Teachers in our world

Teachers in our world

A Story by Reaching for the clouds
"

We need to better appreciate those who work so hard and get paid so little to get the next generation ready......

"

                          Teachers

As taxpayers we want the following from our public school teachers:

1) They must correct disruptive behaviors, although many parents aren't doing that at home.  Many kids are very spoiled and used to getting their way at home and parents become defensive and angry when this is pointed out.


 

2) Observe the kids for signs of abuse and face the loss of employment if they miss any 'obvious' abuse.  Teachers are sometimes threatened by parents or the kids themselves when the abuse is reported.


3) Monitor the kids dress habits and instruct them to change if something is offensive to someone else.   Why are they leaving the house with those clothes?


4) Instill in kids a love for learning, although each kid in the class of 30 has to be treated as 'an individual'.


5) Check their backbacks for weapons, although this could put the teacher themselves in jeopardy.

 

6) Raise the sense of self esteem and personal pride in these students, which goes against what the kids are experiencing at home.


7) Teachers must work tirelessly to make sure that students pass state exams and teachers face possible dismissal if students don't succeed in these tests.


8) Teachers must provide students with an equal education regardless of their handicaps.


9) Teachers must communicate regularly with parents in English and Spanish by letter, phone call, email, conferences, online, report cards, and web pages. 

If this isnt done then parents will disavow a failing grade saying "No one at this school ever tells me anything!"

 

10) Teachers are expected to succeed at all these things all the while the public complains that 'education is a black hole' in the state budgets and as a consequence a teachers beginning salary qualifies them for food stamps.

And...

Teachers are asked to do all of the above while not being allowed to pray in school! Is there something wrong with this picture?


 

Its also intriquing that the parents who complain the most are the ones who are not currently working and thus have the least amount of reason to complain about 'their tax dollars'.

 

© 2011 Reaching for the clouds


Author's Note

Reaching for the clouds
Obviously, I am a teacher. But I love my job!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well you have opened my eyes to a fair few points there. Personally I have always had a huge amount of respect for teachers. They shape the world. It's shame that you are not rewarded better. I guess that's where job satisfaction comes in? Knowing that you have made a difference in people's lives? Not many can say the same.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

No offense, but I've only had maybe a handful of teachers who taught me anything valuable. The rest of them were hacks reading from "workbooks". Anybody could have done their jobs. And most of my teachers hated me anyway, because I never did the work and I was a smartass about it when they gave me s**t. I always made it abundantly clear to them that I didn't care about school, and that I just wanted to be left alone, but they weren't having it. Most of them were always up my a*s about something, and then they would wonder why I didn't respect them. And this, of course, is most obvious in high school- a high school teacher's job is to try, in vain, to distract teenagers from sex and drugs with things like reading and arithmetic. It's a bad joke. I'm not saying that this is true of you; I'm sure you're a wonderful teacher (the rarest kind of teacher). I'm just expressing my opinion based on my own school experience. In spite of all this, I did enjoy this piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I guess it's something to ponder and well as intriguing, Don't get me wrong it it weren't for teachers we would all be complete dumbasses!

Posted 12 Years Ago


As someone who is currently pursuing their teaching certification, this little piece really spoke to me. Teachers are expected to do so much, yet they are severely underpaid. I have several family members and friends in the teaching community from various places all over the U.S. and it's amazing how oblivious parents are, worldwide, to the behavior of their children. I think now we really see how high school is becoming a social setting rather than a learning environment and while yes, teachers can try to come together to include more discipline, so can the parents! I hope more people continue reading your piece and open their eyes to the extreme difficulties and sometimes unrealistic expectations of hard-working, dedicated, and loving teachers!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haha. I am a student, and I admit that there really are times when I take my teachers for granted. This made me think and I've realized that throughout the years, my appreciation for what the teachers are sacrificing just to help raise the world's future leaders has declined. So this was a pretty good reminder. Teachers really do a lot not only for each individual but for the country or even the world as a whole. That's why I personally believe that they must be treated like heroes. I salute you for being one, and even loving it. Students and parents should learn to appreciate that. :) Thank you for sharing. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well you have opened my eyes to a fair few points there. Personally I have always had a huge amount of respect for teachers. They shape the world. It's shame that you are not rewarded better. I guess that's where job satisfaction comes in? Knowing that you have made a difference in people's lives? Not many can say the same.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

379 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 26, 2011
Last Updated on November 26, 2011

Author

Reaching for the clouds
Reaching for the clouds

CO



About
I think feeling and emotion should be evident in all writes. We are artists here people! Lets not hide that. I dont do read requests, but I review often. What is the difference between wri.. more..

Writing