Ars Gratia Artis

Ars Gratia Artis

A Story by Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen
"

Latin - "Art For Art's Sake" I'm gonna go crazy on the next person who thinks they know what art is, and tells me how to do poetry.

"

I'm trying to understand why some people around here think they know what art is. I've seen so many reviews and things claiming 'you have no muse!' ...'poetry has to rhyme' ---you get the point, I'm sure you've recieved those types of reviews before.

 

Point is, those of you leaving those types of reviews for other writers truly do not know what art is. Poetry does not have to rhyme - it is merely an rythmic, visual expression and the perfume of someone's soul dating back to greek times and will probably continue long after you and I are no longer on this planet. To be honest, there was a time I thought poetry was dying - but I am so happy to be proven wrong.

 

You claim to be a serious writer ... I'm kind of borderline. Though I take my work seriously only because it is my passion and has saved me from Life's trials and tribulations through my hardest of times. While on the other hand, there are times where I write 'whiney poetry' as I call it and despise it - it makes me feel better in the end. It is not because I have 'no muse' - It is because I want to unleash whatever demon is inside my very soul. Sometimes it doesn't matter all that much to me on how it comes out. As some of you know I have mental issues, and writing is my escape - otherwise I wouldn't be writing today ... I'd be dead.

 

There are some mezmerizingly wonderful writers on this website that create the most beautiful works of art I've ever seen. And I mean it, and I'm lucky to have become friends with most of them. But some people also have taken their work and turned it into a popularity contest rather than something enjoyable. That shouldn't be. I quote Charles Bukowski 'So You Want To Be A Writer' when I say if you're writing for money or fame, drugs, a girlfriend or boyfriend, constantly searching for words to make it in to poetry - if it doesnt come bursting out of your soul like a rocket - don't do it. You're not a true artist, nor are you a true writer. Art cannot be rushed...I've learned that many times through my encounters with Writer's Block.

 

If you are using drugs - or are under the influence, do not consider yourself an artist. Clearly, you are not using your pure soul. You're using the intoxicated soul - it is not the real you it is the toxin controlling you. Sure, maybe there are drugs out there that 'influence' creativity but again this not the real and pure soul of an artist. It sickens me that there are people around here who are like that, continuing to label themselves as artists and writers. I'm sorry to inform you but you are not. And you're using the pen in senseles manor and taking advantage of it, and I do not consider that true art. It is shameful and disgraceful art.

 

So in conclusion, if you think you really know what art is - I honestly don't think you do - forget what you have learned in school about poetry and art and express what ever truth only you hold inside, not letting anyone else tell you otherwise. Giving honest critques and no revenge reviews is the best thing any writer can recieve - its what makes them into something better. And don't judge someone on one peice, writers have good pieces, and bad pieces.  Ars gratia artis!

 

Art for Art's sake

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen


Author's Note

Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen
I've had a rant up here before stating this before the crash. and I'm just writing this for the hell of it, since I have nothing better to do.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i read every word ,and every one i agree with ,,as you say,if it does not come bursting out of your soul like a rocket,,its always the same with me ,i never force myself ,i just let the words go in time ,very well written ,could not agree with you more ,all true what you said

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love it!!!!!! I worry about the parts where you tell people who are under the influence of drugs that they are not real artists. i feel that is not true, granted I am not on drugs, but still you or anyone else are not the ones to set that standart for who is an artist and what characteristics make them an artist. I'm not tryuing to be mean I am just beinging this to your attention. believe me, the last thing I want to do is make you think i am bashing your views, what you see as an artist is not wrong. It may be a bit biased though, in the ned for you to feel like a true artist yourself you feel the need to bash the others who do not fit your criteria. Gah here i go playing shrink again! my apologies. I have family and friends who are influenced by drugs, and I have to admit that they do suprise me when they see more to the world than I do, i have learned a lot from those that I know who are on drugs, not including don't do drugs of course. It is unfair to tell people that they are not artists because they do not follow the rules. Art should not have rules, it is a result of the mind and the heart working as one to make something beautiful for others to onlly strive to be better than.
i hope my words didn't hurt you... i would hate myself if they did.... Thank you very much for submitting this in my rant contes I really loved reading this!

