COOL JOE, Chapter 18

COOL JOE, Chapter 18

A Story by Betty Hermelee
"

Family Saga

"

COOL JOE, Chapter 18

SYLVIA

TWO DAYS LATER

Well, now I feel I can finally talk; here we are in Topeka, Kansas, in the middle of nowhere, cornfields, barns, a lot of dirt roads, smelly cows, paved roads in the city (which is nothing like New York City) some boutique shops, a Walmart, a police station and courthouse. Oh, and I forgot a hotel where me and Simone will stay for a few days. The room has twin beds, a bit raunchy, could be cleaned better but we’ll survive. Listen, we’re not paying for this so we can’t complain, (don’t ask me who is paying for it).

I speak to Pete last night, but it is late and we have instructions to keep moving to this place in Kansas. He seems frantic, and frankly I don’t blame him, I mean we’re out of sight but not out of his mind, nor are we out of the family’s minds. I feel terrible that I’m not allowed to talk to my family. At night I say prayers for me and Simone and for them too, hoping some day we’ll be back in Brooklyn. Although, the way this is going, it doesn’t look good, we’ll see. If I talk to my family, as I said before, I’m meat. Believe me, it’s very lonely, and thank God for Simon’s company, although she’s pretty sad at the moment.

“Mom? This room really smells and the bed is like an air mattress, it’s killing my back.”

“I have an idea darling, why don’t we take my perfume and spray all over, including the bathroom.”

“Great idea, then it will be on us too and we’ll all smell delicious. You know I really miss school and my friends.”

“I know dear, and it must be an awful feeling, but hang in there until we talk to the F.B.I.”

“It’s hard, I feel so out of it”, says Simone, “no homework, missing my classwork, socializing and having fun. I’m still a kid and shouldn’t be in this predicament, right?”

Poor kid, I really feel terrible for her. Maybe I can convince the authorities to leave her out of this and send her to Uncle Pete. Who knows?

“Mom? When is our appointment with the F.B.I?”

“They should be calling any minute with our appointment time, I think tomorrow morning.”

“It’s 5:00PM and I’m starving”, says Simone, walking to get her coat and smiling at her mom.

“That’s fine with me, how about this diner down the street, they have burgers and other stuff, it looks pretty clean?”

“Sounds good”, remarks Simone, “I’m up for it and famished too.”

 

Just as we are about half way out of the door, the phone rings, I have to answer it.

“Hello”

“Mrs. Valenti? This is the local F.B.I. office in Topeka, calling to let you know that we scheduled an appointment for you tomorrow at 9:00 AM; does that work for you?”

“Absolutely, that would be fine. I have your address and we have a car, so we’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Is that okay mom?”

“Well dear, we really don’t have a choice, it’s their call, so we go, problem with that okay?”

“No mom, it’s just that I don’t like getting up that early! But I guess it’s okay.”

We drive to downtown Topeka, about 10 minutes from our hotel. The city isn’t much, mostly old buildings, maybe one or two modern ones, and the F.B.I. office is in one of these. It’s easy to park, they have their own lot. We take the elevator to the ninth floor and look for the F.B.I sign. It says Mr. Alan Parker, and some other names below.

The doors opens and a gray-hair gentleman greets us with a strange accent, I guess kind of country.

“Hello, you must be Mrs. Valenti,”, and looking at Simone, asks her name.

“And you are?”

“Simone Valenti, nice to meet you Mr.…”

“Parker, Alan Parker, come in please and follow me to my office; and please have a seat.”

 

“Now, Mrs. Valenti…”

“Please call me Sylvia, sir.”

“Right, Sylvia, a very pretty name. Now, Sylvia, do you know why you are here today?”

“Well, I think so, but not totally sure.”

“Well then Sylvia, I will begin. When we hear from any police, no matter what town or city, and it involves the Mafia, usually, we, the F.B.I. get involved. The reason we get involved is because these mobsters do very bad things to innocent people, many illegal activities, killings and sometimes the police cover up for them; in other words, they don’t necessarily protect you. Not all police, but it seems that in New York, Chicago, Miami and other big cities where the Mafia dwell, they pay off the police, so they won’t get into trouble. Now I hear that some of your families are involved with some Bosses in New York City. Is that correct, Sylvia?

“Yes, some of my family is involved with the Bosses, but some are not, and mostly involved with loan sharks, theft, for which my dear Robbie was wrongly accused and killed; perhaps some bookies involved, but this is the first time that there has been a death in the family.

“Does your family borrow money from these loan sharks?”

“Yes, I believe so, sir. My late husband took out loans from them. In fact, he was in the cement business, which I believe is owned by a Boss.”

It hurts when I say these things.

“Did your husband deal with laundered money?”

“I really don’t know; he didn’t talk much about his business to us.”

“Sylvia, do you know why your husband was killed by the Mob?”

“I know very little since weeks ago when two unidentified men drag him out of the house early morning, when we are having breakfast. I only get two calls from him; my brother-in-law, Pete, who knows one of the Bosses in New York, speaks with him a few times. Then he is given permission to see him, only once and my husband is wounded.”

“Sylvia, can you explain these wounds?”

I have to collect my self first, take a deep breath.

“Not perfectly sir, because I personally never got to see my husband before he is brutally murdered, to everyone’s surprise. I learn all the details from my brother-in-law, Pete. I think they break his nose, punch him in the eye and smash his ears at least; they may have done more, but I didn’t see it.” I am told that he is coming home in a few days, but never did come home. The boss tells Pete that he is dead, and not to come looking for his body, or me or else.”

