Lost Magic

Lost Magic

A Story by Britiney Harper
"

..something i've been working on for a long time.. and has grown up a lot..

"

Fabulously 15

 

            Mari Silver looked up and down the street and sighed again. This was supposed to be her summer vacation but only a few days in and it was turning out to be the worst summer ever. She’d had some bad summers before; like 3yrs ago she’s come home to find out that her parents’ on-again off-again relationship was off yet again. It had to be at least the 3rd times since Mari was born, or at least that she knew. Usually she spent her summers by the pool at her dad’s mansion, her other home. But she hadn’t even gone up there since she’d come home almost a week ago. Today Zach her brother said he was coming down to see her since she hadn’t left the house.

            The whole reason her summer was looking so gloomy was because Jessie was gone. Jessie had been like a sister to her, even though they were just cousins. For 10yrs Jessie lived with Mari and her family. She’d been there even longer than Zach, who’d lived with them since he was 10 but was adopted when he was 12. It was a huge shock when Uncle Augustus appeared at their door the morning after they came home from school. In the 10 years since he’d left Jessie in the care of his youngest sister, he never once visited. And before the sun set that day Jessie was packed up and taken away and that was where the summer began to turn sour.

            So as she sat there on the top step, Mari was pretty sure that this summer wasn’t going to get much better. The day after Jessie left, she found out something about herself that threatened to ruin the rest of her life. It was a hard to explain dangerous sort of infliction, that she would have to deal with. Her parents had decided that before she turned 16 at the end of the summer she needed to know. They had known all her life what she was and what was wrong with her and now so did she. Though she didn’t want to admit it, there was no way she could have handled this news before now. Pretty much things didn’t look like they would be improving anytime soon, best friend gone and her new secret. That was another thing, though she was becoming somebody else, something else, she couldn’t say a word. Of course Zach knew and her parents knew and she assumed the rest of her family either knew or would know soon.
            “Mari,” someone called from behind her. It was her mother standing there in the doorway. She was tall, beautiful and barefooted. Sometimes Mari had trouble believing she was her mother’s child. Taloya had skin almost the color of honey, dark eyes, dark hair and a body that wouldn’t suggest that she was nearing 34. Her long hair hung down her back, Mari was in awe of her mother’s beauty and her agelessness. It was amazing, she and Mari shared clothes sometimes. She stood there in short boxer shorts and a tank top. “Zachy called, said he’s been calling your cell phone. He has to work,” she told her daughter.

            “Oh well, “Mari replied shrugging.

            “Your father is going to kill me,” she said sitting down next to Mari on the top step and sighing.

            “Are you dating someone?” Mari asked, but she knew that couldn’t be true. She knew all too well that her parents were meant for each other and they never dated.

            “That would probably be better,” she said and Mari stared at her. “I’m going out to dinner with an old friend. Who he hates, but I’m going anyway.” A thoughtful expression crossed her face. So Mari knew this was big trouble.

            “Who?” She asked, there weren’t too many people her father did like.

            “Luke Hallow, he use to work for your father. He went to school with us and he was good friends with your father and uncle. I guess they had some falling out or something, I’m not sure. You know how I feel about his business,” Taloya said dismissively. Not much could hold her attention. “So what are you planning to do while I’m gone?” She asked turning to look at Mari; she had been staring absently at the street.

            “I’m not a baby I can stay by myself,” she told her mother who just smiled.

            “Your father said he’s stopping by, he wants to take you to dinner if you wanna go. We talked and he wants to spend time with you before school. I thought it would be a good idea. Ever since Jes left you’ve been moping, it’s not healthy,” Taloya said. She’d been worried about what all these changes were doing to her daughter.

It had been years since it was just the two of them. She knew her inconsistent lifestyle was probably driving her daughter crazy. But the thing about Mari is that she never complained and probably never would. Though she made a point to never to move too far from her husband, because she knew she would always go back.

“No, I’ve just been thinking and gaining some perspective,” Mari told her mother. “I leave for school in 3 months and you’ll be here alone. I was considering staying since I’m advanced anyway and maybe just go to a regular school around here. I don’t know I just don’t want to have to go through Atlantic without Jessie. Zach will be too busy for me since it’s his last year. So it just makes more sense or you could home school me,” she went on.

“Excuses Marina,” her mother said after considering her a minute. She looked straight into Mari’s eyes. “You stay here and you’ll be miserable. That you know, don’t let what’s happened this summer ruin your life. Being who you are is very important, don’t ever forget that. You Marina Adrianna Silver are going to do such great things,” she took Mari’s hands. “Besides nobody knows, with good reason and you can live a perfectly normal life.” She hoped that Mari would be ok now, but she wasn’t exactly sure.

“Fine,” Mari said and her mother hugged her. “He’s here,” she whispered and they both looked up.

Seconds later a black sports car, with tinted windows pulled up to the curb. A man in a black suit got out of the car and walked towards them smiling. He was every woman’s dream, tall dark and handsome. Looking at him now Mari was trying to find similarities between herself and her father. He too had dark eyes and dark hair, he was quite muscular, with tan skin that was still darker then Mari’s but hers was lighter then her mother’s. You could just feel the air of power when he entered your presence.

“My girls,” he greeted as he walked up the steps. Mari got up to hug him; Taloya rose as well but did not hug her husband. “You don’t wanna come with us Mami?” He asked her and she rolled her eyes.

“I have things to do,” she replied.

“Too bad,” he said still smiling. “Now how’s my baby girl?” He asked Mari, who was silently hoping her parents’ relationship would be on-again.

“Perfect,” Mari said brightly.

 “Good, go get your stuff I’m kidnapping you,” Toro told his daughter. Without a word she nodded and went inside the house, leaving her parents alone. “Not a good idea going out tonight Taloya,” he said to his wife when they were alone.

“Just because I married you doesn’t mean I have to listen to you,” she replied.

“Just think of our children, Zach needs a mother and I know my Mariquita needs me. Come home and stay away from Luke Hallow,” he said and she laughed.

“I love my children, but I will never let you control me again. I’m no longer a silly little girl in love.” Taloya realized yet again as she always did when her husband was around, exactly why she needed to get away.

“Think that way if you want, but if I find out he touched you his life is over,” he said with a smile on his face.

“Ok because you never touched another woman?” She challenged, he looked shocked by the question.

“You think that?” He asked and she shrugged. “Why would I bother? You’re mine and I can have you whenever I want to. Now, I’ve indulged your little rebellion long enough, it’s time for you to come home. Our daughter needs to be home where she is safe and protected,” he said and she looked back to the door.

“We’ll see, I’d like to spend sometime with her alone before school,” she told him and he nodded.

“Good, I need my girls safe. Especially since she knows what’s going on. Besides you know you miss me and want to come home,” he said boldly and of course she rolled her eyes.

“We’ll discuss this later,” she told him dismissively.

“Come to dinner with us so we can discuss it then,” he said with wicked smile on his face. He was always very persistent, that was partially how they ended up together.

“I have plans, besides you need to spend time with your daughter. She’s so confused about what’s going on with her. I’m worried about her,” she told him and he nodded.

            “She’s strong, everything will be fine, she just needs time to process. There’s no way we could change it anyway, she is who she was meant to be. And with this she will do amazing things,” he said with a thoughtful look on his face.

            “She’ll do good things and she will never work for you,” Taloya said staring straight into her husbands eyes.

            “Of course not, that’s why we have a son; he will take over my business. I never saw her in business, no my Mariquita is meant to take over the world,” he said smiling. Taloya knew that he wasn’t joking, he was dead serious, but before she could reply Mari came back out.

 

 

            The next morning Mari woke up with a smile on her face. She was in her bed at her dad’s house and for a second she thought they had moved back home. Then she realized she’d just spent the night. After what she heard yesterday, she knew that it wouldn’t be too long before she was back here for real. She really missed living up here, even though everything was always pretty crazy with so many people living on the property. Usually there weren’t many dull moments, but right now it was still early so it was quiet.

            Slowly she got up from her bed and went to brush her teeth. One thing she loved was having her own bathroom. After that she walked over to the other side of the house. Family on the east side, inner circle business associates on the west side and various staff all over the house. That had pretty much been the layout of the house since Toro got big in the family business. Scattered across the perfectly kept grounds were houses of families involved in the business. There was also an Olympic sized pool, a basketball and tennis court, horse stables and an exercise facility, among other things. When she reached the west side she stopped at the first door at the beginning of the hall and knocked.

            “Come in,” called a voice, but not the one she expected. She went in anyway and there on the bed sat a gorgeous young women with a big smile on her face.

            “I didn’t expect you to be here,” Mari said to Spring Fernandez. She happened to be the girlfriend of Toro’s second in command. That being so this was one of the nicest rooms in the house. Though Tavear was more of a simple person so he wasn’t much into decorating.

            “I know, but he wanted me to wait till he gets back. Keep me company,” she told Mari who came in and closed the door. The drill was that nobody was supposed to actually ever see Spring in the house. But Mari of course happened to accidentally come upon her the last time she’d come home for a visit. Ever since then they’d become the best of friends.

            “Why do ya’ll hide? I’m sure my dad would understand, even if you work for the council,” Mari said sitting down on the bed.

            “Your father isn’t quite as understanding as you might think. Especially where the council is concerned,” Spring told her. “Anyway, you look troubled, what’s up?”

Of course Spring would know she had a lot on her mind. Maybe that was what led her here; she needed to talk to someone. Tavear was an obvious choice, but maybe she had already known he wasn’t there. These days Mari wasn’t sure what she knew for fact or what just came to her. Things were coming to her more and more each day and it was becoming quite confusing.

            “I think I’m having a mid-life crisis,” she said and Spring smiled. “I know you have to know what I am and I can accept that. I can deal with what I am but I’m not so sure who I am. I’ve never really fit into my dad’s rich snobby family and I’m certain I never will. And there’s my mom’s working class family that try as they might don’t really get me. I’m not even sure I get me anymore; I use to have this simple life. Complicated only by my parents’ rollercoaster relationship which by the way I never minded, it’s always been their normal behavior.

