Operation Live

Operation Live

A Story by Bella-Marie
"

Seeing into the furutre. It won't happen lkike this but who knows?

"
"Okay, Bella," Nurse Gemma says in her kind voice, "You ready?"
I glance at Mum, who gives a stiff nod and forces a smile. "Have fun!" she chokes, and I laugh nervously.
Sofieke was right - surgery is nerve-wracking. But at least I don't have to have Open-Heart Surgery.
Nurse Gemma pushes me out of the room, and I twist around to wave goodbye to my Mum, but Nurse Gemma pushes me back. "Careful to not over-exert yourself," she warns, smiling, "Because Surgeon Singh will have a fit if you wake up in the middle of surgery," she grins, and we both laugh so hard it echoes around the dismal yellow corridors.
After three long corridors and one ride in the lift, we end up at the doors to the room just off the theatre. Nurse Gemma pushes me through them, and I see a scrubbed anethetist waiting for me. He gives a grin. "Bella!" he says in a warm voice, "Great to see you!"
Nurse Gemma whips my covers off in preperation for the surgery, and I wriggle uncomfortably in the hospital gown. The special clothing I'm wearing underneath for 'privacy' is still incredibly revealing. I lie back down on the matress, breathing shallowly. My Father walks through the doors, gowned and masked. His eyes crinkle in a smile, and I choke. Why am I crying? Maybe it's because I'm scared I'm going to die on the operating table.
The anethetist shoves a mask over my face - the gas it's emitting smells pleasantly of fake grape. "Count backwards from 5," he instructs.
Wow, I think, This must work fast! In the books they say Ten...
"Five..."
"Fooouuur..."
Thr..."
"T..."
My last memory is of Dad whispering "See you soon, love," and the feeling of being pushed foward into a brightly-lit room.
*
"Ouch! Don't punch me like that!"
"Is she awake?"
"God, Good God, let me take a look at her!"
"Squish over!"
"The Surgeon said she'd be up an hour ago."
My eyes flutter open. The window next to me signals a glowing dusk scene. I smile, then cringe as a throbbing pain in my chest overcomes me.
"She is awake!" squeals a voice I know well, and Lyndell is suddenly by my side, eyes alight with intense excitement. On my other side sits Mischeif, bored with Lyndell's screaming, but with another expression I can't identify. When I slowly turn my head to gaze at her, she jumps a little in her seat.
"Hi Bella," she says in a caring voice, and I smile wider, "Your Dad is at the canteen buying some food, and your Mum is going toilet."
"Yeah!" Lundell cuts across Mischeif, "Me and Mischeif came here ages ago, 'cause your Dad texted us, he said you'd be awake soon, but you weren't, but now you are! How're you feeling? You well?"
A buzzing, vibrating noise issues from her pocket. She picks up her phone and groans. "Dad's waiting for me outside," she wails, "And you've only just woken up! Okay, see you two," and strides out.
I wriggle up a bit straighter, aware of the wad of bandages engulfing my chest. Mischeif and I burst out laughing as soon as Lyndell is out of earshot. "Ah, what a charatcer," I say, wiping my eyes with the sheet, "So, what did I miss?"
Mischeif burst out laughing. "I've been waiting here for an hour," she said, almost annoyed, "And you were supposed to be awake ages ago. But the Doctors' weren't worried."
I gave a short laugh, sat up properly, and enjoyed the fact I had lived the operation.

© 2010 Bella-Marie


Author's Note

Bella-Marie
I have Pectus Excavatum which means my sternum sinks deep into my chest cavity (I think????). I may have this operation but I keep getting cold feet, so I try to think positive about it... XD Guess who's who.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hahahahaha. I doesn't take long to guess who Lundell is, man shes a character, at least I'm me. You love surgery why are you scared? Soph tella me you keep telling her that you would have heart surgery for if she was to scared and now your scared

My favourite part is mischief looked bored with...I love it.XD

Posted 13 Years Ago


Sounds like my surgery. The only think I have to comment about is when you said "anethetist," it's "anesthetist" or my preferred word, "anesthesiologist." Sorry, I'm particular about that, because that's what my dad is. Tell me how your recovery goes!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 27, 2010
Last Updated on August 27, 2010

Author

Bella-Marie
Bella-Marie

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand



About
See that picture? Yeah, the profile picture of me. Yeah, yeah, that one! Well, that's my cat, I know! She's so cute, eh! I love my cat, she's the bomb. No, you're cat can't me as good as mine... maybe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


How much? How much?

A Story by Bella-Marie