APPROVAL

APPROVAL

A Poem by Betty Hermelee
"

Do for yourself before others

"

APPROVAL

 

I shall yield to your wants eternally

for we have a purpose

one that we trust will flourish

 

yet foremost I must take heed of myself

for self-love foretells kindness

and succor to others

like fresh air which floods my lungs

and radiant sun which warms my flesh

 

In need like the dark moist earth

that bestows blossoms upon me

I await the moon to approve

and the stars to applaud

until then my heart belongs to me

 

 

© 2023 Betty Hermelee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yeah, but the stars aren't going to applaud unless you risk a performance. The moon won't approve until some purposes flourish. Safety can be found in the shadow but the light of love leaves nowhere to hide, nor does it want to. This was thought provoking poetry, I liked it!!

Posted 1 Year Ago


If we can't love ourself we can't love anyone else. Very nicely written in brevity but with power and such nice allegories. I loved the nature images. Well done.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Soren, much appreciated
Best, B
Yes we need to love our soul at least not so much our body
Body’s change over time

Beautiful Betty

Fave lines
I await the moon to approve
and the stars to applaud
until then my heart belongs to me



Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much Julie, appreciated too!
Best, B,
Spectacular one my friend! what first caught me this sentence "for we have a purpose" then, as I read down your poem I appreciate it more and more... to do your purpose the best, You should start with accepting and love yourself as it is, and progress it to the better, that's how You can do your mission the best. I admire your thoughts here.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

wow, a great review and spot on!
Thank you .
Best,B
See chalice first...

Wisely composed.
Beautifuly spoken
when read outloud.
In the end the
Imagery and poetry
become one.


Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

A lovely review and much appreciated
Best, B
Yes we have to put self first and sometimes we have to give more than we receive is where this fine write took me.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you for your spot on comment, much appreciated!
Best, B
Betty , The moon to approve and the stars to applaud , Great lines , your poem makes my brain warm
We create our own love but it’s how we use it

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much Stuart, much appreciated!
Best, B

Stuart Munro

1 Year Ago

Thanks for the share and comment Betty
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

You're very welcome Stuart
Best, B
Hmmm ... I am guilty of this, of putting others before me, of loving others more than I do myself. I cannot tell you how many times I have sacrificed (and willingly did so) things that I wanted to be able to provide something that I knew someone else wanted. It made me happy, until it didn't. One should never sacrifice himself to the point of neglect. We must love ourselves as well. This is just great - very poignant.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Linda Marie for stopping by and writing such a beautiful, honest review!!!!
Best, B
In Sunday School at a very young age I learned the acronym JOY. (Jesus, Others, Yourself) as a way of setting and settling my priorities. I still believe that it is better to give than to receive and that I achieve greater happiness from serving others than from being served. As a young adult I learned the phrase "inner child" in Jungian psychology. And while I do believe it is healthy to keep a childlike wonder and inquisitiveness (I ask ever so many questions like the elephant's child) I somehow think society might better profit from a few more persons finding their "inner adult" as we seem to have far too many self-centered children in grown up bodies running amok among us. A child thinks only of itself and fulfilling its own wants and desires (whether they be healthy or not). Which is why we responsible adults must sometimes hide the cookie jar. I don't think of "loving myself" at all. I am what God has made me and the choices I make for good or ill in this life. Therefore, I try to hold myself to a fairly high standard and I'm tougher on myself than anyone else. I expect more of myself and I'm constantly endeavoring to better my nature and the "me" I want to become. It is my religion and belief that I should seek the will of God first in all things. I often fall short in my efforts and I have to regroup and renew my efforts from a more Christian perspective. I will never come to fully approve of myself or my actions. But that fact keeps me alert and growing. But I am comforted by the scripture in the belief that, "Even if our hearts condemn us, God is greater than our hearts, and He knows all things.
If our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God, and will receive from Him whatever we ask, because we keep His commandments and do what is pleasing in His sight." 1 John 3:20-21 So, to me, whether I succeed or fail, whether I work or play, whether I live or die is of little consequence as long as I do all seeking the will of God in my life. Thank you for the thought invoking poem. I enjoyed the read.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much Fabian, I appreciate you review and your position....
Best, B
JessyJacob

1 Year Ago

thank you Fab for being so tough, it shows how someone cares.
I am quite intrigued by this new work Betty. The choices you've made diction-wise are open invitations to the mind to follow along several paths and byways. A love poem, indeed, but to who is the most interesting?
To God, I think so, to a lover, I bet so, to yourself's awakening, most especially so. Wrapping them all together gives the reader a terrific menu from which to choose a meal of many textures.

ken

Posted 1 Year Ago


Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Ken I love your review! Thank you so much!
Best, B

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 19, 2023
Last Updated on January 19, 2023

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren