THE SHIPWRECK

THE SHIPWRECK

A Poem by Betty Hermelee
"

the Constitution... and more

"

THE SHIPWRECK

 

My corpse, my psyche riles

My gut sinks to the bottom of a dark sea

Like an old shipwreck

I am aghast, my skin burns like icicles hit my face

 

The hatchet job of our constitution

Dramatically alters our lives

Laws scrapped like rusty iron

Like cars toppled on each other

Like chaos in the streets

 

Millions protest, horns blare

Signs of wrath wave in the breeze

Hot sun toils, yet the nihilism

Permeates into the steamy night

 

What will befit our generations to come

Will they be a speck in a sea of autocracy?

Deficient of the right to choose?

 



© 2022 Betty Hermelee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like that as angry and frustrated as you are personally you managed to depersonalize the poem . Nicely done.
W

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thanks you Barrett, much appreciated!
Best, B
With the right people in office, time can decay anything sacred. The times we're living in could use some refurbishing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Relic for your spot on review!
Best, Betty
World politics seems to be in a state of turmoil right now. I know this poem is specifically about issues in the U.S.A., but here in the U.K. the political scene is a shambles, and we could be seeing a new Prime Minister within days, mainly because the incumbent Prime Minister has been caught out in so many lies! Does true democracy exist anywhere in the western world? Sometimes it makes me wonder!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thanks for your review! We're in a mess here in US!
Best, B
What is at the bottom of each ocean is death through sinking , how may lives have been lost
Over the centuries , really like your poem ,well written

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Stuart for stopping buy to review my poem
Best, Betty
A shipwreck is a perfect metaphor. So deeply sunken and crashed. An huge mess at the bottom of the ocean. I’m so fearful of what next could happen but I found this poem to be a perfect metaphor for it all. This was indeed written beautifully and truthfully. ‘Deficient of the right to choose?’ This is a wonderful line to end it on. Thank you so much for sharing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

You are an amazing reviewer, not to mention you excellent poetry, much appreciated!
Best, B
yes indeed it's a shipwreck and a deep demolishing one. I am absolutely floored by the decisions made on roe v wade and never thought I would see that overturned in my lifetime. I live in a state where it is legal but that could be taken away as well, states making their own decisions, that would cause a whole new war in our country. civil war is always a possibility when our constitution is so fragile, it is not as iron clad as we like to believe. we saw what happened on January 6th, that should prove how easily a government could have been overthrown. time for new blood in our senate and put these old dogs out in the yard. great poem when you can start conversation! bravo B. Love P.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

So many thanks P…. I could have gone on and on, but it’s too emotional for me….your assessment.. read more
Interesting use of the wreck metaphor in this one. It's an apt one. I hope it's not a prediction for the fate of our society, what with all of the negative things that have been happening. The Supremes sure didn't help things.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thanks always John, I hope not either!!!
Best, B
I like the metaphor and, I thought this was written quite well. I believe all the SC did was clarify that the constitution did not cover abortion so, never should have been there in the first place. It is up to the States to rule on it. It does not prevent anyone from going to a state that does offer abortion. With all the birth control means available, it's surprising that so many women get pregnant. Each person needs to fight their own battle with the law.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thanks Temperance, much appreciated!
Temperance

1 Year Ago

You're welcome
amazing write with this metaphor.
we are at the bottom of the sea right now...
and I wish our Supreme Court was in that shipwreck...
at leat the 4....we got struck back 50 years...
a Titanic error to allow politics to decide morality....separation of church and state is sinking.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thanks mi!lion J., yes we are in "deep do"! what's next???
it is too hard to believe

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

I know...just had to get my anger out!
Thanks always Dave!
BESTB

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 27, 2022
Last Updated on June 27, 2022

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..