God of Fate

God of Fate

A Poem by William Michael Reeves
"

Thinking out loud in Senryu

"
Is it fate? Or God?
Or are they one in the same
Bonded together

Does fate dismiss God?
Agnostic dreams of chaos
Logic in order

Does God dismiss fate?
Faithful to human teaching
Divine creations

Is it God? Or fate?
Guiding the journey of life
Eternal questions

Did God create man?
Sentient design could, or
Did man create God?

2021

© 2021 William Michael Reeves


Author's Note

William Michael Reeves
I was surprised to hear our president attribute things in his life to fate. I wrote these a couple days ago but thought I would wait till after the holiday to post. Then the news hit me again. The poor girl who was hit by a stray bullet trying on dresses. Is that fate or design? Or do we give it to fate when it's hard to imagine it was design?

I consider myself agnostic. Thomas Huxley defined agnosticism in 1870 as "the human mind cannot know its eventual outcome." And I don't know. Often I think there might be something to intelligent design when I consider dogs and their abilities and relationship to us. Doesn't seem natural. Super natural. Richard Bach asked in his book 'One', "If you had the verifiable truth would you share it knowing the upheaval it would cause?" I have faith in fate.

Thoughts????

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My opinion is that good does not guide us. We are on our own. But fate does guide us, because we never know when our time will come, we never know from today to tomorrow what will be for us; so, no God is not in my picture but fate certainly is.
Well done!
Best
Betty

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

2 Years Ago

Thanks Betty. Thoughts to ponder. I'm with you, I have faith in fate and that's about it.



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ada
You pose many good questions for social inquiry...im agnostic meaning I don't necessarily believe in a god but I do believe there is a supreme force that regulates the universe...this piece just keeps on giving...fantastic philosophical write.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

2 Years Ago

Thanks for appreciating that. We can't know, so really how can we believe. And do we really need to .. read more
My opinion is that good does not guide us. We are on our own. But fate does guide us, because we never know when our time will come, we never know from today to tomorrow what will be for us; so, no God is not in my picture but fate certainly is.
Well done!
Best
Betty

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

2 Years Ago

Thanks Betty. Thoughts to ponder. I'm with you, I have faith in fate and that's about it.
I love the thought process here and the questions are as old as man, of course I’m not going to bore you with my beliefs cuz it’s not about me, it’s about the writing and the writing is very good in my humble opinion, any piece that gives the reader pause to thought is a good write. So that is my thoughts on it for what it’s worth ;) keep the deep thoughts coming

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

2 Years Ago

Beliefs aren't boring at all. I was thinking out loud hoping to initiate the same. And it's interes.. read more
Patricia

2 Years Ago

That is very true, just watch out for the trolls, thankfully not many live here.
I think life is a combination of fate and what we make of it.
Evolution and creationism...why cannot they live together?
j.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

2 Years Ago

Apparently they can, and do. With a little less war about it every century.
I'm more familiar with the writings of Thomas's son, Aldous and his book The Perennial Philosophy. Carl Jung based his archetypes on sort of the same recurring belief systems throughout global society. I see philosophies which are similar in many of the world's religions. The famous "golden rule" given to us by Jesus was also given by Confucius in The Analects, for example. When Jesus called the Scribes and Pharisees, "wolves in sheep's clothing" it was a direct nod to the stories of Aesop which preceded the teaching of the earthly Christ by over five centuries. Wisdom is always wise whether it be found in the writings of Solomon or Aristotle. I don't believe in fate, chance or coincidence but I do believe in order and direction on a universal scale. If a man found a city built in the desert but completely uninhabited, it would be foolish of him to assume for a moment that the city built itself. I see order in the cosmos and nothing is as random as it seems. I believe all things are connected; both those which we consider ill fortune and those we consider personally beneficial. I'm a follower of Christ but I don't think God gave us a mind capable of questioning without ever intending us to use it. I believe minds and hearts are like books, umbrellas and parachutes in that they can only work when they are open. This was an interesting read right down to the author's note. I don't think very highly of Joe Biden because he is a compulsive liar and cheat. He even admits his lies on video, goes on record with him saying them and seemingly thinks every voter the fool. I watched a video where he calls his own lies "crap" and says, "Yeah, we tried that crap to win the election, you know?" It had to do with him claiming his family were coal miners. I also remember Joe voting against desegregation saying he didn't want his kids growing up in a "racial jungle" and then telling African-American voters, "If you don't vote for me, you ain't black." And that's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. I'm not a Trump fan either so not on that bandwagon. Trump is an egotistical mess and an intellectual's nightmare. I cringe to hear him speak. But Trump got himself elected by NOT being a politician. We went from that extreme to a worn out and dyed in the wool racist and career politician. I'd actually prefer neither. I'm reminded of a joke there about Ronald Reagan and wife, Nancy walking through a cemetery. They came upon a grave with a headstone inscription that read, "Here lies a politician and an honest man." So Ron turns to Nancy and says, "Well..., would you look at that! Two men buried in one grave." I enjoyed the read. F.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fabian G. Franklin

2 Years Ago

I think all politicians are toxic to a certain extent. But I won't read any books written by politic.. read more
William Michael Reeves

2 Years Ago

That was interesting. Your comments and autocorrect changed Fabian to Ronnie. What a gift! Must be a.. read more
Fabian G. Franklin

2 Years Ago

"alternative facts" is a polite way to say lies but the historical books I read are pretty thoroughl.. read more
very intriguing really.... hmm!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

2 Years Ago

The mystery of it all has kept us intrigued for millennia. Fortunately we have poetry to occupy us. .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 26, 2021
Last Updated on December 26, 2021

Author

William Michael Reeves
William Michael Reeves

Seattle, WA



About
I live in Seattle. I have been a nurses aide most of my life and my experiences as a caregiver for people with disabilities has inspired much of my poetry. I love the puzzle of poetry. Expression with.. more..

Writing