A Belonging

A Belonging

A Story by Bella-Marie
"

How did you feel about your first day of high school?

"
The uniform is wrong.

Maroon has always been a comforting colour. Warm and inviting and fresh. My old uniform was soft and shabby and wonderfully comfortable. And it was maroon.

This shade of dreary turquoise makes my eyes sting with tears of sadness.

The skirt is too short... the silly lining making it hard to walk properly. And when the lining isn't there, the skirt is itchy and uncomfortable.

The shirt is stiff, with a million buttons to fumble with and a material that seems to constantly need ironing.

My bag is horribly empty, with only my PE uniform and pen and paper weighing it.

As I hop onto my aged bike, my only consolidation is the fact I am wearing my comfortable Roman Sandals from my Intermediate Days.

The bike uphill is excruciating and I have to stop and push my constraption wearily up the ever-lasting hill. When I arrive, perspiring heavily, at the top, the bike downhill is short and un-fufilling.

When I arrive at the school, puffing and sweating, the large bikeshed is huge and terrifying, dominating a lot of the carpark.

I lock my bike with trembling hands and go to the front gate, hoping to catch my friends. But as I reach the front gate, the shadow of the one-story building engulfs me and I have to turn around.

The school, large and blue, stares at me with a menacing regalty.

I sigh and turn away.

This is home.

© 2010 Bella-Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazingly short, but with so much to say. You are so good with detail and taking your time to bring your reader to where your mind is. That's half the battle of writing! The end makes me wonder if there is anything more? Ever think of expanding this into a book?

Posted 14 Years Ago


I think this could be considered good enough to be in a book of short stories. Amazingly expressive, Leina, love it. Can't think of anything that needs improving, I wish you were not so perfect Leina, it would be more bearable. Don't try to be bad to make me feel better, or else.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 11, 2010
Last Updated on February 11, 2010

Author

Bella-Marie
Bella-Marie

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand



About
See that picture? Yeah, the profile picture of me. Yeah, yeah, that one! Well, that's my cat, I know! She's so cute, eh! I love my cat, she's the bomb. No, you're cat can't me as good as mine... maybe.. more..

Writing