Simone starts to weep quietly, has a tissue in her hand.

“Why did you run from the house with your daughter, Sylvia?”

“I get threatening phone calls, that I might be next, if I tell anyone about Robbie.”

Simone has her head down and hands clasped.

“I see, Sylvia. So, you run to protect yourself after the death of your husband, because you are afraid the Boss will kill you and Simone. Did you have a bodyguard?”

“Yes, but he is always taking breaks and disappears for a time.”

“Sylvia, did anyone in the family know your plan to leave?”

“No sir. I am scared and pack up quickly with Simone, and sneak out when the bodyguard is on a break.”

Simone starts to make weird faces, blinking, probably scared.

“Do you have a vehicle Sylvia?”

“Yes, I do, and I drive out of the City, heading west, not really knowing our destination.”

“What is your goal here Sylvia, now that you are on the run?”

I guess I’ll have to think one up quickly.

“My goal is to drive until I come to a decent size city and call the police, and tell them everything. While driving I did call Pete, and only Pete, and it was from a phone booth; think I call him twice, but I say I will not call again until after I speak with you. I never tell him where we are, or where we’re going.”

“So, let me get this straight”, says Mr. Parker with a straight face. “The reason you leave in a hurry is because you fear for your and your daughter’s life.”

My hands are sweaty and I’m nervous. Simone keeps looking from me to him.

“Yes, that’s correct, sir. Then, after I leave and call Pete, I find out that my bodyguard is shot and killed in front of my house; Pete finds him and calls the police. According to him, they give him a dirty look and then they take the body away. Pete searches the house, after calling me for at least three days, day and night; he thinks I might be dead too; the house is has nobody in it and it is clean, no blood anywhere. He decides that I fly the coop and no notes to give him any clues. He contacts the rest of my family and, as you can imagine, they are all panicked, not only for me and Simone, but for themselves, who also have connections to the Boss. I don’t tell all the specifics.

“So, Sylvia, you believe that the Mafia, your so- to -speak Boss, killed Robbie, your husband, and then has it out for you via the bodyguard, so you run before his attempt to kill you, so the Boss doesn’t take the hit.”

“Yes sir, I believe that is the intention here and our reason for the run.”

“Okay then, that makes sense to me. Now, is Pete pretty honest?”

“Yes, very much so, sir.”

“Well, I still don’t think it’s a good idea for you to notify anyone in the family regarding your whereabouts. The Mafia is all over the place and they communicate.”

I wonder what is coming now.

“Sylvia, after thinking about what you are telling me, it seems as though you are still frightened to return home, is that right?”

I would like to, but I’m freaking scared for both of us.

“Yes, Mr. Parker, I’m frightened that the boss will find me.”

“Well then”, says Mr. Parker” with a definitive-looking face, “We, meaning the F.B.I., has something called a Witness Protection Program. This means that the F.B.I  will send you far away to Arizona, get you a home and you will live your nice, quiet life out there, of course with your daughter. But here is the stipulation.

Uh oh, what is he going to say, I’m shaking.

“You both have to make a complete change of identification.”

I feel like I’m going to pass out.

“What do you mean, Mr. Parker?”

“I mean that you will have to change both your names, get a new driver’s license, a new social security card, new passport, etc. In other words, you won’t be Sylvia Valenti anymore, you might be Amanda Smith, or something like that.

I’m sick to my stomach, Simone is staring out the window in a da

 

 

Mr. Parker pauses for a moment when he sees the look on our faces. He takes out a cigarette and lights it and breathes out a circle of smoke. I’m sure he knows we’re very scared. He’s trying to give us a chance to take it all in.

“I forgot to emphasize that there will always be an F.B.I. agent checking on you from the local office, which communicates with us, so no need to be afraid.”

Yeah, that’s what he thinks.

“Are we clear on this, Sylvia? Any questions?”

“When do we move? And will we get help changing all of our identification?”

“Absolutely; we will take care of everything and no one, including your family or the Mafia will know you ever again as Sylvia and Simone Valenti.

Me and Simone look at each other dumbfounded.

“To my mind, that’s the best protection you can get and be completely safe, never have to worry about being afraid or hurt, in you next life. We do this for many people in this situation, you’re not the first.

Are you ready to have a nice, peaceful life?”

We gaze at each other intensely, pause for a moment, smile and nod.

“Mr. Parker?”

“Yes, Sylvia”

“I have one question; can I call my brother-in-law Pete and say Goodbye?”

“Of course, you can, from our office where it cannot be traced.”

Me and Simone hug each other with a half-smile.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2021 Betty Hermelee


Author's Note

Betty Hermelee
And the mystery goes on....thanks to all my loyal readers!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well that went well, or did it? I'm having trouble trusting anyone on the case for fear of them informing the mob. Cops and feds can be just as crooked as the crooks, so I'm told 😊
Hope Sylv and Simon get a bit more settled to their new life before the dramas continue, they'll be exhausted and need to catch their breath. I'm tired and I'm just reading about it 😊

Posted 2 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Dearest loyal reader
Thanks so much for your thoughtful review.... more drama to come! Rest u.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
1 Review
Added on May 5, 2021
Last Updated on May 5, 2021

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing