Gams

Gams

A Story by Franky
"

A man notices a picture of a pretty younger woman sitting in a car and instantly becomes intrigued.

"
The 1980 movie "Somewhere in Time" featured well known actors Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. In the movie, the Reeve character is staying at a hotel when he notices and becomes infatuated with a portrait of a beautiful young woman who is later played by Seymour.

Well, let's be real here. The Reeve character isn't just infatuated with this portrait that hangs in the lobby of the hotel. He's obsessed with it. He asks questions of anyone who will talk to him about this young woman. He researches her life and finds out she dies unhappily years later.

He becomes so involved and OCD about her that he asks physicists and others about the possibility of his time traveling back about 70 years so that he can meet this young woman in person.

Needless to say, he time travels back to 1910, meets her, falls in love with her, (she predictably falls head over heels for him too), and everything works out great until he wakes up weeks later- sadly back in 1980. Back to his normal life, and without his new found love, he becomes deeply depressed and eventually loses his sanity.

The movie puts all of us hopeless romantics out of our misery by showing both characters meeting up again later in some type of heaven like place.

It was a great movie. I saw it with my dad. He and I went to movie theaters about once per month while I was growing up.

Ok. So here is my point. I saw an intriguing picture of a young woman at an exercise app last year. The pic is above. When I was browsing photos of other active, dedicated health nuts, I happened to see this one. I could hardly take my eyes off of it.

In this picture, we see a pretty young woman sitting in a car with a long sleeve blue sweater. She, predictably, has just been walking several miles when it has started to rain on her. The pic captured my attention, and still does.

How in the world can a soaking wet, young woman look so heart stopping? I haven't figured than one out yet.

When commenting on her picture, and then chatting with her I have learned to really like her. She's funny, very honest, direct as hell, hardworking, and simply adorable. (She doesn't like when I call her adorable).

She's also humble, easy to talk to, and unwilling to believe she is beautiful. I'm working on that with her

How on earth can anyone have eyes this perfect?

How can someone caught in rain look this good?

How can someone sitting in a car catch my attention this way? Most people sitting in a car look creepy!

I have had the opportunity to get to know her a little over the past year. We even get into arguments sometimes! At one point, we weren't speaking for months.

When I initially asked her age, (I had assumed about 21), she told me 36. That intrigued me even more.

So, you might be wondering why this write is called Gams. Why do you think? I started wondering right after seeing this mesmerizing picture, "I bet she has great legs!" Well, she does. I never doubted it.

I feel a little like Christopher Reeve in that 1980 movie. I'm not a time traveler, nor have we even met yet, but I at least can understand how a simple photograph can capture and hold a man's attention like an eagle swooping down and grabbing an unsuspecting rabbit.

I'm that rabbit, and it's kind of nice being caught. I hope she doesn't let go.


© 2020 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You know, love is such a powerful thing, polarizing as well. Love holds but just a short bridge to hatred. As strong as these 2 seem as opposing polar forces, it's almost as if somewhere along the bridge, a wormhole lays to greet the other pole. And as long as one does not tread too far away from love, I believe its this force that makes it so strong. Insanity would be straying too far away from love and getting caught in the wormhole. I enjoyed the story. I thought it was quite beautiful, and it took a turn towards optimism, rather than insanity. Which was nice.

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Month Ago

Excellent thoughts! I hadn't thought about the insanity part but the Reeve character was nearly co.. read more



Reviews

Such wonderful details in this write, Love comes and go and it is such a strong feeling
as it as even the word love is confusing, yet can be a blessing. This is really good.
Quite intriguing really.

Posted 5 Days Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

5 Days Ago

Thank you so much. I love hearing the thoughts of other writers. It's helpful even if there are .. read more
June bug

5 Days Ago

I couldn't give a critique if I wanted to. I just wasn't made that way.
Franky

5 Days Ago

Thank you though for your nice comments. This writing was a bit odd so I appreciate that.
You know, love is such a powerful thing, polarizing as well. Love holds but just a short bridge to hatred. As strong as these 2 seem as opposing polar forces, it's almost as if somewhere along the bridge, a wormhole lays to greet the other pole. And as long as one does not tread too far away from love, I believe its this force that makes it so strong. Insanity would be straying too far away from love and getting caught in the wormhole. I enjoyed the story. I thought it was quite beautiful, and it took a turn towards optimism, rather than insanity. Which was nice.

