MY NOVEL IS FINALLY IN PRINT

MY NOVEL IS FINALLY IN PRINT

A Story by BBP
"

After many many years and much support on this site, my first novel The Grease and the Gold has been published on Amazon as is available for Kindle or PAPERBACK. My baby is finally ready read proper

"
After many many years and much support on this site, my first novel The Grease and the Gold has been published on Amazon as is available for Kindle or PAPERBACK.

The link is below or you can search THE GREASE AND THE GOLD on Amazon and purchase!

My baby is finally ready read proper, in had, flipping pages, smelling the printed paper.

It s finally a REAL book!

I am posting this here since many of you followed my journey from the first few chapters when it was a rough piece of s**t and you always supported me and motivated me here.

This site was the jumpstart of newfound writing career. Everyone of you know who you are and I am forever grateful for your part in helping my grow and get to this point!


THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much love and respect-
Beverly

© 2020 BBP


Author's Note

BBP
https://lnkd.in/gGEqRe2

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well done Bev, don't you be getting swell head syndrome, and don't forget the little people like me.
Am I still getting 10% of sales.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Outstanding job dear Beverly. I wish you great success. The writer's dream. To have their book published and read.
Coyote

Posted 4 Years Ago


THIS BOOK IS WORTH READING, EVERYONE! I read it & loved it. BBP is a real-life authority on the lifestyle about which she writes, so her characters are authentic & they pull us into this fast-paced dynamic story. (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Gee

4 Years Ago

Just downloaded a sample, will most probably buy to read whilst on my hols
big congratulations Beverly! i really enjoyed following your story here .. read every chapter .. i am so glad you did not forget us while putting the final touches on your story ... i hope with your success you still find time to share a thing or two ...right here at the Cafe' .. sending you a message .. let me know what you think :)
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


You posted something on Amazon with no paragraph indents other than the first one? Did you not look at the online sample as you posted it, to see if it was clean? As it stands now it’s unreadable.

Use Calibre, a free app, to convert the document to a MOBI file to fix that problem. You can check the conversion on your computer with the free Kindle reader.

The only thing you need to do that’s not part of the Calibre instructions: Because of a bug in Calibre, when you select the “convert” function, and after you set conversion to a MOBI file, select Heuristic Processing, then check the box to enable it, and uncheck all boxes but “ensure scene-breaks are consistently formatted. Then, convert the file.

There is another problem that hit me that I hate to mention, which is that like so many hopeful writers, because no one reminds us that all professions are acquired in addition to the nonfiction, report-writing skills we’re given in school, pretty much every hopeful writer uses the skills they left school with in an attempt to write fiction. But our schooldays skills are designed to report and inform because that’s what employers need from us. Fiction’s goal is to provide an emotional experience as a form of entertainment. And such hugely different goals require different methodology.

Think of yourself. If you read a horror story, are you excited to be told that the protagonist feels terror? Or are you hoping the author will make the story seem so real that it terrifies you as you read, and makes you almost afraid to turn out the lights? If a romance, do you hope the author will make you know the protagonist has fallen in love, or make you fall in love?

To do that—to make the reader live the scene in real-time—takes an entirely different approach from that used to write the reports and essays we were assigned in school. It takes the craft and professional knowledge of the working Fiction-Writer—skills you can learn as easily as those you now use…though perfecting them to the point where you can use them as easily as your present skill-set will take time, study, and practice. But that’s true of any other profession, so it’s more a rite-of-passage than a disaster.

I truly wish there was some more gentle way of breaking such news. Unfortunately, I’ve not found one. And I hesitated on posting this because it is such bad news. But since the choice was to leave you wondering why there were no sales, and feeling that it was because of some failing in you, I went ahead.. But the thing to remember is that the problem is unrelated to talent, how well you write, or anything but the fact that you need to add additional techniques to your writing toolkit. As Mark twain put it: “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

E. L. Doctorow defined the reason for those specialized skills with: “Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader, not the fact that it’s raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.”

So how do you fix the problem? First, by digging into the differences between fiction and nonfiction technique, in general, to see if the prospect of learning those skills excites or depresses, because there is a fair amount of work involved. But if you truly are meant to write the learning will be fun.

Lots of resources and articles are available on the Internet, but immodestly, I suggest the articles in my writing blog. You’ll also find a few stories there to see the things I mention in use.

Then, depending on your situation, I suggest one of two books on the nuts-and-bolts issues of creating scenes that sing to the reader:

Debra Dixon’s, GMC: Goal Motivation & Conflict is a warm easy read, like sitting with Deb and talking abut writing.

Dwight Swain’s, Techniques of the Selling Writer is a more complete book, though because it delves into more technical detail, it can be a bit dry at times. It’s also an older book, one that talks about your typewriter. But still, it is the best I’ve found to date.

The local library's fiction-writing section can be a huge resource, too.

So…I know this was anything but what you were hoping to hear, and for the pain it may have caused I’m sorry. I know how it feels because I’ve been there. But keep Sinclair Lewis’s words in mind: “It is impossible to discourage the real writers - they don’t give a damn what you say, they’re going to write.”

Hang in there, and keep-on-writing.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/

Posted 4 Years Ago


BBP

4 Years Ago

Oh Jay....we meet again! I wasn't asking for advice I was letting my 'friends' on this site know wha.. read more
JayG

4 Years Ago

• I can't make any sense out of what you are trying to relay to me.

I can understa.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 29, 2020
Last Updated on January 29, 2020

Author

BBP
BBP

CA



About
By day I am a nine to fiver to pay the bills. I am a full time daydreamer and I need to be creative to keep my sanity. Writing, pinstriping, sketching, whatever I can let my artistic aggression .. more..

Writing
FINALLY DID IT! FINALLY DID IT!

A Story by BBP


My Book.... My Book....

A Story by BBP



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Airglow Airglow

A Poem by moog-drika


Take Me ~ Take Me ~

A Poem by Susan 🦋