The Other Side: Chapter Five

The Other Side: Chapter Five

A Chapter by Bella-Marie
"

Chapter 5

"

School was unbearable. No one but Harriet knew of my secret, and I suppose that was okay, but then the maddening secrecy was hard to endure. Everything seemed to be way too hard, and because of the stress I was loosing weight faster than I could eat a bowl of pumpkin soup (and I love pumpkin soup).

That Sunday night after the Market was awful. Dad was 'extremely dissapointed in me'. He told me in sad tones that it was quite obvious he didn't want me to a Xyrn - that they were an almost unsavoury race. I told him angrily that he was being racist. He told me off for talking to a stranger. I told him a lot of stuff that should not be mentioned on paper. He was so angry I wasn't allowed on the computer or television for a week.

My teacher knew I was feeling bad, and so on Thursday I was pushed through the door of the school councillor. I was mortified and wouldn't talk to her for a good twenty minutes. However, twenty minutes of painful silence is really just too much so I spilled everything out, from Harriet's Grandfather to my brother.

She sat there, listening thoughtfully, and then said "Do you want to become a Xyrn?"

I was so shocked I didn't answer. The bell went for lunch and I scampered.

But the outburst had shocked some thought into me. Did I want to become a Xyrn? The idea was suddenly tempting - like a delicious lolly in my mouth. I mulled over it after school. The idea was getting more and more interesting, but the cherry on top was Dad and his stupid idea when he came back home from work.

"Darcey!" he yelled. I stopped doing my homework and yelled "YES?" back. He walked into my room, still in his work clothes, scowling something riddiculous.

"Because of your silly behaviour on Sunday, I have decided you are to see a Councillor every Thursday eve."

I spat angrily "What the ****? Are you going to drag me there or something? NO WAY am I doing it!"

"Have it your way," he said, almost sneering, "I'll bring him here."

My middle finger flew up before I had registered the gesture. Dad's eyebrows crinkled together in anger. Then, with a roar of fury, he was out.

I stared at my hand, still poised in mid-air. With a laugh, I let it drop to my side and carried on with math.



© 2009 Bella-Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on September 7, 2009
Last Updated on September 9, 2009


Author

Bella-Marie
Bella-Marie

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand



About
See that picture? Yeah, the profile picture of me. Yeah, yeah, that one! Well, that's my cat, I know! She's so cute, eh! I love my cat, she's the bomb. No, you're cat can't me as good as mine... maybe.. more..

Writing