The Sobbing

The Sobbing

A Story by Bella-Marie
"

Happy

"
It was heart-wrenching to listen to. The soft, painful sobs ripped my soul into shreds as I desperately looked for the person in distress.
It was certianly hard to find.
A grey-painted, high-ceilinged room full of wooden crates of every size. I searched fruitlessly, relentlessly, tirelessly, but finding nothing. After every box had been checked, I flopped to the floor, suddenly exhausted. My heart was banging in my chest, and I felt like I wanted to sleep forever.
But the sobbing was still there, echoing through the room like a ghost. I got to my feet and explored the perimetre, finally finding a door - a small one, only big enough for me to slither through. I wrenched it open and squirmed inside.

This room was empty, yet violently pink - it was low-ceilinged but seemed to go on forever. Little confetti hearts were floating down dreamily, and after a little while you couldn't see the pale-pink floor. I sat down, almost drowsy, but the brightness of the room kept me awake. I lay down, cushioned by the mass of paper, and dozed.
Soon, I felt the need to breathe. My eyes opened, and all I could see was a sea of confetti hearts. I stood, and pushed them from my face, but with every breath I took, more hearts would clog my nose and mouth. I pumelled them away, but they were pressing down upon me and I was feeling faint...

I opened my eyes to find myself eating fondue at the dinner table. I was small, no shorter than four foot. I was sitting in a booster seat, with my Mother, who looked ever so young, and my Father, looking handsome and dashing, on either side of me. My brother, around the same height and look as me, scowled at me from across the tablecloth.
"More ice cream, sweetheart?" Mum asked gently, pressing the bowl into my hand. I looked up at her, and said in a shockingly sweet, childish voice "I'm okay thanks, Mum."
"Huh." Suddenly her voice grew louder and she grew taller and fiercer in her seat. Dad began to grow, too. They both sneered at me, eyes flashing red.
"You don't want some?" Mum growled, spoon like a weapon in her huge hand, "YOU DON'T WANT SOME???"
She stabbed the spoon into my heart, but I didn't feel the piercing end dig into my arm, I felt electricity flowing to my chest and creating unimaginable pain...

I was sitting in a meadow. There was blue, cloudless sky above me, and I was squashing diasies where I sat. I stood. All around me was blue sky and endless waist-height grass and daisies. I could see the horizon from every view I had. It was so perfect I fell to my knees and began to cry. Then, that sobbing began again. My heart felt like it was being ripped in two. I began to scream in emotional pain.
Then, the sobbing voice spoke. It came from my pocket.
"Ellena... please wake up."
"I am awake!" I screeched, digging my hand into my pocket. I pulled out a small, heavily creased photo of Adam... which was moving?!
He looked up at me, eyes puffy, face cracked with sadness. "Wake up," he whispered.

And my eyes fluttered open.

Adam stared at me for three whole seconds. Then he gave a low cry of delight. "Ellena!" he crowed, tears still streaming down his cheeks, "You're awake!"
I goggled at him. It hurt everywhere, my head, my legs, my arms, my stomach. I was lying in a bed in hospital, with Adam squeezing my hand. He looked mighty dishevelled, with hair unbrushed, clothes unwashed and face stained with what seemed to be tears.
"Ellena," he whispered, "You're alive."

© 2010 Bella-Marie


Author's Note

Bella-Marie
A take-off from futurama episode.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

haha I love futurama. Which episode? Anyway, I was confused until I read through the end, which is always a good thing, in my book. Keep writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ahh, how sweet. Did that just come out of my mouth? beautiful story. the third paragraph remindes me of Coraline. Sweet ending.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

427 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 26, 2010
Last Updated on August 26, 2010

Author

Bella-Marie
Bella-Marie

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand



About
See that picture? Yeah, the profile picture of me. Yeah, yeah, that one! Well, that's my cat, I know! She's so cute, eh! I love my cat, she's the bomb. No, you're cat can't me as good as mine... maybe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..