A Love That Can Never Be

A Love That Can Never Be

A Poem by William Michael Reeves
"

A Ghazal about unrequited love

"
Our lives had come together then, by chance;
connecting in need, trust fostered my chance.

I cared for her, calming a troubled mind,
drawn to her I did not dare deny chance.

Unique is the beauty of autism,
pushing against boundaries that belie chance.

Fate had taken her ability to know;
stolen what would be needed to try chance.

Then fate's tears fell on our disabled hearts ...
one in the same, destiny did cry chance.

We were forbidden by care's principles ~
accepted, yet, wished to crucify chance!

I could not ignore what I had been taught,
though, our love had no choice but defy chance.

My fears were hopes that what can never be,
could hide behind crumbling walls, whereby chance,

suddenly carried her life far away.
I, William, was left to ask why, chance?

2023

© 2023 William Michael Reeves


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Author's Note

William Michael Reeves
Didn't I write a senryu awhile back called, 'Naked Poet'? I stand before you in the buff. It's possible, that I might have, kinda sorta, maybe, fallen in love with a girl with autism I worked with for a long time. I wouldn't be the first caregiver to struggle with barriers and principles. As had been planned she moved, and the pain of that relief is something I'll never forget.

A Ghazal (pronounced guzzle) is an ancient form of Arabic poetry. The subject should be about spirituality or love. Lost or unrequited love. It is written in couplets called Shers or Beits. Each couplet ends with the same word, except the first where both lines do, and the rhyme lands just before that word. The rhyme pattern is: aa, ba, ca, da, ea, etc. There should be at least five, but no more than fifteen couplets. In the last, the poet names themselves. There is no requirement for meter, but the count you begin with should be maintained throughout the poem. A Ghazal is meant to be sung. Every part of the form has a name. If you are interested in more info ask or search it. It's a fascinating form.







My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

without reading the aouthor's note i write this is full of heart and soul, it makes one wonder about the writer, but I never go there cuz I get to entranced in where it takes me, I think that is the point of poetry but sometimes, just sometimes one wants to know the poets heart behind the poem....again, not read the authors note, I think I will skip it this time, It might take away the magic, :)

Posted 7 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

7 Months Ago

You make a good point about the point of poetry. And I'm sure we're all different. I like the notes .. read more



Reviews

Sad poetry and a sad emotive subject that does not take anything away from the beauty of the piece.

Posted 7 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

7 Months Ago

When I thought to write about unrequited love, this episode in my life came right to mind. It was sa.. read more
without reading the aouthor's note i write this is full of heart and soul, it makes one wonder about the writer, but I never go there cuz I get to entranced in where it takes me, I think that is the point of poetry but sometimes, just sometimes one wants to know the poets heart behind the poem....again, not read the authors note, I think I will skip it this time, It might take away the magic, :)

Posted 7 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

7 Months Ago

You make a good point about the point of poetry. And I'm sure we're all different. I like the notes .. read more
Poetry at its best is raw and heartfelt and exposes the soul.


Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

11 Months Ago

This was all of that and more Cherrie. I was hoping you'd find this one considering how familial you.. read more
I can't believe how "Her" has changed the whole ambience of the poem, gave it that magical sentimental needed touch. the latest few changes You did made the poem more clearer, and sure Billigami must play somewhere (crucify chance, with Bill's famous "!") or else it won't be a William's poem.

Thank You for your interest, enthusiasm and trying out one of our ancient and famous styles.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

11 Months Ago

The power one word can wield is pretty amazing. We can change time and perception. Tense and possess.. read more
Dear Bill, your story in form of Ghazal was so touching and made me emotional. What happened to that poor girl?
I guess you won't find anyone rather me in being involved with Ghazal. Persian Poetry is based on Ghazal and the top three Ghazal poets are Persian including: Hafez Shirazi, Saadi Shirazi and Hatef Ispahani.
I am so thankful to you for the reviews you gave me dear Bill, I'm gonna introduce you a Hafez Ghazal and if you liked it you can search for the translation:
یاری اندر کس نمی بینیم یاران را چه شد؟
دوستی کی آخر آمد دوستداران را چه شد؟
آب حیوان تیره گون شد خضر فرخ پی کجاست
خون چکید ا�™ شاخ گل، باد بهاران را چه شد؟
شهر یاران بود و خاک مهربانان این دیار
مهربانی کی سر آمد شهریاران را چه شد؟

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lightsong

11 Months Ago

Omnipotess says, though She doesn't understand not even one single word of Hafiz's words there, but .. read more
William Michael Reeves

11 Months Ago

Hafiz has therefore been knighted! First of Her dominion ... Her pages, should she choose to return?.. read more
Nima.Hope

11 Months Ago

You're welcome Bill.
Hafez is the master of poetry, but the only problem is that you can enj.. read more
Interesting poetic form used here. Ironically, or maybe deliberately, the repeated word is "chance" which is something I understand autistic people can't stand, for control is all important to them. Indeed, it is playing with fire to become romantically involved with a patient. There are just too many hazards in the path for happy endings to prevail.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

11 Months Ago

The whole thing was all about chance. It put me in that position. It ruined what might have been for.. read more
A beautiful but sad poem that really touches the heart, right or wrong, we cannot dictate what the heart feels. Wonderfully written. I hadn't seen this form before, very interesting.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

11 Months Ago

Do search it for more info than what's in my notes. I like the history of all these classical forms .. read more
A beautiful poem (i read the description ) ( I used to work with kids with autism, it depends where on the scale they fall) Unrequited love is what we strive for in life; but sometimes there are barriers that for some reason this love does not bond. Then we have mixed feelings about the decision we made...or it's made for us in this case.... An exquisite write W.
Best, B

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

11 Months Ago

That's the thing about autism, it takes decisions away. Decisions about behavior and safety. And it .. read more
William Michael Reeves

11 Months Ago

Thanks Betty. Exquisite is a nice compliment for one of the most personal poems I've written. Thanks.. read more
Betty Hermelee

11 Months Ago

You did a great job. With this, difficult emotions to scribe.
Best, B
nicely done...my niece is autistic, but severely.

but for someone who is not...can love work? I ask, why not?

Posted 12 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

William Michael Reeves

12 Months Ago

That's a complicated question to ask. The answers are as unique as people. In my case the energy I g.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

11 Months Ago

when we can be stronger than ourselves...there is victory in that...and maybe some peace as well.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 20, 2023
Last Updated on April 20, 2023
Tags: Autism, unrequited love

Author

William Michael Reeves
William Michael Reeves

Seattle, WA



About
I live in Seattle. I have been a nurses aide most of my life and my experiences as a caregiver for people with disabilities has inspired much of my poetry. I love the puzzle of poetry. Expression with.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


homeland homeland

A Poem by lightsong