            “Now Jessie’s gone and I’m going to be heading back to school alone and my 16th birthday is coming without my best friend here. Oh and on top of that I’m not the same person who came home a week ago. How do I go back there now? I can’t tell anybody and apparently this puts me in danger?” She sighed and laid back on the bed closing her eyes.

            “Well that is a lot for a 15yr old to deal with, even one as smart and talented as you. Realize though that you were already wise beyond your years and powerful beyond your education before your transformation even began. I know I wasn’t at school last year or before but I have looked into your records and Tavear has always bragged about you. Mari you have no idea even as a baby you were doing things that no child I’ve ever even heard of could do. It is confusing I’m sure, I couldn’t even relate and I won’t try.

“I was like you once, my family with their money and aristocracy and all that crap. What I wanted was to get through life on skill and intelligence and not my family’s money. We have both been given wealth and we have both tried to make a life away from it. You are someone who regardless of this blessing or curse would have always been powerful. Your parents both have amazing skills and are all powerful, but you must realize that you are even more powerful then them both. You may be confused, but everything will come together in time, I promise.” Spring said hoping that she was lifting Mari’s spirits even a little bit.

            “Why does everything have to happen at once though? I come home from 9 long months of school and everything falls apart. This was supposed to be a great summer; Jessie had all these plans for my birthday. I feel like I’m depressed or something I haven’t really left the house,” she confessed and Spring nodded.

            “Honey, life doesn’t really get easier as you get older. Look at my life; I never thought I’d end up back here with Tavear after all these years. But here I am in his room in your father’s house. You know this room has been the exact same since he moved in here years ago, it’s sad actually,” she said looking around thoughtfully.

            “It’s Tavear what do you expect? You’ve known him longer than I have and I’ve known him my whole life, he’s simple,” Mari said and Spring laughed.

            “In his choice of bedroom décor yes, but in life he’s so complicated sometimes. Hints our extremely unorthodox relationship,” she said laying back. The way she smiled when talking about him, it was clear to Mari how much Spring loved Tavear. It made her think of her parents, two very different relationships both way too complicated.

            “So what are you and Tavear up to tonight?” She asked and Spring made a face.

            “Well we’re supposed to have dinner; he hasn’t taken me out in ages. He shows up at my grandmother’s house unannounced and expects me to cook for him,” she said. Her expression or annoyance didn’t quite match the twinkle in her eyes. “But going out is hard, business usually interrupts us halfway through and he has to run off while I go home with leftovers. Which of course he shows up at 3am to eat, when I have work in the morning. For future reference don’t get involved with business men, especially ones that work for your father. It’s a 24/7 and 365 type of deal, you never get a break from it as you can see,” she sighed but still had that look in her eyes. “So anyway what do you have planned for tonight? I’m open to a date crasher if it’s you, that way when your father calls him off I won’t be alone,” she offered.

            “Oh I have a date,” Mari said simply, but clearly Spring wanted details. “Well my friend Sonya had me hook her up with my friend Malik months ago and her cousin just moved here from somewhere in Europe and she thought it would be fun to double. I’m only going because she’s won’t leave me alone and my mom said I need to get out of the house. More like she is forcing me out of the house,” she explained.

            “That’s exciting, I remember when I was your age, though it wasn’t long ago. I’m only 9 years older than you, oh but I think the point was something about mine and Tavear’s first date,” Spring said smiling.

            “How old were you and Tavear first start dating?” Mari asked slightly confused, she knew Spring was younger than Tavear, but she’d never known exactly how much.

            “I had to be 14 or 15 something like that,” Spring said dismissively. Mari just stared at her, how could that be? “Crazy right? I was friends with your mom because she was always just so amazing and was my home school tutor. So I use to come over here to study and all that and babysit you, and there was Tavear, always around.

“I had a huge crush on him, but at the time he was my age so I never thought he’d look at me. Until of course your matchmaker-wannabe mother set us up. We went out and of course I was in love, how could I not love a hot Irish-Egyptian Prince?” She smiled dreamily as she clearly was thinking of him. And as if on cue the door creaked open to reveal Tavear standing in the doorway smiling.

            “I could’ve sworn there was only one of you here when I left,” he said smiling his big bright friendly smile. It was rare to see Tavear without a big smile on his face, that was just who he was. “Sorry it too so long Mi Amor, but I should be pretty free the rest of the day,” he said as he sat down next to Spring. He kissed her forehead and she smiled as he pulled her into his arms.

            “Well I probably ought to be getting home,” Mari said and they both turned to look at her. Secretly she wished that one day she could be in love like they were. And she wished her parents would stop acting like they didn’t love each other. But since her parents weren’t normal people and she’d never had a boyfriend, it all seemed very unlikely.

            “No, don’t stop with the girlie talk cause I’m here. What where we talking about? Did it go like ‘girlfriend that new pool guy is hot, we need to go lay out and get our tan on and look at his cute butt’.” He said in a fake girl voice, they all cracked up laughing.

            “We were talking about you, crazy, which you know cause you were listening at the door,” Spring said.