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Month Ago

Excellent thoughts! I hadn't thought about the insanity part but the Reeve character was nearly co.. read more
What a wonderful story here.

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Month Ago

Thank you! Some like it, some didn't understand it.
Beautiful story! The details of the background history. Romantics love this! It leaves room wanting more.

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

3 Months Ago

Thank you so much. I'm so glad you liked this. Some haven't so that means a lot. But....I like .. read more
Coffeeprincess

3 Months Ago

It's beautifully written! Is it a part of a novel?
Franky

3 Months Ago

No. I just had a few ideas rolling around in my head and I decided to go for it. Thank you! You.. read more
This makes no sense. Are you sure you've explained it right? This man researches this woman's life and finds out she's going to die, unhappily, years from now? Ok, fair enough. It's about time travel, he may have some way of looking into the future. But then, instead of traveling into the future to try and save her, he travels into the past to meet her and get to know her? He's not bothered about how her life is going to end up?

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Sara Mercury

4 Months Ago

He wants to change history by loving her, and that way he can prevent her from living that life of s.. read more
Franky

4 Months Ago

Oh ok! I just saw your previous review. I loved that movie very much. I saw it in a large movie.. read more
I visited the Grand Hotel and its grounds for the first time in 1998 with my mother and stepfather. Before even entering the hotel, I took off across the grounds, and toward the lake, making a b-line to the tree where the characters met in the movie, and my mother was absolutely stunned, to say the least. She said, "It's as though you've been here before!" (I had not, of course!) Weird, how I just knew where to go.

I've been a fan of that time period for years - 1912, which is also the same year the Titanic sank.

As for the guy's infatuation with a woman in a picture, not all obsessions end so well. Women tend to not want to be the object of someone's obsession; it makes for a dangerous situation for them, if you get my drift.

But I like how you compare the two scenarios.


Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

9 Months Ago

Thank you! This is first person fiction.

I'm impressed you were there! I adored .. read more
As a reader, I was captivated by this first-person account of how a single picture led to an unexpected connection and infatuation with a young woman. The writer’s honest and open reflections on their experience of getting to know this person through chats and arguments adds an authenticity to the story that makes it relatable and engaging.

The writer’s comparison of their own experience to that of the main character in the movie "Somewhere in Time" adds an interesting layer of depth to the story. The parallels between the two infatuations, while different in nature, show how the power of an image can be strong enough to spark a deep emotional response that lasts.

The writer’s affection for this young woman shines through in their words, and it's clear they have a deep appreciation for her beauty, personality, and even her strong legs. But what really stands out is how they are invested in getting to know her, arguing and all, and hoping to build a connection that lasts.

Overall, this heartwarming and engaging story speaks to the power of a single photograph and the unexpected ways it can shape our lives. It's a reminder that sometimes, the things that catch our attention the most can lead to meaningful connections and lasting memories.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you.so much Charlotte. I'm very honored by these thoughts and reactions to this write. I .. read more
She is lovely indeed! You rightly said, rain just enhanced her.
This is such a well written story. You familiarize the reader to your thought process and feelings with the aid of the movie and I so appreciate it. I love the way you conveyed the feeling of being overwhelmed and the delightful connection you share. Sometimes, beautiful things happen in life if you believe they will.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Oh thank you! You are so kind and helpful to me. I write this with sheer emotion.
Franky

1 Year Ago

The sad part for me was that Gams didn't like this story. I was sad about that.
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

No big deal if she didn't like this story. You can always write her another one. Its the thought tha.. read more
This is so wonderful, beautiful read

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

2 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad you.took the time.
Great story! I love romantic tales and this is perfect. She is far away yet so close by computer. You’ve talked and argued like couples do. By the way, never saw the Reeves’ movie. I hope you follow up with this story.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Franky

2 Years Ago

You should try to see Somewhere in Time. It's a great romantic movie. Thanks for your review!
Suzanne Sonderleigh

2 Years Ago

There are so many movies I haven’t seen! I’ll look for it.
Franky

2 Years Ago

It means a lot to me that several liked this jerky write. Lol

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

445 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 2, 2020
Last Updated on October 2, 2020

Author

Franky
Franky

MN



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. I used to be with writerscafe from about 2009 to.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..