COOL JOE, Chapter 21

COOL JOE, Chapter 21

A Story by Betty Hermelee
"

FAMILY SAGA

"

COOL JOE

Chapter 21

 

MARGARET

 

Oh my God, I just got a frantic call from Ted, telling me that Mark is shot in the leg. I’m shaking and crying and need a glass of wine. He’s still on the scene with the police. An ambulance comes and takes Mark to the emergency room. Ted says he never saw the shooters, because they ducked out of sight. But I’m sure the police will find them. What happens I think, is that the shooters see Ted leave and then as Mark is closing up, they move in. I think they are looking to steal some guns; I’m sure Mark did his best to protect himself against the robbers but they still got him good. I’m waiting for another call from Ted so I learn more about what happened and about Mark’s condition. I think he’ll be taken to Richmond University Medical Center on Staten Island and that’s where my kids were born, so I’m pleased about that.

 

Excuse me for a moment. My phone is ringing and I think it’s Ted.

“Hello, oh Pete, I guess you know about the disaster this afternoon; I’m very upset and of course Ted is frantic. Do I need what? Oh, your help now? Well, let me speak to Ted, he should be calling me any minute and then I will call you back. Goodbye Pete.”

I’m feeling dizzy, maybe it’s from the red wine. I think I’ll sit down and pray for Mark, poor soul, he such a nice man and I think he’s lonely.

The phone is ringing again.

“Hello, oh thank God, it’s you Ted. I feel so terrible about Mark, any news?

“The police will do a thorough investigation of the crime scene and will get an experienced detective. Right now, I’m wrapping things up at the store; there is yellow police tape around the premises so we’re not allowed in at this time.”

“What about Mark’s condition?”

“I’m not sure, will be heading over there when the police say I can leave. He is at the emergency room at Richmond Hospital.”

What should I tell the kids?”

“Nothing yet, Margaret, I’ll call you when I find out a bit more, okay?”

“Yes darling, oh and I have to call Pete back; he called, very worried and wants to know more.”

“Well, then, just tell him Mark got shot in the leg with a .45 semi-automatic hand gun and that’s all I know right now.”

“Okay, Ted, be safe and call me from the hospital. I’m worried too.”

 

I hang up the phone and collect myself, pour a glass of water and sit at the kitchen table. I’m thinking about what just occurred and wondering was this just a random armed burglary. or was this somehow connected to Boss Johnnie; I shouldn’t even be thinking things like that should I? Anyway, I’ll continue to drink my water and finish my crossword puzzle. Oh, I forgot to call Pete back.

“Hello Pete, hi it’s Margaret, sorry I had to hang up on you. Ted says to tell that his employee Mark, you know the guy who’s is supposed to connect with Lopez, got shot in the leg as he was closing up the store. I don’t know anything more, and Ted is on his way to Richmond Hospital. I will probably meet him there.”

“Was Ted there when it happened?”

“No, he just left to come home when a few minutes later, he hears gun shots, and goes running back to the store. But by the time he gets there the burglars are gone and Mark is shot. Hey Pete, do you think Boss Johnnie has anything to do with this?”

“You never know, but it’s’ probably just random violence, which is rampant in this city, especially with the Bellini Family here, and other mobs. Should I call Ted?”

Tonight, or in the morning would be best Pete, but thanks for always trying to help out, we really appreciate it.”

“Okay, maybe I’ll call back later; how late do you guys stay up?”

“We usually hit the sack around 11 so yeah we might connect tonight.”

“Ah, Margaret, I don’t want to be pushy but do you think Ted can take care of the Lopez business by himself?”

“I really don’t know Pete, I guess it depends on Mark’s recovery or if Mark tells Ted to go ahead with meeting this guy alone or maybe even at the hospital with Mark. Nothing is clear at this moment Pete, so sit tight, and we’ll talk later.”

“That’s fine with me, Margaret, are you okay? Kids too?”

“I haven’t told the kids yet, Ted told me not to, but yes they are doing fine, thanks for asking.”

“Okay then, I’ll speak to you later tonight.”

“Good, Pete, thanks for thinking of us.”

 

I keep thinking this shooting is too much of a coincidence, my mind wanders a lot.

Phone rings.

Hello, oh Ted, so happy you called, I’m so worried; are you at the hospital?”

“Yes, and Mark is being operated on to get the bullet out of his thigh; He should be in recovery soon and then in a room.”