            “I would never do that,” he said in a would be offended sort of tone. But his smile gave him away even more than his tone did.

            “Well eavesdropper, Spring was telling me about when she first met you,” Mari told him.

            “Ahh what day,” he said smiling brightly. He laid back with his arms behind his head in his storyteller position. One of his favorite thing was telling stories, fact or fiction or in-between, he loved to tell them.

            “Uh-oh he’s reminiscing,” Spring joked.

            “Such a cute little girl she was when I first saw her, those long dark brown curls. I knew I was in love almost immediately. But of course I felt crazy because she was a child. Some how I convinced myself with help from a certain young mother that it would be ok to take out that beautiful young girl.” He paused a second opening one eye to look at them and he smiled. “But look nearly 10 years have passed and I have me an amazing young woman who is very talented and will take the Unity Council into the 21st century.

            “Now Mari it’s not ok to go out with some creepy 25yr old, even if he’s as amazing as I am. I can admit that I was stupid, but once we went out and got to know each other, I just knew.” He said opening both eyes and taking Spring’s hand. She flushed red and smiled at him.

            “So anyway, Mari, how old is this boy?” She asked changing the subject which trying to regain some composure.

            “I think he’s 17,” Mari replied. In reality she didn’t really care, she didn’t even want to go on this date. But she couldn’t back out now and or Sonya would kill her.

            “What boy?” Tavear asked, he stared straight at Mari trying to look serious.

            “Our little Mari has a date,” Spring answered for her.

The look on Tavear’s face surprised her. It was a look her dad or Zach would give, they were overprotective. But not fun loving Tavear who smiled more than anyone else she knew in the world. She wasn’t a baby and she knew how to handle herself. Maybe it was just a male thing, so she wondered how it was possible that Spring had ever gone out with Tavear so young. If it was a big deal that she was going out with a guy only older than her by one year and some months.

“He’s Sonya’s cousin, I’m only going because she begged me,” Mari told him. “She’s making me do it, besides I never even met this Victorio guy. From what I hear he’s a self-obsessed player and I’m not interested,” she went on.

“Still though, aren’t you too young to date? You might need me and your dad to escort,” Tavear said thoughtfully. Both Mari and Spring stared at him like he was crazy. He couldn’t help it though that he’d been around Mari her whole life and felt the need to protect her like she was his own child.

“Mari is grown up enough to be able to date, mind your own business,” Spring told him coming to Mari’s defense. “As long as he’s age appropriate of course,” she added with a wink. “Oh and remember stay away from business men and definitely princes. You just need somebody that’s uncomplicated, you’re so young you don’t need anymore drama,” she went on.

“Oh are you complaining about my work again? Who’s the one going off to boarding school for a year so that all the teenage boys can stare at her? I’ll be here all alone while you’re up there on the island,” Tavear said. There was a slight tinge of bitterness in his voice. Clearly he didn’t want to be away from her for so long.

“Oh hush I took this job way before you decided to come back into my life. I never thought I’d see you again and there you pop up. Oh and teenage boys? Are you kidding me? You were the one that liked teenagers,” Spring countered.

“Ya’ll are both crazy,” Mari said laughing.

“But that’s exactly why you’re in here with us isn’t it? Besides I would bet your parents are little crazier. Don’t worry though Mariquita, you’ll always be welcome when Spring and I get our own place,” Tavear said. His eyes were closed again but Mari knew it was because he didn’t want to look at Spring. She was staring at him as if the thought was too crazy for him to have said aloud. Before another word could be said the door opened and there stood Mari father.

            “What an interesting gathering,” Toro said.

            “You just walk right in, I could have been naked,” Tavear said without opening his eyes.

            “Well I wouldn’t think you would be naked with my teenage daughter in here. Then again you always did like the young ones, but I’d hoped you’d grown out of that by now. It’s not good business preying on teenagers at your age,” he said calmly.

            “Only one teenage girl and she’s grown into a beautiful young woman,” Tavear replied. Both Mari and Spring were silent.

            “I see that,” Toro said and at that Tavear opened his eyes. “There’s no need to hide from me Spring, I’d never dream of harming you or throwing you out of my house,” he went on surprising them all.

            “Well I didn’t think you’d want me here with my job and all,” Spring replied.

            “If you’re a spy that can be dealt with but considering your ties to Tavear and my wife and daughter, I figure you aren’t,” he said dismissively. “Anyway, Mari you’re mother is on her way,” he said then turned and left.

            “I told you he wouldn’t care,” Mari said to Spring who still had a shocked look on her face. “Anyway I gotta go, but I hope your date goes well,” she said getting up to leave.

            “Yours as well, I will be expecting details,” Spring said hugging Mari.

            “Don’t let that boy touch you or your father and I will have to teach him a lesson,” Tavear said matter of factly.

            “Ignore this old man, have fun, just don’t have sex with him,” Spring said and Tavear stared at her.

            “That’s not funny, she’s too young,” Tavear said.

            “I’ll see ya’ll later,” Mari told them choosing not to say anything else. She left the room closing the door behind her, Spring was giggling because Tavear was tickling her.

            Before Mari could get back to her room to change, she spotted Zach and Eien in front of her room. Eien had been staying with the Silvers since the beginning of the year when his parents kicked him out. The whole thing was a lot of drama, but he had a summer job with Zach working for Toro. Zach and Eien had been best friends since they met in school, but Mari had known him first. Since there were always people moving in and out of the mansion, it wasn’t out of the ordinary that Eien had moved in.

            “Baby sister,” Zach greeted and they followed her into her room.

            “You stood me up,” she replied.

            “I had to work, last minute thing I couldn’t get out of and I did call you and your cell phone was off,” he replied as he flopped down on her bed.

            “Lonely without Jessie, so you need your big brother?” Eien asked and she just rolled her eyes.

            “I’m on my way home, I have things to do,” she told them. “Oh and I don’t feel like dealing with you two, get a hobby.”

            “So what’s this we heard about and Victorio Lumo?” Zach asked and she turned away from her closet to stare at him.

            “What about him?” Mari asked but she knew they had to know about her date because of Malik. That was the trouble with having the same friends as her brother and living in a small town.

            “You have a date with him?” Eien asked, at that she turned back to her closet. Ever since he moved in Eien was acting more like he was her brother than he ever had before. Both boys had appointed themselves as her own personal guard and were always in her business. It was even to the point where Eien actually came to stay the night when Zach came to stay with her and their mom.

            “Why is that your business?” She asked, at this point she was pretty sure she was just going to go home in her pajamas just to get away from the guys.

            “We don’t think it’s a good idea,” Zach said. “How well do you even know this guy? Cause we did heard a few things,” he went on.

            “Mind you business boys, I’m a big girl and can handle myself,” she told them as she headed to the door with her book bag. “Oh and stay out of my room,” she said as she walked away. It was amusing to her that she’d never even met Victorio, but everybody was so concerned. Of course it was because she’d never even been on a date, but she didn’t even have high hopes for tonight.

 

 

            “Why are you here?” Taloya asked when she went to the door and saw her husband standing there.

            “How can you be mad? I did ring the doorbell and didn’t walk in like you always complain about,” he said walking pass her into the house.

            “Again, why are you here? Mari isn’t home,” she said following him as he inspected her house.

            “I came to see my wife,” he said picking up framed pictures off the table.

            “Toro, I’m not doing this again,” she said but he didn’t seem to be paying attention. The last time he’d showed up unannounced, she’d done something she regretted.

            “What is wrong with being intimate with your husband? We’ve been together for years, it’s not a big deal,” he shrugged. “Though I’m surprised you keep family pictures with me in them in your living room,” he said looking back up at her.

            “Toro, why are you here? When I said we’d talk I didn’t mean just show up here,” she said.

            “Well you went on a date last night, I thought I’d ask you about it,” he said sitting down on the couch. He gestured for her to join him; she hesitated but sat on the other end of the couch.

            “Stop being such a child, it wasn’t a date, friends can have dinner. It went as well as could be expected, he hates you,” she told him.

            “And I bet he’s still in love with you, he could never handle the fact that I won,” he replied and she laughed.

            “That was a long time ago, I’m pretty sure he’s moved on. He has a family of his own now and I know he’s not still pining over me,” she said.

            “Oh he is, why else did he want to see you last night? You haven’t spoken to him in years,” he said. Though she didn’t want to admit it, he was right about Luke popping up suddenly being weird.

            “I can admit that I never expected him to show up at the store, but it isn’t because he has had a crush on me for 20yrs, that’s ridiculous,” she replied.

            “Why’s that so hard to believe? Haven’t I been in love with you all of that time? My love you would be surprised at how long a crush can last,” he told her.

            “Do you really still feel the same way as when we were kids?” Taloya asked against her better judgment, but she was curious.

            “Of course, forever is forever no matter how hard you try to fight me. But on a more serious note this has to be the end of your rebellion, things have changed so much and its time for you to come home. If it’s a problem for you, we can have separate rooms,” he said.

            “Fine,” she said simply and he stared at her. “Maybe it really is time for us to come home, but I don’t think the separate bedrooms will be necessary. When I come back, I guess I will have to go back to being your wife. Besides the children would probably be bothered by it,” she said.

            “Ok, I’ll have everything packed up, you can come home tonight,” he said eagerly. The tone of his voice made her feel bad, why couldn’t she just grow up?

            “Shouldn’t we talk to the kids first?” Taloya asked, she knew this was what she had to do and that it was permanent this time. After going back this time, she was stuck being Mrs. Toro Silver and running the house.

            “For what? They want our family to be together and they don’t understand you like I do,” he said. Why did he have to be so sweet and understanding? Most people never saw this side of him, she missed it.

            “Just don’t expect too much Toro, I want to ease back into this slowly,” she told him and he nodded.

            “Whatever you want,” he whispered as he came closer to her. “Anything you want, I’ll do it,” he said. But he was pulling her to him and he kissed her.

            With Toro Silver there were only two speeds: fast and now, there was no slow. So it wasn’t surprising that he was kissing her, but it surprised her that she was kissing him back. It made her feel like a teenager again, hiding out at her friend’s house so that she could be with him when their parents forbade it. But now they were married and had been for almost 17 years and a lot had changed. Her parents still didn’t approve of him and they actually encourage her to leave him for good. But everybody that knew them knew that they couldn’t stay away from each other too long, no matter what split them up in the first place. Back at the age of 14, Taloya never expected this to be her life when she started dating her brother’s friend that was 2 years older than her. This was turning out to be exactly like the last time he showed up and she was home alone. It was their anniversary then and it was right before the kids came home, he’d ended up spending the night.

            “Wow,” they heard and broke apart to see Jasmine standing in the doorway. Jasmine had been Taloya’s best friend all her life and occasionally lived with her.

            “Jas, what’re you doing here?” Taloya asked moving away from her husband.

            “Clearly I’m interrupting something,” Jasmine replied with a giggle. “Finally, ya’ll are back together, I almost thought it wasn’t going to happen,” she said. “Anyway lovebirds don’t stop on my account, it’s so cute that ya’ll are making out like when we were young,” she laughed more and disappeared into the kitchen.

            “So, are you going to act like last time and pretend you hate me?” Toro asked when they were alone.

            “I never hated you; I just thought what happened was inappropriate since we were separated. There’s no crime in kissing my husband, especially since we’re no longer separated,” she said and he stared at her. Taloya really hoped that this was the right thing to do this time and it wasn’t just because she was a little lonely. Being away from her husband for 3 years was hard, especially when he couldn’t take no for an answer. It had been the most interesting separation they’d ever had, but this was it. Now, it was time to go home.

 

 

            Mari stared at the ceiling in her room; she was finally back home at the mansion enclosed in the massive grounds of the Silver compound. It had been a week since she moved back home with her mother and she wasn’t as happy as she thought she would be. It was safe here, with guards and a big wall that surrounded the whole compound. But she was hiding from the world and that was the problem. She couldn’t forget what her parents had told her and it made her afraid to try to venture out in the world. Beyond the gate, there was no certainty and that worried her.

            The date she’d gone on with Sonya’s cousin hadn’t turned out like she expected. Sonya had dressed her up in what Mari thought was a way too revealing outfit, which got her attention she hadn’t anticipated. Victorio was nice and he was good looking and he had an accent to die for. But she wasn’t exactly interested and she had been sure at the time that he wasn’t. The days after when she hadn’t returned his calls and texts, Victorio sent her flowers. Then he sent her candy and cards and some how he knew all of her favorite things. His pursuit was relentless and she admired him for that. However her dad didn’t appreciate him showing up at the gate wanting to come up to the house. It had been two and a half weeks and since he wasn’t giving up, she gave in.

            The problem wasn’t Victorio; it was her life that was the problem. She was almost certain that she was depressed and had actually considered having her mother take her to a psychiatrist. But what was she going to tell the doctor? No one was supposed to know her secret and that would pretty much defeat the whole purpose. That was only one of her problems; the other was Jessie’s disappearance. Mari had written so many emails to her cousin that weren’t replied to and Jessie’s cell phone was disconnected. It seemed like Jessie was being erased from her life completely and she was starting to lose hope. Her mother insisted that Jessie would be fine and all of this was no reason to hide in her room.

            Since moving home Mari had rarely left the compound, mostly she was in the house and in her room. She avoided her friends and just wanted to be alone. Which was unacceptable to her mother so she had to go out tonight and soon she’d have to go back to school. It was time for her to try to live life again and get back to some form of normal. At school she wouldn’t be able to avoid her friends because she lived there with them. But she tried not to think of school with Jessie’s empty bed next to hers. Maybe Jessie would show up for school? She really hoped so, because she hated wondering what had happened and if Jessie was ok. Mari didn’t know her Uncle Augustus very well, but she knew he couldn’t be the type of person to hurt his daughter, right? There was no way that her grandparents would raise such a person. More and more everyday she was clinging to the hope that it was just that Uncle Augustus wanted to catch up and spend time alone with Jessie. It was the only thing that made sense and she had to believe this otherwise she was going to go crazy. Jessie would be back sooner or later.

            Aside from her issues there was another reason she didn’t want to go out with Victorio again. Mari didn’t have any real experience with boys and dating, it never really interested her. In her 15 almost 16 years of living she never had a boyfriend and had only ever kissed a boy on a dare. The double date was the first date she’d ever gone on, but she’d been asked out twice before and declined. So going out with Victorio again meant that she was doing something she’d never done before. All her life she was just friends with boys, especially after Zach came along, she wanted to be like him and do whatever he did. Mari was nothing like her girl friends and they all tried to change her. Going on a date alone with Victorio freaked her out; she wasn’t sure how this was going to work. But she couldn’t get out of going to dinner and a movie with him and he was on his way to pick her up. It as funny that after all that had already happened that summer, the thing she was most worried about was going on a date.

