COOL JOE, Chapter 6

COOL JOE, Chapter 6

A Story by Betty Hermelee
"

Continuing family saga

"

COOL JOE, Chapter 6

MARIA

 

I wake up at 7:00AM every single morning, just used to it. The kids are up anyway, all four of them, two in elementary school and two in middle school; a lot of noise around this house. I’m the second youngest of us eight kids and boy did I get picked on when I was a mere child. The older kids picked on the younger ones, so I got picked on the second most. It’s like “hand-me-down” clothes too; by the time they get to me, they’re like rags. Actually, now that we’re all adults, I get protected a lot as the second “baby” of Joe and Tess, may they rest in peace.

 

My hubby, Jim, is the owner of a dry- cleaning company on Staten Island and has about 10 employees, nice people, mostly Italians like us. We’re the outcasts, cause the rest of the family lives in Brooklyn. Jim is lucky that he doesn’t have to commute to Manhattan for work. Our family is very close and we see each other a lot, switch off houses to have pot luck dinners, on Sundays, because we have so many people to feed. UH! The phone is ringing, gotta get it.

 

“Hello!”

“Maria, this is Sylvia” as tears slowly roll down her cheeks. “I’m sorry to bother you so early, but Robbie never came home last night. Two of the head guys picked him up yesterday morning and literally dragged him out of the house with me and Simone watching in horror. They pushed him into a black sedan and blasted off. I only heard from him twice and he said he’d be home last night, but never showed.” Sylvia continues to sob intermittently.

“Oh no, that’s awful Sylvia dear”, says Maria in a nervous tone. “Why are they after him, do you know?”

“Have no idea, but when he called, he said something about stealing money from his company. I’m so scared but I don’t want to show Simone my real feelings. She keeps asking for him and is horrified that they might kill him.”

“Now, I want you to calm down, I’ll stay on the phone”, says Maria in a comforting tone. “I think the boys might just be questioning a whole bunch of people to see who the culprit really is. So, don’t get into an uproar yet; this is standard stuff for them, you know that. It may take days before they really know something right?”

“Right”, says Sylvia is a weakened voice. “But why didn’t he call last night to tell me he’s not coming home?”

“You know the deal here Sylvia, we all know, so don’t panic yet. I know you’re in Brooklyn, but how about coming over, we can chat and that may console you a bit. Take the rail and I’ll make lunch for both of us, while we wait for a call. Bring your car phone with you.

“Well, I guess that might be a good idea”, says Sylvia with a bit of hesitancy. “Simone has a key to the house and I’ll leave her a note. See you soon.”

 

After Sylva hangs up. I start trembling a little, not quite sure what the deal is here with Robbie. Maybe it’s just nothing, or maybe it’s serious; hard to call the shots with the little I know. I wonder if Pete or the others know anything. I think I’ll make a quick call to Pete before Sylvia gets here. I think I have his work number. Yup, I got it.

“Hello, this is Maria, Peter’s sister, is he there?”

“Yes, I believe he is; just a moment while I track him down.”

“Thank you”, says Maria waiting impatiently.

“Hello sis?

“Yup it’s me; some kind of trouble is brewing around our family; Robbie is missing.”

“What? What happened, tell me.” He seems distressed.

“I have few details, but I got a call from Sylvia this morning, practically in hysterics, that Robbie was dragged out of the house yesterday morning by two bosses and shoved into a car. He didn’t return last night but did call twice. He’s thinking embezzlement charges, that he stole money from his own company, which is part of the “group”, you know? “

“I find it hard to believe that Robbie would do that”; as Pete paces the floor; “they’re probably questioning him and maybe brain-washing him, who knows? That’s really awful; I can imagine how Sylvia and Simone feel, probably terrified. I’ll see what I can find out through the chain of command. I’ll be in touch if I’m lucky. Say hi to Sylvia and you take care.”

“Thanks Pete, you’re such a great brother, you know that?”

“Well, this is a bit scary, so let’s all be vigilant, okay?”

“Okay Pete, thanks for your help, goodbye”

 

I hang up, feeling a little relieved that Pete has some positive influence with them, but maybe not enough; we’ll just have to be patient which is difficult for all of us. I’m going to make a couple of salami sandwiches for lunch and depending on Sylvia’s state of mind, either sweet iced tea or a glass of red wine. I feel terrible for Simone too, because I know she’s scared and she’s so close to her dad, it’s probably hard to focus on her school work. I’m just thinking, as well as I know my brother, you don’t know what goes on in people’s minds. Sometimes they’re desperate and want to protect their families and will do something stupid; I can’t figure Robbie out. We’re all in the same boat in a way, and we’re always looking over our backs too. I think I’ll pray for Robbie tonight before bedtime.

 

The doorbell rings.

“I’m coming, just a minute.” I don’t know what to expect from Sylvia.

“Hi sweetie, please come in and take off your coat.” Sylvia collapses in my arms, sniffling.

“Aw come on now, we’ll find Robbie soon enough. I know it’s so scary believe me.” I keep patting Sylvia on the back, try to reassure her. Frankly I’m scared to death myself.

She clings to me for about 5 minutes, whimpering, then lifts her head up, eyes red, cheeks flushed, just stares at me.

“I made lunch for us; your favorite sandwich, salami with mustard and a pickle on the side.”

Sylvia says nothing, no reaction at all. She sits at the kitchen table with a blank face.

“Are you a little hungry, maybe just eat half the sandwich. I made sweet iced tea, or you would you like to have a glass of your favorite red wine. Which will it be?”

Sylvia sits at the table and fiddles with her sandwich, not really that interested in it.

“I’ll have some red wine please”, she finally decides.

“Great, I’ll open a new bottle, and I think I’ll have some too.”

Sylvia remains silent for about two or three minutes.

“I just don’t know what to do about Robbie’s absence”, says Sylvia acting anxious and shaky.

“There is nothing we can do at the moment and I do feel for you; if it were me, I’d be in hysterics, weeping all day. I think you’re handling it better than me for sure. Have a sip of wine Syl…maybe that will calm you.”

Sylvia looks in her purse and takes out a cigarette and lights it. She blows rings of smoke around the kitchen. Then she slugs her wine rather hastily, as if she wants more.

“Oh, guess what?”

No reply from Sylvia.

“I called Pete at work and told him what is going on with Robbie and all; naturally he is very upset, but he promises he will speak to one of the bosses as soon as possible; can’t promise anything but he’ll do his best to help. Look we’re all in this, we’re a family who stick together.

I think Pete is owed favors so this might help a lot.

Sylvia sighs and takes a deep breath, while continuing to smoke her cigarette.

“How should I handle Simone though?” Sylvia says with hesitation.

“I think she’s old enough to understand some things about this disaster. But I wouldn’t go into the gory details, it’s too upsetting.”

“Well, she saw the thugs drag Robbie out yesterday morning. She knows they’re taking him somewhere and it’s not to the movies, she’s very intuitive and scared to death.”

“In my opinion, I would just say that he’s in a conference all week with the big guys, in case he doesn’t return tonight.”

“She’ll never believe me Maria; I can’t even talk about it anymore, it’s so sickening.”

While Maria goes to answer the phone, Sylvia sneaks in another glass of wine.

 

“Hello! Oh Pete, so happy you got back to me. What’s up? What? No, they can’t….”

Sylvia jumps up to get near the phone. She is visibly shaking.

“Well, aren’t you owed some favors or something? Ah ha, I see. Do you want to talk to Sylvia? she’s right here near the phone.”

Sylvia grabs the phone.

