The Other Side: Chapter Twelve

The Other Side: Chapter Twelve

A Chapter by Bella-Marie
"

Chapter 12

"

After I had yet another nap, Shyzi told me what was going to happen.

"This evening," he said excitedly, "we're going to hold the inviting ceremony. There you will be asked ten questions, examined by the Elders and then named. After your name has been decided upon, you must say these words - " Shyzi thrust a piece of paper into my hands " - and say it with exspression, as these words are the words that make you a Xyrolant."

 

"Up against the blue of Sky

The sadness of the outside fly

Fly away and are never seen

And you are now a Xyrolant, good and sin-free

 

Here in Xyrn we do know

That life will run pain-free and slow

So Xyrolants here, chant away

Live in now, not yesterday."

 

I said this with exspression, feeling the words on my tounge. They were powerful, yet cheesy.

"So what is the chant?"

Shyzi looked excited as he said in a low voice -

 

"New one, welcome

Your sinnings, go

You are now family

Not a foe

We will love and will take care

You are Xyrolant, good and fair."

 

"After that we'll have a humumgous feast," Shyzi continued, "And then we party until midnight. Then we go to bed."

He looked at me with stars in his eyes. I laughed and we talked about everything - from our parents to school. Then, a gong sounded and Shyzi jumped. He took me by the hand and lead me to the biggest hut on the Island.

Inside were the elders, looking solemn but dressy in their flowing white robes. I was whisked away to be fitted with a pale yellow robe by a lady in a black robe. When I was lead outside, I was shocked to see everyone in black robes, chatting around a bonfire. As soon as I appeared, they were silent. The lady set me to the side of the fire. It was really hot.

"HAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAAYAAAYAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAARAAAAAAA!" said the main elder, the old man, surprising me by jumping into the doorway. "Welcome Darcey, they newest member of Xyrn. She will live a long and prosperous life on Xyrn if she abides the rules set by Xynthersit (Zin-ther-sit). Remember! She is the brother of another Xyrn, and so had all the more reason to be welcomed!"

He sat down on a bench and the other elders came from the hut and sat with him. I realized it was dusk. The fire glowed brilliantly.

"Darcey," One elder asked, "Do you like fire?"

"Yes."

"Do you like water?"

"Yes!"

Don't forget that not only can I cross-country run but I can do edurance swimming for hours.

"Do you like the wind?"

"No."

"Do you like the Earth that you live upon?"

"I like how it was before humans mucked it up."

"Do you like Spicy?"

"Yes."

"Do you like salty?"

"No."

"Do you like sweet?"

"Yes."

"Do you like vegetables or fruit?"

"Vegetables."

"Chicken or beef?"

"Chicken."

"Love or life?"

"L..love."

"Those are the ten questions," the elder concluded. She gathered all the other elders into a circle and they murmured importantly.

After a few akward minutes, the chief elder stepped foward.

"We have decided," he announced, "You are to be called... Stravza (Stra-v-za). Strong yet exstravagant."

They got that from ten questions? I wondered, incredulous. But it seemed that the name really suited me, because every time it was called, I knew it was me. It was way better than Darcey.

I loved it. Still do. Darcey is a thing of the past.



© 2009 Bella-Marie


Author's Note

Bella-Marie
I'm sorry if you don't get the last part, she is actually writing this after it all takes place and so there will be a few present tense moments.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on September 20, 2009
Last Updated on September 27, 2009


Author

Bella-Marie
Bella-Marie

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand



About
See that picture? Yeah, the profile picture of me. Yeah, yeah, that one! Well, that's my cat, I know! She's so cute, eh! I love my cat, she's the bomb. No, you're cat can't me as good as mine... maybe.. more..

Writing