Oh My God

Oh My God

A Story by The High Priestess
"

God speaks to us. You just have to listen.

"
I have this one grandaunt who loves to preach her religion to others. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that she's doing it because.. she just likes it. Imagine you discover a good movie and you want your friend to watch it. Unfortunately, not everyone has the same taste, right? 

Then one time, me and my father went to visit her. I was not surprised that she opened it up to me. I honestly feel like my father is a recruiter bringing me to their spokesperson. And so the initiation begins, she started on how they become part of this religion, why they believe that it's the best for me, etc. I felt a little uncomfortable as they try to convince me of their viewpoints. To avoid any misunderstanding and to show my respect, I just listened without saying a word.

I'm the kind of person who is willing to consider all point of views. I don't immediately reject it when I hear something that goes against what I believe. I will still keep my ears and heart open. From time to time, I consider some beliefs if it made sense to me.

My grandaunt mentioned something about getting an award when you do good deeds, and that they will be sent to paradise as long as they worship God. I think that the award that she said is the good Karma. In Catholicism, it is said that in order to enter paradise, one must accept Jesus Christ. Some interpret it literally, which leads them to worship Christ even though he is merely another spiritual human being who worships God. If you take a moment to study the content of the Bible, you'll realize that it's metaphorical.

I think all religions have valid points. Each of these religions have both strong and weak qualities that I can identify. I was raised a Catholic, but I don't agree with many of their customs. I practice what feels right to me. I don't think I need to be part of any religion to be spiritual. Spreading love is the key. As long as you have a good moral and a sense of responsibility.

Imagine them claiming that you will not enter heaven if you do not practice this particular faith. So, you're telling me that if these other nice individuals don't share your religious ideas, they won't enter heaven? I don't want to believe that God is egotistical based on how they think God is.

People think that heaven is an actual place, up up in the sky. And God is a white-bearded old man. While I believe God can be found anywhere, Paradise is something that exists inside of us. And God is a tremendously potent source, not a being with dualistic desires. What would happen if I did not restrain myself and told her my perception of God? Would I be treated with the same respect as I treated her? Would you?

© 2023 The High Priestess


Author's Note

The High Priestess
Thank you for reading. Not trying to tell here what is true or not. Just my truth.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A powerful and profound poetic undertaking, yes, bare one's soul and say it as it is as here you convey similar thoughts and points of view as myself, we are all human beings with a conscious set apart from the fauna, flora that share this beautiful planet, we know right from wrong and religion is very much a manmade divisive, dissenting, subjective interpretation, I'm with you here.. God is Love..

' I don't think I need to be part of any religion to be spiritual. Spreading love is the key. As long as you
have a good moral and a sense of responsibility. '

Inspiring

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The High Priestess

1 Year Ago

Thank you for reviewing, Tom. I'm glad that there are people like you who fully understand and resp.. read more



Reviews

I don't preach or proselytize. But this is my testimony. I believe Jesus Christ is God. Not just a man but God in the flesh. Which is what the prophet Isaiah calls Him Immanuel, Literally, "God with us." Jesus clearly said of Himself, "I and my Father are One" and told Peter that if Peter had seen Him he had seen the Father. He told the scribes and Pharisees that all their books and scripture were nothing but testimonies of Him. He doesn't leave anyone the "option" of saying He was a prophet or a good man. Because nobody says the sort of things He said except a devil, which is what the Scribes and Pharisees claimed He was; a lunatic akin to someone claiming they are an eggplant or God in the flesh as all the apostles agree with His own testimony that He is, was and is to come, The Almighty God. John calls Him, "The Word" and so does Isaiah. But John says In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word WAS God and "we" (the apostles) have seen Him. And that the Word was made flesh and lived among them as a human being. His birth, history, death and resurrection testify to the fact along with the testimony of all the prophets and the disciples as well as the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. That is what I know to be the Truth and the One I know to be the Truth, the Way and the Life. This is my testimony as well because I am commanded to confess with my mouth the Truth by my faith. This is NOT a religion to me at all. In fact, I believe almost all organized religions of the world including those which claim to be "Christian" religions to be greatly in error. Many of them will tell you that the Bible is the Word of God. But it is NOT. The Word of God is God and was known to the apostles by the name of Jesus Christ. Not a religion but my Faith, my Hope, my Love and my Life.

Posted 1 Year Ago


The High Priestess

1 Year Ago

That is very interesting, Fabian. We might not share the same belief about God but we do have one in.. read more
Fabian G. Franklin

1 Year Ago

The Bible is merely a map to me. And a map is a useful tool, particularly to those who are lost. One.. read more
A powerful and profound poetic undertaking, yes, bare one's soul and say it as it is as here you convey similar thoughts and points of view as myself, we are all human beings with a conscious set apart from the fauna, flora that share this beautiful planet, we know right from wrong and religion is very much a manmade divisive, dissenting, subjective interpretation, I'm with you here.. God is Love..

' I don't think I need to be part of any religion to be spiritual. Spreading love is the key. As long as you
have a good moral and a sense of responsibility. '

Inspiring

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The High Priestess

1 Year Ago

Thank you for reviewing, Tom. I'm glad that there are people like you who fully understand and resp.. read more
Its very important that you read your Bible when it comes to religion and what you should believe. Keep an open mind to the things you hear but compare it to what the Bible says about it. In the Bible Jesus says I am the way. No other gods can say that only Jesus. And that was a god-given right his his only son who is intern part of God himself like you are part of your father and part of your mother. Having Jesus is important. Putting him first is most important. That's in the Bible not just a belief. But your relationship with God or Jesus is very personal and should be protected. After all it's your soul. Only you can determine what eternity is going to be like. The Bible can help you get there. Good writing

Posted 1 Year Ago


The High Priestess

1 Year Ago

Thank you for reviewing, Babbette. I appreciate your take on this.
I think you are wise. You are open minded and are prepared to listen,
and form an opinion of your own. There is nothing worse than being steamrollered into making important decisions before you have the facts. My Dad was a Catholic and my mother was Protestant. They respected each others views. We were allowed to decide for ourselves. I have to say I am not a fan of organised religion but I am a very spiritual person. Each to their own. I enjoyed the read. Thank you.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The High Priestess

1 Year Ago

I also see my self as spiritual as I grow. I developed my own practices, also not into a specific re.. read more
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

You are very welcome. Choice is so important .
i think religion/faith is a personal/private individual thing and we should respect a boundary regarding it and not cross it. you obviously have thought about your beliefs and guard them closely (as well you should) while keeping an open mind and i think that is commendable ... :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The High Priestess

1 Year Ago

I appreciate your insights, Pete. You are right, we shouldn't cross each other's boundaries. The mes.. read more
You make valid points in an extremely important topic. I'm impressed by how well you've delved into this dicey topic.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The High Priestess

1 Year Ago

It really is dicey. I have this courage to write about this certain topic because I know that I have.. read more
Franky

1 Year Ago

I have my beliefs too. And, my beliefs have changed or adjusted several times so I get the problem.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 11, 2023
Last Updated on March 12, 2023
Tags: Religion, Spiritual

Author

The High Priestess
The High Priestess

Philippines



About
I strongly believe that our souls speak through the form of art. I love to paint as much as reading poetry. I find every writers interesting, the way that they express themselves. I want to enhance my.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Barren! Barren!

A Poem by DIVYA