Episode 2   Little League

Episode 2 Little League

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert gets to join little league baseball, but the experience ends up being a big life lesson.

"

When Robert was 10, in the summer of 1976, he started playing organized baseball for the first time.  His dad enrolled him in Little League. He was thrilled. He loved baseball, either watching it or playing it. For Robert, the best part about playing baseball though was to make dad proud and to give the two of them another way to bond.   


Robert was tall and athletic for his young age, but he knew little about actually playing the game of baseball. He had yet to learn to catch a ball in his glove, and he didn't understand many of the rules yet, but most others on his team were in the same boat. 


Roberts' coach for his little league team was a twenty something dark haired man named Keller. Robert didn't know if that was his coach's first name, last name, or a nickname. Robert was a shy kid so he tended to not ask a lot of questions. He just wanted to be considered a good player on the team, and to fit in. 


Keller had his boys practice at least three days a week for about two hours. Then when the season started,they were to only practice before the games, or one other time per week, since there was a 20 game schedule for the summer.  


Robert was the left fielder, and he was also considered one of the best hitters on the team. It did a lot for Roberts confidence to hit balls in practice that would go all the way to the fence in the outfield.  Robert also had the strongest throwing arm on the team, but he told Keller that he was not interested in pitching. 


There was a pair of twins on the Braves team that season, red haired boys Don and Doug Bratlund. Both Don and Doug were confident, cocky boys who liked to make their thoughts known.  Robert quickly noticed that the Bratlund boys enjoyed making fun of him. They would ridicule Robert for his short hair, or for the clothing he wore. The Bratlund boys seemed to try and anger a certain member of the Braves team every practice.  Robert noticed that when they would succeed in upsetting a player, they would laugh or roar outrageously.  One time one of the Bratlund boys brought some dog poop in a plastic bag to practice. When all the players sat on the bench at the end of practice waiting for Keller to announce a few things, the dog poop was left in Roberts' spot on the bench.  When Robert returned from the bathroom to sit down he sat square on dog poop. This of course provided laughter for the whole team. 


One evening when Robert's dad came home to visit he asked Robert what was wrong.  Robert had been in his room avoiding others. Robert's mother and father at this time were separated and living apart. Robert told his dad about the Bratlund boys and how he was being treated at some practices and games. Robert was surprised at how seriously his dad took this situation. His dad was very clear about how Robert needed to handle the situation in the future when it would come up. Robert felt empowered and needed this pep talk.


The next day when Robert was at practice and saw the Bratlund boys he made strong eye contact, didn't smile or look hesitant.  He didn't answer anyone too quickly, and he appeared more intent and less open to immediate agreement.  This plan seems to have worked.   


The Braves had a game on Saturday afternoon. They were playing the Aztecs who were the best team in the league.  The Braves players were a little more apprehensive since the Aztecs starting pitcher appeared almost adult-like, and possessed both confidence and a great fastball.  


Robert noticed he wasn't in the starting lineup. He was to sit on the bench, along with Don Bratlund, and Cody, a backup infielder. Right before most of the team took the field in the top of the first inning Doug Bratlund discreetly slapped Robert hard across the face and said, "F*****g loser!  You're on the bench Ha!  It’s cuz you suck!"   


Robert felt more humiliated than hurt. He had never been slapped before that he could recall.  Don looked over at Robert and laughed while taking his seat at the other end. Robert couldn't help but get emotional. He said, "We are playing the best team in the league. We are supposed to be a team!"   Don just laughed again. "Oh Robby. Don't be a p***y."   


Before the tears could start to flow Robert walked out of the dugout and looked for his dad in the bleachers only a few feet away. His dad saw him and smiled immediately, then, just as quickly, walked over and said, "Why aren't you in the field?   Is that why you're upset?"


"Keller put me on the bench to start the game.  I'll be in in the 3rd inning." 


"Ok bud. Then there's nothing to worry about right?"  After saying that his dad focussed on Robert's cheek. "Robby, what happened?"   


Robert couldn't speak.


"Robert, if you don't stand up to these guys I will. And they won't like that. I'll scare them so much they’ll pee their pants!"


Robert quickly looked around to see if anyone else was listening.  "Dad, I'll do something. I have to. Because if I don't it will just get worse." 


Robert's dad put his hand on Robert's shoulder and said, "I know you will. I'm proud of you son. I love you. I'll be right out here if you need anything."


"Thanks dad."


At the end of the game Robert noticed Don standing alone near his parents car in the parking lot. Don probably wanted to just leave since he had made an error in the field and he struck out twice. Robert told his dad he would be right back. His dad understood.  "Go get him boy."  


As Robert walked over to Don in the parking lot he noticed 1) his hair line felt tingly,  2) his eyes were more focussed, 3) his arms felt more powerful, 4) his breathing was faster, and 5) when he spoke his voice was deeper.   


When he reached Doug at his parents car Robert said harshly, "Nice game loser!  You sucked!"  Don seemed very apprehensive and only managed,  "Robert, what’s wrong with you?  Your eyes look black."


Robert said menacingly,   "If you ever touch me again I will rip your eyes out and drop my drawers and s**t in your skull!  And I'll do it in front of everyone.  On second thought, maybe you should slap me again!"  Robert grinned and walked away confidently.


While walking away Robert noticed a distinct stain on Doug's pants in the mid section.  





© 2023 Franky


Author's Note

Franky
As these episodes move on, Robert will start to develop a stronger, more assertive, even violent personality.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yikes! It's the kid that's always shy and quiet, that takes crap every day of his life that worries me. We all get enough, and when we do, there is nothing but hell to pay!

You write rather well, I must say. I can see this happen a bit like watching a film.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

9 Months Ago

Thank you! Well said.



Reviews

Love the dog s**t in the bag part!

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

3 Months Ago

Lol. Thanks! I enjoyed writing it.
Yikes! It's the kid that's always shy and quiet, that takes crap every day of his life that worries me. We all get enough, and when we do, there is nothing but hell to pay!

You write rather well, I must say. I can see this happen a bit like watching a film.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

9 Months Ago

Thank you! Well said.
Robert's Dad sounds like a caring, understanding father. I like your use of dialogue; it would be effective to use it when you first introduce the conflict with the twins. When my husband, Tom was alive, he use to tel stories about his dad when he was a child. When Tom was in the second grade, his pants ripped open in the seat. He was mortified. His dad brought a pair of jeans to school for him and when he saw how upset Tom was, he said, "Tommy, it's not like you s**t your pants!"

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

You made me laugh in your wonderful comment. Yes, Robert's father is caring albeit imperfect as this.. read more
This really really thrilled me as I love standing up to bullies. Always here to fight for the underdog. Reading about the twins, their excesses certainly made my blood boil. I loved to see Robert blossom from a sufferer into a strong fighter. As written in your author's note, I'm not surprised he turns to be violent as we are shaped so much by our early experiences. The book gets more interesting with every chapter.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Year Ago

Awww. Thank you Divya. I hate bullies too.
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

You're most welcome. :)
Well now I bet that kid won't be bullying Robert anymore if he knows what's good for him. Ok, I must continue on in Roberts life adventures.

Posted 2 Years Ago


I would probably give terrible advice to a kid in this situation

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

2 Years Ago

Tell me. What would you recommend?
Unforgiven II

2 Years Ago

Probably spitting in their face or something, lol
I didn’t know which direction you would take this story, but I’m glad he stood up to the bully. I felt like I wanted to slap both those boys. And then I think, “what is their home life like?” I like reading about Robert. You write so well, I feel like I’m in the stands watching the game.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

2 Years Ago

You are very encouraging to me Suzanne. Thank you so much.
This is a really good chapter. I am not really into baseball, but everything in this is really interesting. Like practicing with dog poop. How he handled the bullying was great; I never really had that experience of my parents telling me to stand up to it.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

2 Years Ago

Thanks Jennifer! I appreciate you reading and your feedback.
It looks like Robert has found some courage, and it comes with an edge. Hopefully, he'll get to focus more on the sport now. Oh, do I hate bullies!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

2 Years Ago

I hate them too. I've even had to confront them recently. As I'm getting too old for that!
Ha!! He scared the crap out of that bully-a*s. Good for him. I'm surprised the coach never paid witness to these troublemakers, 'cause it sounds as if they've been doing it for awhile.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

2 Years Ago

I made the coach out to be very pro baseball but not really great with kids.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 12, 2021
Last Updated on February 24, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

MN



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. I used to be with writerscafe from about 2009 to.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..