Finding The Light

Finding The Light

A Poem by William Michael Reeves
"

Lesson 6: Sonnets ~ English (Shakespearean)

"
Through time 'n space explorers search for light --
those distant glimmers from creation's deep.
With perfect mirrors, glass expands their sight;
man's curiosity makes light-years leap.

For generations experts made it work ...
unfolding like an origami Webb;
to see where distant galaxies must lurk --
expanding cosmic flow ... forever ebb.

Yet, what would happen should we turn to look ...
took aim with all that power on ourselves?
Might see what makes our fragile planet cook --
tho, outer space is where our int'rest delves.

Sincere, excited, telescopic eyes
discover; here, is where we'll win the prize!

2022

© 2022 William Michael Reeves


Author's Note

William Michael Reeves
Just when I thought I had a grasp of what is required in a Sonnet, Richard 🖌️ revealed another aspect of writing a 'Little Song'. The third verse is called the Volta, or Turn. The poem should have a sudden change, then be resolved in the couplet. Please ask if you are interested in more information about Sonnets.

Obviously, I took the idea of a Turn in the poem literally, and turned that massive device back on us. Even though the new Webb Telescope is a million miles out, imagine what we could see if we looked deep into our hearts and minds. Might see the condition of our condition and do something about it, so we don't have to search the universe for a new home. Just enjoy the amazing view!!

I'm proud to say I got an A for this poem straight out, with minimal corrections. Thank you Richard.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is also very well written, for me it flows smoothly with no flaws, one thing let us discuss it via messages, your title and the theme. I understand that your title says it completely and whole (find the light to heal this world) what I suggest, to use more of this idea in your poem. I don't know if You understand what I mean.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

The title was a little play on the phrase seeing the light. In the volta I turn the telescope on us .. read more



Reviews

This is also very well written, for me it flows smoothly with no flaws, one thing let us discuss it via messages, your title and the theme. I understand that your title says it completely and whole (find the light to heal this world) what I suggest, to use more of this idea in your poem. I don't know if You understand what I mean.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

The title was a little play on the phrase seeing the light. In the volta I turn the telescope on us .. read more
I really enjoyed this piece, love the universe and its mysteries. It shows us just how little we know, much like our own oceans. Well done ;)

Posted 1 Year Ago


Us men and women, always seeking more. I liked the flow of your thoughts Williams. After a time, we forget what we are looking for. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry and you made the reader ponder and think.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


You show us the future... the light... the new telescope which makes far away planets come to life...we've been waiting for this for years...we shall not forsake the earth, our planet for research in the wilds of outer space... must respect our earth and it's inhabitants.
Best, B

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

That was an interesting thought. Research can be respect. We care enough to search for solutions and.. read more
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

You're very welcome WM!
This is such a beautiful, galactic piece. It’s ebbing with beauty and tons of visual sparkle. Wonderful rhymed and executed. Stars and other planets are so fascinating, but maybe in being so appreciative if that, we forgot to look at the earth beneath us. A wonderful poem with a beautiful message. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

I liked that part of my lesson on this one was learning that a Sonnet is called a 'Little Song'. Tha.. read more
Congratulations on your A. Nicely rhymed piece that poses a good question. Why don't we turn that mighty lens of exploration on ourselves, here, in this place? Outer space is interesting, but I'd much rather learn how to reverse climate change.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Thanks John. I was thinking the telescope would cook us like a bug under a microscope the sun's so h.. read more


You are a lot braver than me sir .. and it seems to me that you were a very good student to boot .. not only that, but you appear to have drawn the good old sonnet into the 21st century with a cherry on top .. Ink well spent in my most humble opinion ................... Neville :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Big idea, folded small. The fact that what we see through the telescope happened billions and billio.. read more
You do form well. A very nice piece Bill.
We have always been fascinated with the stars and beyond. Yes, maybe the focus should be more on ourselves and our failing planet. Better repair the damage here first before contemplating travel and life elsewhere. Well done.

Chris

.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

I like that we both happen to write ebb and flow into our recent poems. Poeticaldust floats around t.. read more
Superb, What a great poem. You never disappoint, always with a unique point of view. I love it.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Thank you!! I had wanted to write about the new eyepiece since we started seeing the images. Big ide.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 29, 2022
Last Updated on July 29, 2022
Tags: Telescope, cosmos, Earth

Author

William Michael Reeves
William Michael Reeves

Seattle, WA



About
I live in Seattle. I have been a nurses aide most of my life and my experiences as a caregiver for people with disabilities has inspired much of my poetry. I love the puzzle of poetry. Expression with.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..