“I’m coming over to keep you company, I’ve left the kids some chicken from last night and some salad and pops in the freezer. I’ll tell them I’m going to the store to help you and that often we stay open until 9 on Thursdays.

“Are you sure that’s okay for you honey?”

“I’m sure dear, I’ll see you over at Richmond in the waiting room, goodbye.”

 

I hang up, a bit shaky and get the kids dinner ready for them, on the table.

“Ken, Mary, Chris. Please wash your hands and come down her, I need to speak with you.”

They all scurry down the stairs and ask me all kinds of questions.

“SSH…not all at once please. I need to tell you something. Mom has to leave for a couple of hours to stop at a friend’s house and then help dad at the store; it’s very busy there. We should be home about 9, and I want you all in your pajamas by then. Please put the dishes in the dishwasher, but don’t start it, okay, everything clear?”

I kiss each one on the forehead and leave for the hospital.

 

I see Ted sitting in the waiting room reading something.

He sees me and rises to give me a hug.

“What’s happening?”

“Sit down first dear, calm yourself. Mark is out of surgery, they got the bullet out, but a fair amount of blood loss. He should be back in a room shortly, lucky guy, it could be much worse. Those b******s; the doc says Mark is in good spirits and should be in the hospital about 3-4 days to make sure no infection, and by the way he is on pain pills and antibiotics.”

“Thank the Lord, I was praying all the way here. Oh, by the way, the kids are fine, set dinner out for them and told them to clean up and pajamas on.”

“You’re a taskmaster, I’ll say”, says Ted, “those kids are great and even listen sometimes.”

 

We read, talk, pray until the doc comes out in scrubs.

“Good news folks…”

“Oh doc, by the way this is my wife Margaret, she helps out in the store sometimes, meet Dr. Ramos, he is the surgeon.”

“Nice to meet you Doctor. How is Mark doing?”

“For a pretty deep wound, he is doing well. He needs some rest, which means short visits for the next 48 hours; he has a lot of trauma. They are moving him up to room 461, give them a few minutes and then you may have a short visit.”

“Thank you, Doc, for all of your great skills and care, we appreciate it.”

 

We sit down and wait, seems like hours and I’m really getting hungry.

“Are you Mr. and Mrs. Esposito?”

“Yes, we are”, says Ted, eager to stand up and move.

“Well, sir, follow me and I’ll take you up to your friend’s room.”

 

We follow the gentleman as he takes us to Mark’s room.

Ted knocks on the door and slowly pushes it open. We enter quietly and

 smile at Mark, he returns the smile with some effort.

“Hey buddy, you’re looking good. You sure took a good one and lucky to be alive. I feel so badly leaving you at the store to close up. That was stupid of me to do, we should have done it together; or I should have let you go home first. That will never happen again Mark.”

Mark smiles, but you can see he’s in pain. I put the flowers I bought at the gift shop near him on his night stand. He begins to talk, though with effort.

“It’s crazy Ted, just out of the blue. They were after some guns to steal, they pointed at me, then shot me, nothing I could do at that point. I think they stole some 9MM hand guns, but then everything becomes a blur; next thing I know is an ambulance comes and also the cops.

I am bleeding pretty heavy; I feel so bad.”

 

Ted goes over to Mark and holds his hand. Mark has tears rolling down his cheek.

“You’re not going to get rid of me, are you?”

“Never; and don’t worry about Lopez, you’re right, we’ll do it together.

 

 

 

 

 

                           

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2021 Betty Hermelee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I feel that there should be some dramatic music at the end there, like a "Duh da dummm" 😊
I've lost track of over how many days or weeks from start to now, but I reckon they'll all need a three month lie in by the time the finale comes to pass... Those that make it to the end I mean 😊
Non stop, fast and furious drama. Makes me think that as well as completing the cast for the movie I better start thinking of music for the soundtrack..maybe borrow the funky chase scene music from STARSKY & HUTCH 😊
Keep going Betty, loving it.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

That you dearest Lorry! I should only be so lucky to get to the publishing point, let alone a movie!.. read more
operating a gun store, hazardous occupation with so many loonies out there!
Is this all fact/semi-fact based?
It somewhat mirrors the activity in our area here a couple of drug cartels are shooting everything in sight
what kind of pain pills were those
Huh
B

Posted 2 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

The only thing real about this is some of he first chapter...my grand uncles were a bit below the no.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 17, 2021
Last Updated on May 17, 2021

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing