Life after accountancy

Life after accountancy

A Poem by Beccy

I dined on wine and lettuce leaves
and all the surfeit money brings.
I swam with sharks and ate them up,
Oh, how I filled my selfish cup;
And every corner that I trod
some little trinket I partook;
Oft times for sport, (though most
for gain) and never let the rumour
start that I was empty in my heart.

But sinners turn, or so they say,
from hunter to suppliant prey;
and thus on Sundays I aspire
to cast away all of desire;
Give back with equal amplitude,
and trust a prayer may just suffice,
(though quietly I say amen twice)
You know, a kind of just in case
before I leave this lovely place.

© 2019 Beccy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Of course I had to read this one to the bottom line. Love the whimsy of the title. And also the uppettyness of verse 1. The moral shift in verse 2 is the most important bit though, with the back firmly turned on more youthful ambition, indulgence, success etc and the focus shifting to a moral sort of accounting where money and numbers do not feature. The first verse serves to accentuate the second perfectly - with a flawless gear change.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Lol... this is great. I am glad I’m past my ladder climbing years although some of it was fun while it lasted. I am happy now to hang out with friends, write a bit and work for the man as much as I have to. By the way, happy hour at six!!!!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Beccy

4 Years Ago

Only 40 minutes to go 'til six on this side of the pond. Cheers! :))
Crowley

4 Years Ago

Watching football and having a few here, it’s 12:30 Sunday Funday! Karaoke after!
I suppose the understanding that our reign at the top is always only temporary is one of the more important lessons of life. Humbling ourselves voluntarily is no easy thing.

I like that this poem holds itself up like a mirror, and reflects back in the same way a parable does. Didactics have a tendency to put a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths, but a good anecdote can open up the flood gates and get us looking back at ourselves.

Not saying that was your intention with this, but it does have that affect. And then, even, it gives a little more with the last three lines. The human weakness and our grasping against it.

A very cool poem, Beccy.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Beccy

4 Years Ago

Glad my intention came through; though I do try not to preach overmuch, :))

I was th.. read more
Eilis

4 Years Ago

Children seem to change everything. They make the world seem like such a different place.
A very good poem Beccy, beautifully crafted, lyrical, honest. The crispness of lettuce, the depth of wine.
Was surprised it was written so long ago, must check out your more recent stuff.
More things are wrought by prayer than this world ever dreams of.
Go well
>

Posted 4 Years Ago


Ah, a Sunday morning Christian? I say this smiling... because I'm probably one, when I decide to go to church. Your poem is a mirror, and I wonder how others see themselves, if absolutely honest. We have a few devout ones for sure, though I estimate most are as you've painted in this poem. I think you've described a "sinner," Beccy. :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


Beccy

4 Years Ago

Better sometime, than never. :))

I actually attend church regularly, though I would n.. read more
oh look at all the wonderful comments you've got on this shining piece seriofun, and this is from a guy who knows all the variations and volumes of 'amen' and seems to nod and shake his head to the same tune...thanks for the smile this early morning

Posted 8 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the website administrators.
I love the karmic balance you have struck in this superb verse … lead with gratitude.

Posted 8 Years Ago


still one of the finest poems ever written..I return to it often just to let it scratch my face again..

dana

Posted 8 Years Ago


You capture well that we are torn between being ego-centered 'heroes' here on earth and being mere mortals in a brutal universe. See my story Angst on same topic.

Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1793 Views
56 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2015
Last Updated on November 22, 2019

Author

Beccy
Beccy

United Kingdom



About
I'm forty four, single and have a lovely fifteen year old son called Charlie. I've been writing poetry and short stories since I can remember. I have always been an assiduous reader of poetry and real.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


If You... If You...

A Poem by s y e