Sonneteer

Sonneteer

A Poem by William Michael Reeves
"

Poem that resembles an English Sonnet

"
We have one hundred-forty syllables,
to wax poetic ~ tell some stories well.
We’ll sing a song as written decibels;
notes heard by all, whereon the page they fell.
.
With naught but ten per fourteen lines of prose;
and thoughts of life, love rendered lyrical. 
Death’s melodies we poets will compose ~
imagination sung is wonderful!
.
Three stanza stand atop resolved couplets ~
together, chant in perfect harmony.
Or, octaves call from where they fall ... sestets.
In rhyme these bards of olde do hold the key.
.
For Shakespeare, Petrarch, ‘n ol’ Ed Spenser,
hearts beat iambic ~ love’s pentameter.
.
2022

© 2022 William Michael Reeves


Author's Note

William Michael Reeves
I’m off meter in the 13th line. Sounds like a poetic horror show ... ‘The Thirteenth Line’. But I want that rhyme soooo bad! And I don’t exactly turn in the Volta. Please forgive my license.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Cleverly and "naughtily" done (I love the word naught there, just a perfect Billigami touch at the right place!) of course I will choose this one. but as You already know, when it come to the structure of the Sonnet I am not the one to ask :> once I wanted a write a poem titled (Sonnet and Sonneteer) lol but not in a sonnet form so I thought it would be ridiculous.

Great One Bill.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

I ask naught of you, just so very happy you blew poetical dust on me the way you do. So as I sip my .. read more
lightsong

1 Year Ago

Ha! Billigami on the role and I am this morning naught of my poetical brew!



Reviews

Cleverly and "naughtily" done (I love the word naught there, just a perfect Billigami touch at the right place!) of course I will choose this one. but as You already know, when it come to the structure of the Sonnet I am not the one to ask :> once I wanted a write a poem titled (Sonnet and Sonneteer) lol but not in a sonnet form so I thought it would be ridiculous.

Great One Bill.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

I ask naught of you, just so very happy you blew poetical dust on me the way you do. So as I sip my .. read more
lightsong

1 Year Ago

Ha! Billigami on the role and I am this morning naught of my poetical brew!


.. No prob wotsoeva .. all is forgived and trooly tooly too .. wot a brill approximation, so congratulations to you :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


nothing to be forgiven for. It's a well thought out finely tuned almost perfect sonnet in an age where such works are rare, if ever tried. And as Winston so rightly put, breaking the pentameter was the first heave.

Pound also said, in order to break the rules you first had to know what they were. People quite often mistake that to mean in order to write free you had to master the old, but he was being much more nuanced. What he was getting at was this, in order to write great (or even passable) free verse you need to learn to trust your ear, and one of the best ways to learn that is by disciplining yourself to craft a line to fit a structure, learning to not just settle for something, but really sweating to find that perfect word to match the image you're trying to convey. by mastering the line you will learn where and how it can be fractured.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Thank you Ken. Your insight regarding poetry is clear in how you articulate it. I have learned the f.. read more
Ken e Bujold

1 Year Ago

yes thats it. and accept that the ear is not always going to be right. Even now, 40+ years of play.. read more
Check out Sonnet 29 by William Shakespeare-I wouldn’t sweat breaking pentameter once or twice. Or as Ezra Pound said, “Breaking pentameter, that was the first heave.”
I like your slant rhyme use.
W.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

W. Barrett Munn

1 Year Ago

Technically, slant rhyme uses a matching final consonant or vowel but not both.
William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

My knowledge has been enhanced. Thank you.
William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Just read ol' number 29. Out of meter in a couple lines. Bad rhyme. Then I read 18 and he made up fo.. read more
Licence is key in the art of poetry
That no metre or rhyme do crime
it's horrors to poets a blissful malady

Posted 1 Year Ago


I did like the rhythm... I feel as if you're really experimenting with different kinds of poetry... nothing wrong with that, but I loved the old WM poetry better, much looser.... and more interesting...but I enjoyed this "trial " of yours" as well.
Best, B


Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Thanks. As it happens I finished a poem yesterday that might fit the bill. (Pardon the pun) letting .. read more
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

I'm waiting! You're every welcome!
Best, B
I really enjoyed the meter of this poem. Very rhythmic and I could tell you were crafting this very carefully. Lol, I forgive your creative license on the curse'd 13th line.
The 13th & 14th lines seem well done to me
"For Shakespeare, Petrarch, ‘n ol’ Ed Spenser,
hearts beat iambic ~ love’s pentameter."
It doesn't feel contrived as you may fear (from your Author's note). But yes, perhaps -to keep it fun and elevated- try to release the bonds of strict structure. Perhaps. This may be your forte, it has never been mine.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Not so much contrived, as just out of meter. Spenser is trochaic. I tried every which way to force i.. read more
Your error in meter can be forgiven in the 13th line, for this is a wonderful "almost" Sonnet about what a sonnet is about! I find writing poems about poem forms can be a daunting task because how do you write about a form and procedure in a poetic way? well, my question was answered in this piece. My oh my, I enjoyed reading this, the way you include everything about sonnets in the poem in such a strategic and poetic way. For this, a small error in meter can be looked past. Thanks for sharing Bill, I certainly enjoyed this read :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

Thanks Aura. Strategic is a good description of this. Plotting all the musical terms and parts of a .. read more
Aura

1 Year Ago

You are most welcome. Perhaps other poets struggled with the 13th line. Could the number 13 really b.. read more
sometimes maybe the yearning for rhyming might be let go a tad.
it's a good piece regardless of the unlucky 13th line.
Spenser eh?
Have you ever read the Robert B. Parker Spenser novels? the detective with the name spelled like the poet?

they are the best.
I applaud your effort to dive into so many different forms...
but I would love to see some poetry from you, Bill, that doesn't worry about form so much as just letting it go from the gut and heart....so the real poet behind the poet, jumps out at us from the page.
j.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

I think about what you said every day Jacob. Poetry has become more challenge than expression. Obses.. read more
I must say, you're becoming a poetic Renaissance man. Quite impressive. You might, however, consider ditching that first comma in the last couplet.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

1 Year Ago

I really appreciate that you care enough to not just blindly read it and share constructive feedback.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 15, 2022
Last Updated on August 15, 2022
Tags: Poetry

Author

William Michael Reeves
William Michael Reeves

Seattle, WA



About
I live in Seattle. I have been a nurses aide most of my life and my experiences as a caregiver for people with disabilities has inspired much of my poetry. I love the puzzle of poetry. Expression with.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..