had changed.

Maria looked away quickly not wanting this new man to notice her staring. She was starting to feel like a fool, no man had ever gotten her attention this strongly before. 'What is wrong with me?' She thought to herself, 'I am acting silly, he couldn't possibly think I am pretty. He is far too handsome to take notice of a plain Jane as myself.' Maria was finding it hard to concentrate on her studies knowing this intriguing,mystery man was so close by. Her heart was pounding in her chest, her palms becoming sweaty. She was finding it a little hard to breath. 'This is ridiculous,' she thought. 'I must be out of my mind here. I don't have time to get involved with any man, let alone a man who I can't seem take my eyes off of.'

It was nearing the end of Maria's shift and her replacement Peggy had just arrived to take over the periodicals help desk. Maria gathered up her books and schoolwork and she reluctantly prepared to leave. Maria was thinking about how she hated to leave work with such an attractive diversion around when the unthinkable happened.

His strong voice was low in tone yet unmistakable. "Excuse me miss." The mystery man said quietly with a slight grin, "But I couldn't help notice your beautiful eyes."

What! Maria almost yelled. She found herself growing red with embarrassment. She wasn't sure if she had actually heard correctly so Maria said, 'Excuse me?' This just made things more uncomfortable because mystery man just smiled an impossible smile.

"I, of course, noticed you looking at me," Juan said still smiling. "I love your eyes. Are you done with work now?"


Maria's heart was pumping so fast that she was sure that this beautiful Greek god of a man standing before her had to be able to hear the pounding of her about to give out heart.

"I, ummm, actually I am getting off in about ten minutes." Maria flipped through a book to maintain her composure which was all but gone. "After the final register is counted and I log off all the screens. I am out of here unless there isn't any toilet paper in the restroom. In that case I would need to hit the storage closet first and fill the cabinet."

In her mind Maria was scolding herself. 'Stop Maria. Stop with the details. Toilet paper? Are you kidding me? The most desirable man you ever met in your life is speaking to you face to face, and you are talking about the toilet?' Maria felt like crawling under the counter. 'This man doesn't care about the details. A simple 'yes' would have worked. Breath, just breath. You can do this snap out of it. Maria screamed to herself inside of her head.

After a quiet moment of reflection, Maria was more calmly able to say, 'Well what I meant to say was the library is closing and I have to do the final check list before I can leave here.' Maria gasped as she noticed him looking very deeply into her eyes now, like he could look right into her soul. Her knees were becoming weaker. 'Why is this happening to me?' This had never happened to Maria before. Maria the smart one, the wise one who always guarded her heart was no match for this man of beauty and stature before her. If only he was not so tall and good looking. I am sure I could get through this moment without feeling like I will pass out. She thought to herself.

Juan just stood there waiting a whimsical impish grin slowing crossing across his face. Maria was beside herself she could no longer speak or breath or move, something had to give or she would lose it all together.

Suddenly there came a loud crash from the corner of the library, thanking God for the miracle that saved her from utter humility, Maria mumbled something that made no sense and ran off down the hall toward the crashing sound.

"Arthur"? Maria exclaimed, there in the corner covered in books under the ladder was Arthur Campbell, a student in Maria's biology class. His glasses sitting crooked on his head and books on top of him, all around him, covering him.

"Arthur what happened? How did you knock the entire shelf down on you? Are you okay?"

Just then Maria could feel the warmth of Juan's breath upon her neck, her heart began to pound again and her knees once again became weak. Even without turning she was sure who had followed her. Who now stood so close to her that she began to quiver with desire. She didn't even know this mystery man two minutes ago yet she knew she wanted him, hungered for him, like she had never wanted or needed anyone ever before in her life. How could there be such a strong a chemistry and desire for a man she had just met? Every thought in Maria's mind was spinning out of control.

Before Maria could allow these wild sensations to take over completely, she quickly bend down down on one knee to help Arthur. Maria was wearing a rather short navy blue skirt so she did so carefully. Maria was trying to hide a smile when she helped an embarrassed Arthur off the floor. Arthur of course was (as usual) was very apologetic. He had simply fallen asleep and had rolled over and into a book case which then fell on him! Arthur was on a first name basis with Maria since he had gotten to know her a little over the past few weeks.

© 2011 Reaching for the clouds


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A great start to what I'm sure will be a great story. I
Laughed a few times especially during the toilet paper scene ha ha thats the stupid kind of thing I would say if I were in her shoes. Well you have me intregued and I'm
Looking forward to finding out more about this mystery man.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The plot isn't uninteresting or anything of that sort, but I think it could use some variation in sentence structure. Almost all your sentences are short and simple and though those help create an impact, they make reading tedious at times.

It's also a good beginning to an intriguing story that you have here; I only wish there were more descriptions of emotions or appearances. Erotic literature (as I assume this piece is supposed to be) focus more on the erotic part most, but by refining style of writing, you can make your work stand out from the rest of the erotica community. The devil is in the details after all.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Interesting and strongly felt story with nice bits of humour.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You and I both have to learn how to spell breathe, to distinguish it from breath. Now that I am hip that it is annoying to my readers I thought I'd send it along to you. I hope there is more.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A wonderful beginning to this story! You have intertwined the characters in way that is intriguing. Ah, the verve of the beginnings of love. Looking forward to seeing what happens with Maria, and Arthur! Well Done! ~ Jude :-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A great start to what I'm sure will be a great story. I
Laughed a few times especially during the toilet paper scene ha ha thats the stupid kind of thing I would say if I were in her shoes. Well you have me intregued and I'm
Looking forward to finding out more about this mystery man.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

405 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 5, 2011
Last Updated on December 29, 2011

Author

Reaching for the clouds
Reaching for the clouds

CO



About
I think feeling and emotion should be evident in all writes. We are artists here people! Lets not hide that. I dont do read requests, but I review often. What is the difference between wri.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..