 

            Suddenly she felt like an idiot for not doing this sooner, maybe if she’d known it would feel like this then things would have been different. Mari was in the backseat of Victorio’s SUV with him and they were making out. His lips were so soft and she couldn’t believe she turned him down before. Why hadn’t anyone ever told her how amazing this was? Her insides were melting, especially as his hand was rubbing on her thigh. This definitely had to be the reason why people like to kiss and she was now one of those people. Even though she had nothing to compare this to, Victorio had to be the best kisser ever. She wasn’t sure it could get better than this and she didn’t exactly want to try to kiss anyone else. But all her thinking came to a screeching halt and her eyes sprung open as he slid his hand under her tank top.

            “Too much?” He asked and she nodded, how could he know what she was feeling? This had to be fate if he could sense her feelings.

            “A little,” she said trying to clear her mind.

            “Wanna just talk for awhile?” He asked and she just nodded, this wasn’t what she expected from any guy. Even so he pulled her into his arms and held her close.

            “So what made you decide to go to Atlantic this year?” She asked, only because it was the first thing that came to mind. But the fact that he was transferring into her school made school seemed like it might not be as bad a year as she expected.

            “It wasn’t really my choice, my parents decided to move us back here, which I didn’t agree with. My last year of school and I have to change schools, but I will admit you’re making me glad that this happened. If they hadn’t decided to uproot us, then I would never have met you,” he told her. He smiled this big beautiful smile that she knew no girl could resist and the way he looked at her made her feel unlike she ever did before.

            “Well I wasn’t all that excited to go back, but I think this year might have some potential,” she replied. Maybe it was years of hanging out with Zach and his friends made her confident around guys. But it was also a fact that despite Drusilla and Jessie’s best efforts she had no idea what flirting was or how to do it.

            “You and I are gonna have some fun,” he said staring straight into her eyes. “Maybe I’ve been a little forward with you tonight, but I’m really drawn to you. I don’t want it to sound like a pick up line, but I’ve never felt like this before. Would you agree or am I making a fool of myself?” It was weird to her that he seemed nervous, guys weren’t usually nervous around her and generally didn’t show much interest.

            “I’m kicking myself for not going out with you sooner,” she told him and he smiled that amazing smile again. All she could really think was that how could she not feel the same with that smile and that accent.

            “So why did you make me wait so long?” Victorio asked, that was a good question but how could she really explain her behavior?

            “Well I’ve never really had a boyfriend or dated or any of that, so none of this makes any sense to me,” she confessed.

            “Oh so you’re saying you want to be my girlfriend?” His expression was bemused, and she felt incredibly stupid.

            “I’m sorry, I’m just babbling,” she said feel like crawling under a rock. Maybe he really was just one of those guys that liked to mess around with girls, but not be serious with them.

            “No, you’re misunderstanding me,” he said. “I feel so connected to you that I could marry you. You are so amazing; I can’t believe no one has ever saw that. I barely know you and I think I’ve become completely obsessed wit you.” Before she could reply he kissed her and that was all that really needed to be said.

            “Where have you been all my life?” She asked him and he shrugged.

            “Waiting for fate to bring me to you, believe me when I tell you I never believed in soul mates before. And after two dates with you I feel like there’s something I’ve never felt in my life,” he said.

            Any moment Mari was going to wake up, because things like this only happened in movies and in dreams. There was just no way that Victorio was saying what he had and she couldn’t be here with him. Maybe she’d fallen asleep and was still waiting on him? It wasn’t possible that he kissed her and that she could actually feel safe with him. She didn’t feel safe anywhere away from home, but right now everything was fine for once. How could it be that he came into her life when it was free falling into hell? So this was either a dream or he was just messing with her head.

            “Seriously?” Was what she asked, she was in too much shock to say much else.

            “I am quite serious, yes,” he replied smiling that smile. “It’s soon but we can try the whole boyfriend and girlfriend thing, if you want. Though I’m not sure how many people really want to make a commitment after only two dates and weeks of avoidance. But I hate the thought of someone else kissing you, so I want to have you before anyone else can get close,” he said.

            “Ok,” she said in a mild daze.

            Where was Jessie when she needed her the most? This was Jessie’ thing, she was as boy crazy as they came and she’d tell Mari what to do. Jessie would be waiting at home for details and they would stay up all night that was how it was supposed to be. But Jessie wasn’t at home waiting and nobody knew where she was. This was the biggest moment of her teenage life and Jessie wasn’t here. She felt guilty for it, but she has happy when Victorio had her so distracted that she couldn’t think of Jessie. Wasn’t that wrong? Wouldn’t Jessie be thinking of her if she was missing? Maybe she was thinking of her right now. There was no way to know anything for sure, accept that Mari had to move on. It wasn’t about forgetting, but she had to go on with her life and just wait for the day when Jessie returned.

            “Are you sure?” Victorio asked pulling her away from her thoughts. All she could do was kiss him in response, suddenly she felt like the world was an entirely different place.

 

            “I love this!” Sonya squealed yet again. It was the next day and her; Mari and Drusilla were sitting on the balcony off of Mari’s room.

            “Marina Silver is finally one of us!” Drusilla squealed equally as excited.

