THE FIRST, SECOND AND THIRD LESSON OF POETRY

THE FIRST, SECOND AND THIRD LESSON OF POETRY

A Poem by Bear

   Writing  a poem is just like writing a short story, you need to include the 3 W's (Who, What and Why) if you want your readers to understand your work. Many poets only write part of the story, they make the mistake of thinking everyone is in their head and assumes everyone knows or understands what they know. Say you are writing a poem about a girl you know, if you don't tell that to your readers how are they going to understand about the Who of your poem. I read hundreds of poems that say things like "She broke my heart" but never bother to explain who she is or how she did it or even why she did it before they move on to something else like "I forgot her and moved on". If you read a book that was so cryptic or vague you most likely would lose interest in it and not finish reading it. I tell every poet I know they need to have someone read their poetry out loud to them so they can hear how it sounds. When you read it yourself your mind fills in the gaps because it knows the whole story, but when you listen to it being read out loud to you, you'll only hear the words written. Hearing it read to you is the best way to catch the small mistakes we all make.
                   Bear


THE SECOND LESSON OF POETRY

A Poem by Bear

   Vocabulary! Write it the same way you would say it. Another mistake I see all the time in poems is where someone used a word that they didn't understand what the word really meant. This is the problem of using just a thesaurus, you look at a list of words with the same meaning but this is not always true. An example of this is the word LOST, say you are writing about something you lost, well absent is the first word that comes up on your thesaurus. An absent sock doesn't really mean the same thing as a lost sock. Also, you can't smell green or see happy without explaining just what you mean. Oh you can say (It was such a good day you could see the happiness.) If you use just that line without a supporting line then people are not really going to understand. Oh, you will get comments on your work but if you were to ask people what they thought that line meant their answers would be as vague as that line. Some of the best poems use simple words to get great depth and emotional meaning so: write it the same way you would say it and only use words that you know what they mean and if you are going to use a writing tool like a thesaurus also take the time to look the word's meaning up. Dictionary.com - The world's favorite online English dictionary! is a very good reference site for any and all writers.
                                   Bear


THE THIRD LESSON OF POETRY

A Poem by Bear

    What is the difference between a poem and a short story? Styling and sentence structure! A poem can be broken up into stanzas (an arrangement of a certain number of lines, usually four or more, sometimes having a fixed length, meter, or rhyme scheme) whereas a story is broken up into paragraphs (a distinct portion of written or printed matter dealing with a particular idea, usually beginning with an indentation on a new line). Poems tend to be read with a meter or set timing for each line (much like a song), and a story is read at the same pace all the way through. Sentence structure also dictates the length of sentences, if you have ten words in a line and two in the next pairing line then you have changed the flow and meter the poem will be read. I am not saying each line should be the same length, I am saying that the length of each line determines how the poem is read. Think of it like this, long lines are read slow and short line fast, slow fast slow fast is a rhythm or pattern that make sense but slow slow fast slow slow slow fast fast is not. Try it, read a few poems out loud and see for yourself how the timing and flow is changed by different sentence length.

Well, that covers the basics of writing poetry. Feel free to send me a note if you have any questions, I will be happy to answer your questions if I am able.
                                 Bear


                      ANOTHER LINK JUST ADDED TO A GREAT WRITING TOOL
Grammarly makes you a better writer by finding and correcting up to 10x more mistakes then your word processor, do yourself a favor and check it out.
https://www.grammarly.com/1?affiliateID=1959&affiliateNetwork=ho
Or try this link https://app.grammarly.com/

                                    JUST ADDED
Sorry everyone but It occurred to me that I should have included this link from the very beginning http://www.naturalreaders.com/index.html This it the text to speech program I use. There are other programs, I like this one because it is easy to adjust the speed and voice sound to my liking

I just came across this website and fell in love with it, if you only want one site to help with your writing this is it!!! http://www.wordhippo.com/

Well, it seems I have overlooked a very helpful writing tool: The Thesaurus! If you have never used one it is a dictionary of words with the same or nearly the same meanings, it is a great writing tool that lets you find just the right word. Here is the link to the online thesaurus and dictionary that I use if you don't have one.
     http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thesaurus

