Hollow Heart

Hollow Heart

A Poem by Andrew Br
"

This is a short piece that I wrote a few years back. It just sums up what it is like to feel like your goals and dreams are simply out of reach.

"

I look up to the burdensome stars and see the darkness that consumes them. The Clouds of night are keeping them from view. I realize then that my soul is hindered by the monotonous drone of this life that holds me captive. I do nothing. I know nothing. Fear spreads its spiny fingers across my sunken chest. They have such a grip on my shallow heart. It pains me to see what I am worth. I hide my eyes in fear of who I have become. I turn to run, but my feet are planted like the autumn trees. Firm beneath the soil are my toes. Like roots they soak up the stench from the landfills. I hate their bitter taste, but have nowhere to go. I am captured by my lethargy. A hostage to my nothingness. The only thing left to do is to carve my legs from the solid ground. Amputation is the only thing that will set me free, so I take hold of my tongue. It's words cut deep into my flesh, ripping muscles and tearing tendons. The pain is greater that I anticipated, but what else can I do? With the final lashing, my body is free. Legs like stumps rooted next to my weak body. I slowly become the corpse that I have always known to be. My arms pull and scrape at the ground, but I only rake up fresh soil. This is the place in which I was destined to die. Apart from my roots, but with no strength to lead me to the place I longed to go. I draw my final breath through exasperated lungs and find that death comes easy to those that have nothing else to live for. So, here my body wilts. Like dying foliage my corpse becomes the earth that I once feared. I return to that solid mass a green and hellish plant. Fungus resides within me and insects rent out my organs. They feast on the fat that weighed me down. The burdens are no longer mine to bare. Now there is only peace. Peace or more dominantly remorse for the life that I chose to give up. The Life that I did not know how to live. My souls wanders, but my mind is now gone and I can finally rest upon the trodden earth. Sleep comes so easily after the shade of night.

© 2013 Andrew Br


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Kansas or Dio could never convey my feelings. I hope to read more.

Posted 9 Years Ago


i love revisiting your work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow so deep and much different than I expected to read after I read the description.
Really full of meaning and depth, very dark and depressing though haha.
You describe goal's and dreams being out of your reach, very differently, may I say.
Great write though :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


This was a wonderful write. I loved the last line the most. Great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


This was great ....I am absolutely enamoured with the line "insects rent out my organs"........well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Death is the road to awe. This poem reminds me of the scene in the graphic novel : The Fountain - when he eats the sap from the tree of life.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Simple mathematics can solve the over all question

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

443 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2013
Last Updated on February 26, 2013
Tags: life, death, heart, shallow

Author

Andrew Br
Andrew Br

Saint Charles, MO



About
I write what i feel. I prose what I think. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by C. L. Aemon