My life in Dubai.

My life in Dubai.

A Chapter by Baila-Eidos
"

So, it's my life in glitzy Dubai and it's not all it's cracked up to be. If you don't enjoy reading angst-filled articles concerning whiney people then read at your own expense!

"

This is my life. My life enrages me with a vengeance and without E.R., I don’t know where I’d be at now.

We all do our A-Levels; we all get straight A’s and go to Russell Group or Ivy League Universities. We all drink cheap vodka and Malibu, smoke shisha and foul cigarettes at the weekend; we all kiss each other and maliciously gossip about the said kissers when back at school. We all go to the same shopping malls, we all go to the beach and eat out at TGI Fridays or Chili’s. We all wear the same clothes, we all speak the same way, and we all have the same ideas.

If you were to visit Dubai, which is where I live, you wouldn’t be able to know who just wrote those ramblings. We all write the same. We all know the same. We all do the same.

I want to be able to do what I did this summer. To walk the streets of London, quoting Frank Turner and singing Belle & Sebastian songs. To visit the dungy corners of Peckham and Brick Lane and to unearth the most amazing stores selling vinyl’s and vintage-y clothes there. To walk around London markets in the middle of nowhere and to ride cross-country trains listening to Angus and Julia Stone. To wear whatever I like with no penchant for modesty or social norms and to eat bleeding strawberries from the same hands that picked them.

Imagine me being able to vent in this manner but NOT have to come up with an utterly untraceable pseudonym so I don’t destroy my carefully constructed, false reputation. Imagine not being ridiculed for acting like a slag on a weekend or for finding one of my best friends through a chat room. Imagine not being expected to know every hideous-Dubstep tune and instead being admired because I prefer to spend my time writing pointless whiney articles on websites like this.

I want a change. I do. I want to do what I want to do. I want to write and write and write and read. I want to make new friends and learn a new language. I want to visit the slums and the rainforest and witness the Seven Wonders of the World. I want lots of things, many of them unattainable. But one thing I want more than anything is to be allowed to be myself.

Without you, E.R., I would still be like the rest of Them. But is it better to be hidden in the dark as They are? Or is it better to be in the position I am now; living under a false pretence for another year until I can tie up the loose ends and escape?



© 2010 Baila-Eidos


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

My Uncle had a half share in an oil loading company in the UAE, from what he told me, I'd escape as soon as you could.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 27, 2010
Last Updated on September 27, 2010


Author

Baila-Eidos
Baila-Eidos

United Kingdom



About
Give me a pen and a paper and some sunshine and Them and I'll be happy. Oh. Wait. I forgot the strawberries. I like strawberries. Lots and lots of strawberries. more..

Writing
Brainstorm #1 Brainstorm #1

A Chapter by Baila-Eidos