American Wife

American Wife

A Story by MrsHardin12
"

Just a quick non-fiction story I wrote a little over a year ago and found today. It's about being a young woman and a new wife who wants a traditional life and is living nothing close to that.

"

I am a loyal wife to my husband. I believe in monogamy. I also think I should have been in my 20's in the 1950's, but here it is, 2011. And here I am, a 23 year old newlywed. I am far from the typical American dream of a wife with a husband and house, a white picket fence, 2.5 kids, and a dog. I am deployed to Afghanistan. I have been here 10 months, most of which were with my husband but he left a month ago.

In a few days my husband and I will have been married 11 months. We have a dog, an English Bulldog named Marilyn that we bought together when I was home on leave. She's perfect. We have no house and no kids, but we have two trucks (and two truck loans), and some savings in the bank. We don't have much else, unless living room furniture, three flat screens and a washer and dryer give us much credit. Yet, I feel we are coming up on the turn that will put us on the homestretch to "typical." Soon I will be re-deploying back to Texas, and he will be getting out of the Army and coming to Texas as well. We are going to talk about having a baby in the fall; and we're getting our finances in order so that we can apply for our first home loan. 

But the idea strikes me; would I have faired better decades ago? Would I have been better as a stay at home mother; a master a three course meals, vacuums, pearls and cardigans?  I don't know one girl my age who aspires to be a stay-at-home Mom. Girls "these days"  are more interested in going to college so that they can graduate and pursue careers in advanced fields; college is no longer a past time they have until they find the right man. I myself, am a college student. I fit in courses when the Army allows it, but even my career goal is traditional. I want to teach.

Is it odd that I believe that the wife should still be treated like a queen of her home? A queen that cleans and cooks and warms bottles, with a king that mows and hammers and brings home the "bacon"? I know that not all of me is old fashioned. I love my independence. I love being able to go out and party with my girls. I like having the option to do anything I want, but that doesn't mean I have to choose that option. 

When I was taking a literature course in college I had a teacher who was a lesbian and a feminist. (I have nothing wrong with either, just a simple description of her views.) One day she walked into class late during a conversation we were having about Hooters. I was working there at the time and it was paying my way through college. She went of on a wild tangent about how women went through women's suffrage so that they didn't have to work those "demeaning" jobs. I was offended, to say the least, and finally spoke up. I told her that my job was how I was paying my tuition. She asked how I felt about her opinions it and I told her exactly how I felt. Women went through women's suffrage so we had the choice to do what they want. I wanted to go to college. I wanted a fun job. It's the men’s problem if they want to tip girls because we act like bimbo's and hop around in orange shorts and tights. In reality, I was really the one pulling a fast one on them!

Ultimately, I will always have a job, not only because it's expected of me to help bring in some income; and I think that in this society it's fair, but because I want to.  If my husband made a lot of money I would love to dedicate 100% of my time to children for their first few years, but that may not be realistic. I married a man because I loved him, not because I found one that had a high enough net worth to support me.  I can still wear pearls and cardigans, still be the vacuuming queen. In my own way I will live my American dream. 

© 2012 MrsHardin12


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The American dream died long ago, probably with the second world war. The 50's seem inviting only because we're looking back at them. I know. I was there.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like the honesty in this! Some hard core grammar editing would make the effect of this piece even better. I won't rip it apart, but I would say you are using semicolons incorrectly. The more you write the better you get at it and another suggestion is to read your work outloud. This will help catch some of the grammar errors.

Posted 11 Years Ago


MrsHardin12

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I think grammar is my weakness. It's been a while since I've taken any courses to refresh.. read more
Heather Maria

11 Years Ago

Anyime and feel free to check out my work.
I'm looking forward to seeing more writing from you. :] You write very well, and make awesome points! I'm all for a feminist-queen personality; I'll act how I want, but at the end of the day, I want respect.

Please keep writing! I'll be looking for more :]

Posted 11 Years Ago


MrsHardin12

11 Years Ago

You are my first review! Thank you!! I just noticed that when I pasted it, my indents didn't stay so.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
3 Reviews
Added on July 20, 2012
Last Updated on July 21, 2012

Author

MrsHardin12
MrsHardin12

TX



About
I am a young mother and wife who has always loved reading. I have always wanted to write but I never get farther than a week into a project. I am hopeful that I can get some encouragement and helpful .. more..

Writing
One. One.

A Chapter by MrsHardin12


Two. Two.

A Chapter by MrsHardin12


Three. Three.

A Chapter by MrsHardin12