“Pete? It’s bad news? “She listens intently, hangs up and drops to her knees.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2021 Betty Hermelee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This chapter is top-notch -- incorporating a TON more body language for your characters! Love it! You really jumped on that idea & made it your own. Overall this chapter evokes a strong sense of being frantic yet trying not to be -- the tension, the push-and-pull. Very realistic "mob" talk sound to the dialogue AND the thinking-voices. Nicely authentic the way you show people calling here & there, trying to get a handle on what's going on, which also builds suspense & makes it feel like a cliffhanger urging the reader on. In case I get sidetracked, here's wishing you a lovely Christmas week with hopefully a generous helping of togetherness on the side! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

YAY Margie! You made my day, week, months, years!
I get it now, I can do it, just didn’t kn.. read more



Reviews

The dialogue and every small touch are so perfectly added! It feels so realistic while I'm still lost in the story. I love the little things that add character and it's paced beautifully. Every line and every moment feels perfectly placed and again, the dialogue is grand. The suspense leaves you hanging on tight, but it's not overwhelming in any way. Rarely, even in published books do I see everything so carefully placed and the dialogue strewn together. It's clear how much love and heart went into this piece and I'm just loving the story the more and more I read it.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Thank you thank you! I’m trying and appreciate your reviews.
Best
B.
Your telling the story mostly through dialogue is impressive. Many have a hard time doing that, but you just let it fly. There's a lot of energy in this chapter with all the push and pull, (Like Margie said) ins and outs and so forth.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Maybe that's why I talk so much, even to myself!!! I'm having a lot of fun with this....and much of .. read more
Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

PS I just printed out Chapter 3!!!
and thanks again for reading COOL JOE
Okay didn't see that coming, assume Robbie got topped as a threat to others with sticky fingers.
Mind you, not another funeral, the priest will be asking questions.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Thanks for reading...you'll see!!!
Very good dialogue here in this ongoing mob drama. Very well paced, too, keeps the reader's interest throughout. Suspense nicely built up, then leaving the reader in a cliffhanger at the end. You might want to look at the first sentence of paragraph 3. If Maria is talking to Sylvia on the phone, how would she know if tears were rolling down her cheeks?

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Thank you John, appreciate your reading and comments; as to sentence, paragraph 3, only the reader w.. read more
I also related to the setting having come from Bronx and having spent time in all those Boroughs...



Posted 3 Years Ago


I don't feel so qualified to review prose, but this did keep me in suspense...
and wondering exactly who and why they took Robbie.
If he did embezzle I feel much worse for Sylvia than for Robbie.
And I think red wine for her is a good choice and also a metaphor for Robbie's blood...as that could be his fate.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Jacob, thank you so much for reading this; my idea for the chapbook is partly based on the truth, b.. read more
Woah! Nearly fell off that cliff there Betty, there should be a warning sign put up there 😊
Shady people know the risks, but the families don't sign up for it, do they?
I'm wondering now that she knows it's bad, would she have preferred to going back to just frantically worried now she knows the truth.
Great chapter, drama, suspense and aforementioned precipice to leave us dangling. Now don't be a tease and let the rest of us know 😉

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Ah Lorry , you’re so wonderful and funny, I’m not telling the fate of Robbie, it’s a total sec.. read more
This chapter is top-notch -- incorporating a TON more body language for your characters! Love it! You really jumped on that idea & made it your own. Overall this chapter evokes a strong sense of being frantic yet trying not to be -- the tension, the push-and-pull. Very realistic "mob" talk sound to the dialogue AND the thinking-voices. Nicely authentic the way you show people calling here & there, trying to get a handle on what's going on, which also builds suspense & makes it feel like a cliffhanger urging the reader on. In case I get sidetracked, here's wishing you a lovely Christmas week with hopefully a generous helping of togetherness on the side! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

YAY Margie! You made my day, week, months, years!
I get it now, I can do it, just didn’t kn.. read more
I really enjoyed this. It written well. I like the tension throughout and the cliff hanger ending. :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Thanks Danny, really appreciate your comment; if you have a minute here or there you might want to c.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 20, 2020
Last Updated on January 5, 2021

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Departure The Departure

A Chapter by Wild Rose