Another helpful writing tool is the Rhyming Dictionary, for those of you who don't have one here is the link to the one I use from Itools:
     http://itools.com/tag/rhymes
Here is a link to the gateway to the internet and from here you can find anything. A must have link: http://www.refdesk.com/

© 2016 Bear


Author's Note

Bear
As you can see I have put all three lessons of poetry on the one page, I hope this is easier to read.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Some my thoughts on your lesson. In poems and short stories is,for me important secrets and discovering during the reading.when I write I let reader to cooperate and let him create own version what he or she reading. Flow in poem is important but don't must kill mesage and my own language. Same with grammar sometimes bad grammar can better express my feeling then right one. On other hand I think you should be very neat what are you writing. Think what kind of impact this,will have on reader. What are you trying say. Find right form .Find right flow and build strong base of your structure . Be open and,focus on what are you doing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Bear

6 Years Ago

I welcome your thoughts, I wrote these guidelines over 20 years ago to help members of a poetry grou.. read more
Hi my name is Roxane. I stumbled across this very valuable piece of knowledge for me and my poetry. I began writing back in the 70's(1st grade). It wasn't til recently I picked up my flow. However some knowledge left me over the years. Your lessons on poetry brought my memories to light. Thank you very very much. can I save this for future references?

Posted 6 Years Ago


Bear

6 Years Ago

Feel free to use them as you wish, I wrote these for a poetry group I was part of back when poetry.c.. read more
Thankyou for guidance sir, its very helpful...

Posted 6 Years Ago


Bear

6 Years Ago

I hope you checked out the links at the bottom, they lead to some very helpful writing tool.
Thanks for sharing, this is very useful.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Bear

6 Years Ago

Thank you for stopping by, be sure to check out the links to some useful writing tools at the bottom.. read more
Avia

6 Years Ago

You're welcome, i sure will.
Learnt much from your explantion and I appreciate your efforts to make us learn something of utmost importance and sharing some knowledge with us..Thank you..:)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Bear

6 Years Ago

Thank you and it was my pleasure, I hope you checked out the links at the bottom as there are some v.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Jeepers, I give no thought to any of the above (perhaps it shows !!)
Personally I would find this to restrictive. I write from head to key to post with little or no editing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Bear

7 Years Ago

Not long after poetry.com started the publish craze back in the 90's I put this together for my stud.. read more
Gee

7 Years Ago

To the bin it would have been then. Cheers Bear
OK, but, Sir,
1. Not knowing too much about the Who, Why and What is sometimes a benefit ... allows the reader to use their imagination and perhaps, identify.
2.You are right, we should know what we are saying ,but sometimes ambiguity adds to the mystery of the poem(if that is your intention!)
3.You are right.. tried and tested forms of poetry are good, But sometimes an unconventional 'deviance' can be interesting. and of course there are many many different forms of poetry each with their own merit!
Finally, I think ... if you use too many writing aids it may destroy the originality and 'heart' of the poem, don't you think? The thesaurus etc can be marvellous and give rise to all sorts of creativity.
I am just glad there is Spell Check, as I am actually dyslexic! But thank you, Bear for all the advice. I have read it and inwardly digested it, and I will bear it in mind hen I next write (but I often go for the unconventional! I always tick my poems as 'experimental'!!!!!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Very glad you shared this. However, there's something to be said about the air of mystery...some things are not meant to be known by all. ; )

Posted 7 Years Ago


Bear

7 Years Ago

That is true, but again there should be a page like this for those who want to know. Even if you hav.. read more
This has got to be my new writing lesson henceforth! And a lesson can't be reviewed..
So all I can say is a heartiest THANKS from a writer to a writer :)

Cheers to good writing !


Posted 7 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Bear

7 Years Ago

I am just trying to repay the help I received from my Aunt who wrote song lyrics in the 40's and 50'.. read more
Daisy

7 Years Ago

Absolutely :)
This shall be my new guideline especially the lesson about vocabulary. I'm often guilty of that

Posted 7 Years Ago


Bear

7 Years Ago

It took me years to learn these rules even though they were explained to me when I was a teenager by.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2339 Views
42 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 14 Libraries
Added on March 19, 2015
Last Updated on April 7, 2016

Author

Bear
Bear

KS



About
I am no longer taking read request as I will be away for a few months. more..

Writing
REINCARNATED REINCARNATED

A Poem by Bear



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic