The GAMBLERS

The GAMBLERS

A Poem by William Michael Reeves
"

Lesson 6: Sonnets (Spenserian)

"
By covered wagon, pioneers pushed west;
from east, with hope, they came to Washington;
a wagered future ‘cross Pacific Crest …
new territory known as Oregon.

Determined men bet southern lands of sun …
to eager northern rivers, rushing fast 
would turn their luck, with golden riches won,
laid claim ~ where fate threw life, as dice were cast.

Yet, as it’s happened all through hist’ry’s past,
success had flipped a double-sided coin.
For, native peoples lost … they’d finished last;
white reservation-raced, forced red to join.

Now, tribal nations benefit the most;
redeeming games of chance … played coast to coast.

2022

© 2022 William Michael Reeves


Author's Note

William Michael Reeves
Vindication is so sweet! I like that people who were so wronged by the expansion of our society, are now done right by the greed and avarice of our society. On those occasions I made a ‘donation’ to my local Indian Tribe, I considered it a worthwhile expenditure. I was given a title and theme for this lesson. ‘The Gambler’, traveling across states. I started to write something very different, considered the theme after writing a verse, then this came out of nowhere. (Which is where my mind is)

The distinction between a Spenserian Sonnet and English is the rhyme pattern. abab bcbc cdcd ee.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a reversal in history…. First we treated the natives like s**t, took their lands and whatever treasure’s….. then much later on, some were able to pull up their boot straps and open casinos…to make themselves rich…that said, many reservations are poor, drunken peoples with no jobs, and drug’s galore….. nice write!
Best, B.



Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

I'm sorry B. I just saw your review. How rude of me. I know you know how we can lose reviews between.. read more
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

No worries, and you’re very welcome!
Best
B.



Reviews

Wow! yes an impressive Sonnet, whether I know of that history or not, it reads so perfect, with a tone as only it should be, and a face of Billigami we don't see often. Very well done Bill! it is flawless!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Thanks. What I enjoyed most about this was the poetic exercise of writing for a title and subject I .. read more
lightsong

1 Year Ago

have known myself to be a seasoned poet but seasoned reader... wow extra flavor extra ego!
<.. read more
What a reversal in history…. First we treated the natives like s**t, took their lands and whatever treasure’s….. then much later on, some were able to pull up their boot straps and open casinos…to make themselves rich…that said, many reservations are poor, drunken peoples with no jobs, and drug’s galore….. nice write!
Best, B.



Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

I'm sorry B. I just saw your review. How rude of me. I know you know how we can lose reviews between.. read more
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

No worries, and you’re very welcome!
Best
B.
A solid go at all Spenser Will. I must say I do admire your sticktoitiveness. I so rarely go back to the old ways these days. About as close I suppose is my Elegy for an Unrepentant Sinner, but even then it was only as a reply to Ted Hughes, who himself was only playing at the old style.

The subject of the poem has a grand majestic scope and you capture it well. Loved the easy cadence, no real stick-outs that forced the beat into too small a space to breathe. I thought for a moment about Hist'ry but then agreed with your choice as it reads like dialect.

One thing and this is just me speaking. I am not a fan of the 3dots in poetry. The typical idea of thought extends on past the written works well in fiction where the reader is filling in a lot of gaps with the extensive info the work has already provided. With poetry, you need to keep your reader on a leash, not so taunt as to choke them, but firm enough to keep them moving in the direction you intend. I think you might consider the use of the em dash in place of the 3dot. It will allow the thought process you want but keep the reader tight to the scan you set.
Note (we don't GOD KNOWS WHY have the em dash available in our posting boards, so a good workaround most of us use is -- of 2 hyphens, not perfect but acceptable)



Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Punctuation is so tricky. The elipses replace words. Dashes or tildes indicate additional informatio.. read more
Your knowledge and caring of your country is very impressive. If anybody knew their culture, country and society the best, each nation could blossom like USA has.
As a Persian, this poem was like a puzzle to me and I enjoyed the puzzle.
Nima

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

If you are from Persia you must be a time traveling poet. This is what my alter ego does, folds word.. read more
Nima.Hope

1 Year Ago

Yes, I'm honored to be from Persia. I like to travel through time and write poems about different ag.. read more
Rags to riches at its worst. Karma is a b***h. Skillfully written.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Thanks. Their success was another's downfall.

Aren't those shoes on the wrong feet? .. read more
This is an interesting poem concerning the history, it seems, of the states of Washington and Oregon. When I read this sonnet, it seemed to be talking about how the British or white race took the land that once belonged to the Indigenous nations. Now that their land was taken away, these indigenous nations were then forced to assimilate or adhere to the Dominant white race and give up their indigenous identity. But as time goes on, in the present... well at least where I live, Indigenous people are getting recognition for all the wrongs that was committed against them. You write the Spenserian Sonnet well here Bill, and you chose a great topic for the title that you were given. An interesting unique thought for the title. When I first read the title "The GAMBLERS" I was imagining a poker match! Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading this enlightening sonnet!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

I do believe you got it. And don't forget the 'turn' aspect if you tackle one.
William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Petrarchan has sestets, like we did in ours.
Aura

1 Year Ago

Oh yeah, got it!
Bill you always tackle your poetry in top form and twist of topic.
Lesson 6 a real winner.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Thanks Cherrie. When I learned about the Volta needing to 'turn', I took that lesson to heart. And t.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 9, 2022
Last Updated on August 9, 2022
Tags: Gold rush, Native Americans, gambling

Author

William Michael Reeves
William Michael Reeves

Seattle, WA



About
I live in Seattle. I have been a nurses aide most of my life and my experiences as a caregiver for people with disabilities has inspired much of my poetry. I love the puzzle of poetry. Expression with.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cry Cry

A Poem by Lisasview


River River

A Poem by CD Campbell


Why? Why?

A Poem by emmajoy