Posted 16 Years Ago


Very well put. I have had a few of those comments as well. I usually write from the soul or spirit. Writing is therapy for me most of the time. Sometimes I write for fun. Where would life be without fun? I do get picky about spelling because I am so bad at it but I try not to step on any toes. I like all forms of poetry and I like to try my hand at different forms, just to see if I can. That's art, growing and learning. Wonderfully penned. You have done a excellent job. Forgive my ramblings, it's one of those days.........LOL

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i would have to say this is perfect, and i couldnt find any way to improve upon the idea,
or wording, form sunstance, your really boiled it down here to a refined messege of what
defines art, and i would have to agree on many knowledgable aspects, you present
the entanglement between those who are entwined in the art world, expressing opinions
but trying to come across as fact, i am sure many a people could lear something from your
writing here, and i am glad to have read it, really draws perspective as well as casts a light, mike

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you for the reality check, Rayne. I agree with every word you wrote. I sincerely respect you for having the guts to post this. You are amazing and so is your writing because, yes, it comes from inside of your soul.
Thank you for sharing.



Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i read every word ,and every one i agree with ,,as you say,if it does not come bursting out of your soul like a rocket,,its always the same with me ,i never force myself ,i just let the words go in time ,very well written ,could not agree with you more ,all true what you said

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I had someone tell me one of mys tories had no feeling. I laughed.

Agree in heart, mind and spirit! Though I had written whilst 'under the influence', it never sees the light of day, but becomes a piece of what I call 'reference material'. I do have a poem about being on a 'vision quest' and it was written after the experience-very creepy, but funny, too.

I admit I have an ego when it comes to what I write. I guess thats because I put so much stock into my paper planet. If I hadn't have written my novel, I'd be six feet under now. Writing has saved my life.

I like to think Art is like the falling snow. Its pure and each snowflake is different. Its beautiful, but it can be dangerous. I gave my Art a voice through written words and I love her dearly, though at time she's threatens my very existence.

Excellent rant!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rayne, i could not agree more... i have had a few of those sort of comments.. i only write free flow .. i don't write so well but like you, i have mental issues and it is cheaper than therapy .. plus people do not have to read what i write if they don't want.. seldom do i send read requests.. i did for ode to new orleans because of the feelings i have regarding that catastrophe and city ..You make good points in an artistic manner...

Chloe
xoxo

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

*looks at Eagle's review* Yeah I would take whatever he says with a grain of salt, since he's apeshit. But anyways this was a wonderful rant and yes I have gotten the whole poetry needs to rhyme crap, we actually discussed it lol. Meh art is different for some people a dog takes a crap on a sidewalk someone comes up drops a little drink umbrella in it, it's art. My point being is that art is what you make it and no one can truly define what art is

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

visual expression and the perfume of someone's soul "
The above line in your writing is one of the most expressive
thoughts I have read on poetry. Exquisite.
Otherwise, you tell the critics like I would like to be capable
of doing. Outstanding rant !
Thank you. Please keep doing it .
---- Eagle Cruagh

Posted 16 Years Ago


Art is anything that makes the viewer ponder what art really is... lol... or at least thats what i've been told... Great write... i hate when people don't see that writing is a form of expressing our emotions and our thoughts... I love it! Great job!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

631 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 6, 2008
Last Updated on March 28, 2008

Author

Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen
Beautifully Tragic xPoetry Queen

Passionate kisses of a mind gone wild, NJ



About
My name is Rayne and I have been writing since high school. I took a long vacation from writing, and slowly starting to come back into it again. I admit that I am not the greatest writer, I'm just doi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Primitive Man Primitive Man

A Story by Rain


     The Chat Room The Chat Room

A Story by Rain