COOL JOE, Chapter 12

COOL JOE, Chapter 12

A Story by Betty Hermelee
"

Family Saga

"
 

COOL JOE, Chapter 12

PETE

 

We stand outside the Boss’s house sniffling and talking very quietly. The shocking news of Robbie’s death is hard to believe, and we’re deciding how to handle this. Is he really dead, or is this one of the boss’s pranks? Should I go back in and talk to him? Or just wait it out for a few days to see if anything pops up.

“Well bros, so you want to tell Sylvia while Simone is at school?”

“Yeah”, says Frankie maybe that’s the best way, cause she needs to get over the shock first before Simone comes home, and we have a few hours.”

We all agree that we should go over to Sylvia’s and tell it the way it is

“Okay”, says Danny, so let’s go.”

We all hop in Frankie’s old jalopy car and drive over to Sylvia’s house, not too far away.

 

I just hope Sylvia doesn’t collapse, she’s very fragile these days’, says Frankie.

We all hope that bros and if we do it the right way, she may understand. Now listen, we got to act strong, but sympathetic. We tell her that maybe his death was for the best, since he was so beaten up, more than she thinks. This is not an easy job, and I am still thinking of what to say. I’m also still thinking about where they may have buried him.

 

We arrive at Sylvia’s house, and I see her peeking out of the curtains in the living room. She must hear Frankie’s car pull up; her face looks sad, so let’s be gentle now. The door is open before we reach the last step, we walk in very silent. Sylvia looks pale and she may know what we’re going to say.

 

“Greetings Syl”

“Don’t tell me, please don’t tell me!”

We each give her a hug and then I say, “let’s all sit down in the living room.”

Her hands are already covering her face and she is weeping quietly.

“He’s dead right?  They slaughtered him, right? Those lousy pigs. I need a gun; I’m going to kill that boss!”

I go over to Sylvia and put my arms around her, and she screams with anger, shaking all the while.

“Where is my baby? Did they shoot him or strangle him to death? I want to know and I want to know where his body is right now”, she yells and cries at the same time, and it doesn’t stop for minutes.

I put my arms around her and stroke her back. It seems she’s inconsolable.

 

After her crying stops, she stares in to space, like she is in shock. About three minutes later,

she comes back to reality.

“Pete” she says in a weak tone of voice,” we’ve got to find out about Robbie’s body; how can we have a proper funeral if we don’t have his body??? And do you swear on your life that he’s really dead?”

“Sylvia, I can’t swear on my life for anything with these crooks. They live on lies, demands, revenge and death. When we went to pick him up, he wasn’t there for sure. The Boss, Johnnie, told us he was dead and that’s all he would say, so we left, thinking that was the truth. But is that hundred percent correct? Who knows? Maybe I can contact some underlings to snoop around, find some dirt.”

“Who might know something?”

“I have a few names and also Frankie knows a few people right Frankie?”

“Right, at least I can try to talk to some guys.”

“No guarantee though”, as Pete looks Sylvia straight in the eye. She nods her head.

I’m thinking, boy is this going to be a problem!

“Syl, you look skinny, can I make you something to eat?”

“No Pete, I’m really not hungry; I’m nervous about how I should break it to Simone?”

“Do you want me to hang around until she gets home from school; my kids have soccer practice, and Viv will be fine.”

“Thanks, Pete, for the offer, but I think I want to be alone until Simone comes home, and that won’t be until about 4:00PM.”

“Okay then, is there anything I can do for you now?”

“Yes” says Sylvia in a strong voice, “Find my Robbie!”

We’ll try, I’ll make a few calls back at the docks and talk to a few people who are around.”

 

 

I get back to the docks kinda late, but Eddie happens to be there and I’m thinking he maybe knows someone who knows someone, you know how it goes. I see him walking towards me now, he probably wants to know what I’m up to.

“Yo Pete, what up buddy?”

“Nothing much, just had to take care of some business this morning, that’s why I’m late getting here.”

“What kinda business pal?”

“I guess the Boss didn’t tell you, but it’s really bad news.”

“Tell me please.”

Well, About two weeks ago, some of the “boys” shoved Robbie out of his home, in a car, then to big Johnnie’s house. Sylvia and Simone are a mess. Anyways, until a few days ago, no word from Robbie, until I went to see him, boss’s permission, of course. He was accused of stealing from the business; still don’t know if that’s the real reason; Robbie was a mess, bashed in teeth, broken nose black eye, smashed ears; Boss wouldn’t say a word, we left. A few days later told to pick him up, gone!!! No Robbie, boss silent! So, that’s the story. Got any thoughts?”

“Let me see”, says Eddie, massaging his chin. Owe anything Pete? How about the other bros?”

“I mean they have loans with the boss, but they haven’t been threatened for a while, so cool there. I’m trying to think; was it revenge?”

“No, I don’t think so; he said he owed me a favor, so that’s how I got to see smashed-up Robbie. Do you know where they bury the bodies Eddie?”

“Well, I can speculate. Sometimes they dump them in the river in a weighted body bag; sometimes they dig a grave, sometimes they chop them in a garbage truck, and sometimes they put them in cement. That’s all I know right now, I could probably think of more places, but not off hand.”

 I’m’ thinking on what Eddie says and since Frankie is in the cement business, maybe that’s where they hid the body; hmm, just thinking.

I gotta call Frankie right now, cause he knows all those guys there that mix cement.

“Hey Frankie!”

 “Yeah bud, just got home and taking my coat off. What’s up?”

I’m trying to find out what they did with Robbie’s body and I have an idea, want to hear it?”

“You bet I do, spill it out.”

“Well, it could be a lot of things, but I think we should investigate the cement business, and since you’re involved in the biggest cement company, maybe you can help us.”

“You mean you think that Robbie is in one of my many buildings that use cement? Where would we even start to look?”

“Do you know some insiders who mix the cement and know where it’s still drying? Cause once it’s hard like a rock, it’s kaput” says Frankie in an almost laughable tone.

“I know it’s hard Frankie, but this is your brother and Sylvia is so distraught that she might buy a gun and shoot someone.”



Later that day

I call Sylvia around 5:00PM to see how Simone is doing since she’s been so angry and depressed, and Sylvia is going to talk to Simone about Robbie’s death; I would like to keep her in the loop too. The phone keeps ringing, ringing, no one answers. I try again at 6:00PM and 7:00PM.; even Simone isn’t home. Now I start to get nervous. Where could she be at this hour on a weeknight. Simone always has homework and Sylvia goes to bed early

I decide to go over to Sylvia’s place to check on things. When I get there, I can’t believe my eyes: I think she did buy a gun, that little sneak, and probably shot the body guard on duty in front of her house; I guess she thinks he didn’t protect her from Robbie’s ordeal. I check his pulse, dead. But where is Sylvia? I search the house thoroughly and it is empty.

 

I call all the siblings, but they have no idea of what just happened, no witnesses, no nothing, just blood oozing from the guy’s body. I explain it to them and obviously they are completely shocked at this deadly event. Sylvia with a gun? She must be out of her mind. I don’t think she ever owned a gun before.

 

I call the police; shortly after, I hear the sirens coming my way. They stop near me, but I have a good alibi just in case.  Cops check the body, take it away and bid me goodbye, but with a strange look on their faces. Sylvia’s probable motive? The new bodyguard didn’t protect Robbie from being kicked out of the house by the Boss’ hit men. Now, where the heck did Sylvia and Simone go? There must be something else going on, I’ll find out soon enough.

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2021 Betty Hermelee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Poor Sylvia and Simon. Just when their expectations are raised they get deflated and who can blame Sylvia for taking the law into her own hands... Or did she?
Always leaving the chapter on a cliffhanger that makes you keep turning the page.
I'm guessing the body count will get higher before the end, but isn't that what cliffhangers do, keep you wondering and I haven't been right yet 😊

Posted 2 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Yuo are my loyal reviewer!! Yes, it gets complicated!!! keep reading, I appreciate your comments! Be.. read more
Lorry

2 Years Ago

Will do, will read one chapter a day until caught up. Don't want to rush it, I just done that with l.. read more
They do tend to bury bodies in cement developments.
Like the idea of Sylvia going mental and shooting up the bad guys.
Mind you, if Robbie is alive, he might just get killed.


Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

You’ll see...keep going! I would really appreciate your feedback on content and writing, I value y.. read more
Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

I love anybody who can write a story, something I've always struggled with. I always think you have .. read more
Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Wow, I love your feedback,,,I’m totally into it now.....thank you so much for your input!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 4, 2021
Last Updated on March 8, 2021

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


hope hope

A Poem by sette