Gem Undicovered

Gem Undicovered

A Story by Bella-Marie
"

Short, so those who hate long stories can breathe.

"
She's a sweet baby. Stark blonde hair and gorgeous blue eyes - classic European look, if you get my drift.

No. I guess not. But living in a tiny town in Austria, where they still live terrified of the German Allies for Gawd's Sake, you'd recognize a classic German look.

None of the Nurses really like looking after her because of her it. She's like the Perfect German baby, picked up off the streets during WWII, that's how blonde and blue-eyed and utterly perfect she is.
And, as I said before, sweet.

She's got a very long, pointy tounge that she pokes out when the Nurses feed her. It's a colour a shade redder than fuchia, I'd say. Her skin is really good - sort of feathery to touch, and soft like velvet. I suppose she'd have to have good skin, she's a baby.

They set her down beside me every night, even though they know. I try not to let it bug me, but it does. I want to be a proper Mother so bad, but the Nurses say it would "Be unwise in this situation."
Like Hell it would. Prim and Proper English Aldia and Edmund wouldn't want baby and I bonding, would they?

I moaned to Julian about it, but I think he took the same view as the Nurses... don't get too attached. But he stayed for three hours, rocking the baby and singing softly to her.
She's got his hair. But my eyes. And neither of us have pearly white skin, so that's a mystery if you ever find one.

Today was my last day in the Birthing Clinic. I held my baby one last time. I smelt her hair. I stroked her skin. I pressed her against my chest and let the tears seep into her jumpsuit.

Aldia and Edmund stepped out of their fancy BMW, pulled baby out of the Nurse's arms, cradled her and whisked away with her.

I cried to Julian about it over the phone. He came to see me.
He cradled me like Aldia cradled baby, and stroked my hair.
"We'd never have been able to keep her," he whispered in my ear.

"Now you can go back to being a 17 year old."

© 2010 Bella-Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, and I beleive you have undiscovered misspelled in the title, that is all.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ooh, this one pulled at my heartstrings a bit. Quite powerful for a piece so short. A couple minor things:

Nurses say it would "Be unwise in this situation." Seems a bit off to me, I would go with either Nurses say it would "Be unwise" in this situation -or- Nurses say "It would be unwise in this situation."

Something that could pack a bit more of an emotional punch would be if you were to describe the confused and angry (Irrational maybe, but I would be pissed if I had to let go of a child I was carrying around 9 months for chrissake) feelings she felt as she handed the baby to Aldia (or Edmund).

Just my 2 cents and it's great either way :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 13, 2010
Last Updated on October 13, 2010

Author

Bella-Marie
Bella-Marie

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand



About
See that picture? Yeah, the profile picture of me. Yeah, yeah, that one! Well, that's my cat, I know! She's so cute, eh! I love my cat, she's the bomb. No, you're cat can't me as good as mine... maybe.. more..

Writing