Famous and Shameless: Chapter Two

Famous and Shameless: Chapter Two

A Chapter by Becky Lawrence
"

I like the concert pictures I keep finding for this :D they're all so neat.

"
Kat sits in the grass. Her headphones play Sum 41 loudly. She hums the tune to herself. The songs bring back memories of her teenage years. When she would sneak out at night to go to concerts with her friends. Sum 41 was the first concert she went to. They were opening for a bigger local band. Kat and her friends lied and told the band they were interviewers so they could get backstage. After that Kat decided to become an actual band interviewer. She laughs at the memories.
"What's funny?" Someone asks.
Kat jumps and pulls the earbuds out. Next to her is Nate. He chuckles. "Don't sneak up on me." Kat glares at him.
"Sorry..." Nate mutters. Kat can smell alcohol on his breath. She frowns.
"What do you want?" Kat doesn't feel like talking to any one right now.
"I was just wondering, since the show is over, do you want to go on that walk?" Nate smirks.
"Sure." Kat doesn't know why she is agreeing. She can't stand rocker-types. Especially the ones that party all the time. 'I'm just doing this to be nice.' Kat tells herself, but she thinks she might actually like this guy. He seems okay, aside from his drinking.
Nate and Kat walk without saying anything to each other. Nate wants to break the silence, but he's afraid of making Kat mad. He's already learned that she doesn't party or drink, two things that Nate does all the time. There are probably more things he does that she wouldn't like.
Why is he so hung up on this? He is Nate O'Neil! He can get any girl he wants, and he has numerous times. But for some reason, he is worried about every word that comes out of his mouth. Is Kat different than all the other girls? No, Nate tells himself, she's just a pretty face. A really pretty face.
Kat speaks after a while. She just says what's on her mind. "It's really bright for nighttime." She states.
"It's a full moon." Nate points to the sky. "Werewolves are out." He jokingly howls.
Kat laughs. "Do you believe in that kind of stuff?" She asks Nate.
"I don't know. There isn't a reason to not believe, but there isn't a reason to believe." Nate looks up at the sky. It's just inky blackness. The city lights are too bright so the stars aren't visible.
"But, what if things like that did exist, wouldn't we know?" Kat is a very thoughtful person. She spends a lot of time pondering things. "Wouldn't we see them?"
"A lot of things exist that people can't see. Emotions are very real, but no one knows what happiness or depression looks like." Nate answers. Kat is amazed that he even has an opinion on this. She always thought that band guys were partiers that would never grow up, not people that cared about what ifs. Is Nate an exception?
Kat comes up with an argument for Nate's claim. "Emotions can be seen. It's showed in people's body language. When you are happy you smile, right? A smile can be what happiness looks like. When people are sad they sometimes cry. Crying is sadness' physical form. With fairy tale creatures, not a lot of people have seen them. And the people that claim to have seen a creature like that tend to be a little looney."
"What if I told you that I've seen a werewolf before? What would you say to me?" Nate looks at Kat. Usually his eyes would wander over her body, but now his eyes are focused on hers and he's watching her expression.
"I'd tell you that it was probably a guy with a hair problem." Kat smiles and laughs softly. Nate loves that laugh of hers. It's bubbly and charming. It's so cliche, but it makes Nate want to laugh too.
'What am I thinking? This girl is just going to be a memory in a few hours. I'm a rockstar for God's sake. I don't have time for girlfriends.' Nate tells himself.
Kat notices that Nate is frowning a little. "Did I say something that upset you?" She asks him.
"No, I'm just thinking." Nate responds.
"What are you thinking about?" Kat asks him. She secretly hopes he says something sweet and romantic.
"I'm thinking about how in a few hours I'll be on the road and you'll just be another girl I met in a city." Nate looks up at the sky again. He doesn't know why he always does that. Looking at the starless city skies like this just reminds him of himself. He's empty, like the sky here. He doesn't have many emotions because he pushed them all out and replaced them with alcohol and girls that he doesn't know the name of. "Chances are, I'll forget you in a few days."
Kat doesn't understand what Nate is saying. "What?" Is all she says. Nate frowns because he was hoping that Kat would say something more, like 'bring me with you'.
He doesn't want to ask her to come with him though. He's afraid of the feelings he's having. Never has he wanted to be with a girl this badly. Usually it's just drunken one night stands, but for some reason he thinks that Kat is more important than that.
Kat isn't sure what Nate is so concerned about. She can't read minds, how is she supposed to know? Nate looks like he is having a war inside his own head. "Are you okay?" She asks.
Nate stops walking. "I have to leave this city soon, but before I do..." He pulls Kat close and kisses her. He runs his fingers through her pink hair.
Kat's first instinct is to push Nate away and yell at him, but she doesn't. Instead, she wraps her arms around him and kisses him back. She hates how his breath tastes like cheep beer, but she ignores that. There's just something about Nate that she likes. She noticed it the second she met him.
Nate stops. "I...I have to go." Nate says so softly he's almost whispering. Even though he says he has to leave, he doesn't let go of Kat. "I'm sorry." He doesn't know how to explain to her that he wants to stay, but at the same time he doesn't.
"It's okay. I get it, you're a rockstar. You don't date." Kat sounds a little angry. But she isn;t mad at Nate, she's mad at herself. Nate is exactly the kind of person she told herself she'd never fall for. He's a drinker, a partier, he usues women, and he doesn't care. But here Kat is, falling for a guy like this.
"If I'm ever in town, I'll be sure to find you again." Nate says. He lets go of Kat.
"Don't find me." Kat tells him. She doesn't want to give herself a chance to fall even harder for Nate.
Nate doesn't say anything. He just walks away.
Kat stuffs her hands in her pockets and walks away too. It's really late, and she should get home before Penelope starts getting worried.
The whole way home Kat thinks about Nate. And Nate thinks about Kat the entire time he is walking back to the bus.


© 2011 Becky Lawrence


Author's Note

Becky Lawrence
On my third cup of coffee and my cat is rolling around on my keyboard... Typing mistakes will be made haha

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on February 2, 2011
Last Updated on February 2, 2011


Author

Becky Lawrence
Becky Lawrence

About
I've been writing since seventh grade. It started as a hobby and became an addiction. I have become an insomniac because of the thoughts and ideas going on in my head. I will read most read request.. more..

Writing