Night Song

Night Song

A Story by Dezaraye
"

Description of the nighttime.

"

The horizon pulled the sun into its embrace and darkness fell as the Earth drew in one last breath.  Thick with anticipation, time stood still in the blackness; releasing its pause with the first whisper of the wind accompanied by a single cricket’s lonely song.  The song gently swelled around the curves of the night. 

Ever so slowly, owls awakened, stretched, and deftly glided into the air.  One by one, stars dotted the never-ending stretch of the night sky and twinkled, adding their soft pulse to the awakening world.  A lamb bleated in the distance, a long sad song in the absence of his mother for the first time.  Cats shuffled, crouching low through the grass, seeking their prey.  A creek gurgled past, it’s sound muffled in the thick night air and the soft breeze rustled the reeds along the bank, making them whistle delicately.

At long last, over the peaks arose the moon bathed in glory, its long chords adding a melody to the night song pulsating through the air.  The night stretched into unending hours, its song changing with each passing minute.  The crescendos suspended in mid air as the harmonies changed and intermingled before falling once more into a single ringing note, and then again began to grow.

Arms outstretched, a small girl emerged from her darkened home, dressed in a flowing white nightgown.  The song paused, the creatures froze, and the silence became deafening, until, with a breath, the girl began to dance.  Illuminated in the moonlight, she began to sway ever so slowly.  With the slightest shudder, the night song continued and the girl pirouetted in time to it.  Emerging from the shadows, the creatures of the night, eyes aglow, looked on.  Closing her eyes, the girl leapt and twirled with grace flowing into the ever changing, ever growing song.

As the moon rose higher into the sky, the song changed once more, swelling quickly and then receding to but a whisper.  Arms outstretched, the girl leapt into the sky, coming to rest in the moon’s outstretched arms.  Weightless, she drifted, dancing with the stars.  Her nightgown fluttered around her, adding a soft beat, and she closed her eyes, breathing in the magic.  Through the night, the song played on, crescendo after crescendo, diminuendo after diminuendo, it grew and grew, all of it the same song, yet different – evolving.

At long last, the moon reached the opposite side of the land, the stars began to disappear in the fading darkness, and the creatures began their trek back to their daytime slumber.  The girl alighted softly, once more onto the earth.  As the first gray of daybreak stole across the sky, she lay in the dewy grass, breathed a contented sigh and fell asleep.  The horizon pulled the moon into its clutches, the wind shuddered and then stilled.  The last cricket played a single note, which rang through the air until, with great bravado, the sun stretched into sight.  Silence fell over the Earth and color once more filled the sky.  The night song over and the day song beginning with a faster beat, rushing. 

The girl’s chest rose and fell with each breath as she slept, awaiting the song of the night.

 

© 2008 Dezaraye


Author's Note

Dezaraye
An old piece that I love.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't know you Dezaraye, but my dear YOU ARE A WRITER!!!!! I tried to choose a favourite sentence, but they're all brilliant...a beautiful nature tribute that is so peaceful, it should be on everyone's coffee table. I don't think I can remember reading such descriptive narrative...not even by best-selling authors, You're a *star.*
The only thing I would say, and I say it because I'm supposed to be reviewing, is that your use of comma's is slightly overdone, but that in no way takes away from the flow of this masterpiece... Congratlations!!! It will be recommended reading on my profile page...

Posted 16 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love this a lot... very descriptive... I felt as if I was the creature of the night watching it all take place... by the way I love that part cause i think we all get that sense sometimes that eyes are on us that we can't see... also love the line bout time standing still in the darkness.. it does seem that way and I think it is because unlike the daytime and the light changing as the sun moves at night darkness remains the same... all I can say is bravo for writing this, you are an extreme talent.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Pretty...really imaginative and sweet. You truly have a nice mastery of describing the love of dance.

Precious work, Dezaraye.

Daniel

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this one. I think it was in my favorites before.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You certainly accomplished describing a nighttime setting

So peaceful yet so alive

Brilliant!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very beautiful and picturesque; there's not too much more I can add that Helen haven't already said. Your description of the night skyline is breath taking and the avatar is a great fit. Good storytelling.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your imagery is amazing here. Such deep descriptions really pull the reader into the magic of the night. I definately felt in tune with its song. Brilliant!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

HOW DID I MISS THIS? This piece is brilliantly written - do you hear me Dezeraye? PERFECT.

Do NOT let anyone tell you different. I am completely impressed and proud of you.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was so astounding. The night has always held its sway over me with its subtle but powerful beauty. The little girl reminded me of the Greek Goddess Selene, the Mother in the triple goddess of maiden, mother and crone and goddess of the Moon. This was so eloquent and profound. Beautiful write.


Brette

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gorgeous! That is the best way to describe this. You really made the images come alive in this with so many GREAT descriptions....and the premise is lovely and uplifting. This is a fantastic story, my friend :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

as stated below, the imagery is beautiful. this piece put the english language to the test. my only suggestion is to change one of the two "At long last" transitions. it is slightly repetitive. thank you.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

452 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

Dezaraye
Dezaraye

About
"As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let you down probably will. You will have your heart broken probably more than once and it's harder every time. You'll br.. more..

Writing
Haunted Haunted

A Story by Dezaraye



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Tango Tango

A Story by Dezaraye