Episode 1. Grampa Ralph

Episode 1. Grampa Ralph

A Chapter by Franky
"

Grampa Ralph makes regular visits to see Robert and his mother. Gramps is a little precocious but full of personality.

"

As a little boy, Robert was always happy to see his Grampa Ralph. Ralph was Robert's last living grandparent, and Ralph would regularly make the tour visiting all seven of his kids' families. Since grandpa had finally retired from Land O Lakes,  and was now over 70, he had time during the weekdays to visit family.   


At this time of 1970, Ralph had been a widower for over 25 years.  His dear wife Lucy had died of ovarian cancer in 1943. Ralph never remarried. He would respond by explaining simply, "I married a beautiful, wonderful friend.  Why settle?"


Over the ensuing years Ralph developed a fondness for brandy.   Robert was too young to notice,  but in later years he was told by family that Ralph was a 'happy drunk', not a mean one as many others are.  He always treated his grandkids well and would present them with presents.  Sometimes Ralph would make the adults a little uncomfortable with his antics but his grandkids adored him.


Robert knew that when grampa came for a visit, 1) dad would be at work, and 2) mom would serve coffee and cookies. Grampa Ralph and dad didn't get along. There always seemed to be an unexplained tension and a lack of eye contact between them. 


When grampa came to visit he would ask Robert about his bike riding prowess, and whether Robert had any girlfriends.  Robert would spend most of these times smiling, trying to keep up with grampas jokes, and eating chocolate chip cookies.  


Robert was fond of grampa Ralph because he would often always say things that made mom just a little nervous. Then Ralph would laugh from his belly and he would give Robert a side hug.


Robert also liked that Grampa Ralph would occasionally 'kidnap' him and take him on a guys only trip to Mcdonalds. There they would order lots of french fries and see how many ketchup packets they could go through.   


Maybe the best feature of these visits with gramps was the fact that Roberts' three older sisters, and older brother would generally be at school when grampa visited. Robert's younger brother Chris was too young to get much out of the trips to McDonald's.


One time when gramps visited he mentioned with a glint in his eye that he was going on vacation the next week.  "Where to grampa?"   


"I'm going west young man!" Gramps said rather dramatically.  "I wish you could come along."


Robert learned that Grampa was going to Montana to spend time with his other daughter MaryAnn.  MaryAnn, and her husband John, had a working ranch with a guest house where gramps would be staying for the summer.


It was quite a while later that Robert was finally told that grampa had died of a heart attack while staying with Mary Ann in Montana.


The rest of the family didn’t seem to know how to tell Robert, and Robert didn't know how to take this news so he wouldn’t  talk about it.  Years later Robert asked his mother, "Why didn't you ever tell me Gramps was sick, or that he had heart problems?   You had just told me he went on vacation!"    


His mother answered with, "Honey he wasn't sick that we knew about. Grampa died suddenly while staying out there. He died on vacation. It was a shock to all of us."


"I wish he hadn't ever gone on vacation!"  



© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a special touching story. I never really knew my grandparents either so no love lost 🙄
But I loved reading about their special trips just them two. Wished you'd given a couple more examples of the jokes gramps would make. But I like this beginning.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much! I'm thrilled you read and liked it. 😊



Reviews

What a sweet story. I miss my grandparents. I enjoyed reading this.

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

3 Months Ago

Thank you Tina. What a wonderful comment! Have a great day.
This is beautifully written, it recalls old and recent memories of losing the people I loved the most and loved me the most ever… still aching every time 😢

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

What a wonderful comment. Thank you.
Ioana Mihai

1 Year Ago

Thank you for this story. I will keep reading further
This seems to be the opening chapter of a novel and the introduction of the main characters. Grandpa Ralph is colorful but exits the story early. I think Robert will be the main character and the following chapters will unfold from his perspective.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you. And yes, what you mention is true. Robert grows up in the following episodes.
This was a special bond between Robert and Grandpa Ralph. Is it based on someone in your life? The story reminds me of the movie, Little Miss Sunshine and a bond between a grandpa and his granddaughter. He is a lot like Ralph and he encourages his granddaughter, who is a little awkward, to enter a dance competition. This results in a family adventure to travel to the competition and is bittersweet.

I will read more of your episodes.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Hi Shelley! Pleased to meet you. Thank you for reading and giving me your nice thoughts. Take .. read more
This the first episode is written very clearly, concisely and I really appreciate how artfully you lay emphasis on the bond Robert shared with Ralph. I like the simple, yet compelling storytelling here. A fine character sketch of Grampa done. The end of the story is sad yet interesting owing to the fact of the closeness the young boy shared with his granfather. I am left wondering of the impact this will have on the boy short and long term. A very interesting starting episode.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much my new friend. I'm so glad you like this. I am encouraged more now to write more.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

You are most welcome dear Frankie. I'll be back soon for more.
I realize this episode is brief. The following episodes are quite a bit longer and full of more detail.

Posted 1 Year Ago


This is a special touching story. I never really knew my grandparents either so no love lost 🙄
But I loved reading about their special trips just them two. Wished you'd given a couple more examples of the jokes gramps would make. But I like this beginning.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much! I'm thrilled you read and liked it. 😊
Frankie,
I feel the writing doesn't capture Robert.
May I suggest re-writing this chapter into the first person?
I think it will make a big impact.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

So sorry I just noticed this review. Yikes. I never saw it until now. Actually I've rewritten.. read more
Omg, so sad and touching. Whenever I was a child and someone died, I was told they went to heaven, and I would see them again someday. Kind of ironic that the person who told me this (my mom) can be one of the WORST at dealing with death of anyone I've known...

This is a very moving beginning. I went into it not expecting to be made to feel something, but that's what happened. Definitely a sign of good writing. :)

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

2 Years Ago

I'm so glad! I love this book so far. It's close to my heart although its fiction.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

386 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 8, 2021
Last Updated on February 24, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

MN



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. I used to be with writerscafe from about 2009 to.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..