            “It’s not that big of a deal,” Mari said. She leaned back against the cool glass on her open French doors and closed her eyes so she could picture last night again.

            “Definitely is when you’re going out with my cousin” Sonya said. “You’ve never gone out with anybody and you had to be forced to go on a date. This is a huge deal, especially when he had you in the backseat of his car,” she was barely able to contain herself.

            “Mar, you have to admit that this is huge. Ever since Jessie’s been gone you’ve been depressed and distant and you don’t want to see any of your friends. Then in the blink of an eye you have a hot boyfriend that after being with you all night and sends you flowers. No guy has ever sent me flowers and I am way jealous btw,” Drusilla said making a face.

            Mari didn’t want to say anything; she just wanted to remember last night. Why had she told her friends anything? In reality she didn’t need to say much, Victorio lived with Sonya right now so they grilled him last night. Then they showed up at her house uninvited to get details from a date they already knew everything about. Now she knew that they were the reason for his persistence, they had been advising him not to give up on her. And though she was grateful for her friends they still weren’t Jessie.

            “He is so amazing,” she whispered before she could stop herself.  She opened her eyes to see her friends staring her giving her this look that she didn’t like.

            “I feel left out, you both have boyfriends and I have no one, it’s tragic,” Drusilla said pouting.

            “Oh please like Malik takes me anywhere? The double date was our only date, ever. He invited me over the other day so I could watch him and his friends play video games and once they left he wanted be all touchy with me. Boys are so gross,” Sonya said bitterly. Even though she was mad they all knew she was still obsessed with Malik.

            “I haven’t made out with a single boy this summer and before ya know it we will be on our way to Atlantic. This is a crisis,” Drusilla declared. She leaned back on her elbows clearly deep in thought while she was pouting.

            “Have a party,” Mari suggested. It was surprising that party girl Drusilla hadn’t been the one to think of it first.

            “Brilliant, pool party and we can invite all of our favorite people. Mostly boys are invited of course, Mari you have a whole boy plantation at you house,” Drusilla said excited. Then she got up and dialed a number on her cell phone, she went back into Mari’s room. When they heard her signature ‘Daddy’s little girl’ voice they knew she was making arrangements with her father who gave her anything she wanted.

            “So Vic was up all night telling us about you, it was disgusting, but I’m happy for you,” Sonya told Mari. “Honestly I don’t think he’s ever been serious with anyone, he’s always been such a player. But I know he is definitely into you, he won’t shut up about you. I hate you so much, why can’t Malik be like that? We’ve known ach other for years and Vic has known you less than a month,” she went on shaking her head.

            “Malik adores you, he begged me to hook ya’ll up, he’s just a guy,” Mari said. It wasn’t much comfort she knew, but she made a mental note to say something to Malik.

            Even though she’d never been in a relationship Mari was expected to be an expert for all her friends’ sake. It was true that big and strong Malik had been too embarrassed to talk to Sonya. To Mari the whole thing was hilarious, he was the confident class clown until it came to the one girl he really liked. A lot of guys just didn’t know what to do when it came to commitment, somehow Mari knew. Which made no sense since she had no relationship prior to last night and her parents were the worst example of a healthy relationship even when they were together. Somehow though all of her friends were giggly girly girls, Mari wasn’t like that. In fact she hated how girls were all goofy for a guy and wouldn’t just talk to them. That was usually where she came in; she had a reputation for being a match maker. And now that she had a boyfriend and her friends were being all girly, she was refusing to go over to the dark side.

            “Ok, so my mom would tell me I’m going to Hell for what I’ve done, but Malik and I did you know what,” Sonya said. Her tan cheeks were rosy red and she stared at the ground. “He’s just so cute and sweet sometimes, I hate it but I don’t even know if I love him,” she went on.

            “Well you both have strong feelings for each other, so why should it be wrong?” Mari asked, but she knew why Sonya thought it was, her religious mother. “So tell me, is Victorio a virgin,” she asked against her better judgment. As expected Sonya stared at her like she was crazy. “I’m just curious, I don’t want to do anything I would just feel weird asking him,” she said but the damage was already done.

            “Um he’s a 17 yr old boy who lived in Europe most of his life, what do you think? Just how far did your lil hook up go? He was trying to be candid about what happened in that backseat,” Sonya was suspicious.

            “Nothing happened, we just kissed a lot,” Mari said innocently. That was the truth but when he had slid his cold hand across her stomach, there was a look in his eyes. Of course he had to want more than kissing and cuddling, she wasn’t naïve.

            “You’re sure that nothing happened?” Sonya asked and Mari rolled her eyes.

            “Why would I lie? Really we did nothing but I just wonder cause I have absolutely no experience and how long would he want to really stick around if he isn’t getting any,” she replied.

            “Mar, he’s a great guy and yeah I’m bias cause he’s my cousin, but he really likes you. I can admit he is a former man-w***e but you’re 15 why should he expect anything? Besides if I was a guy I would be afraid to even talk to you with your dad, guess they don’t have a healthy fear of him in Europe. Maybe your dad should expand his business so that all the guys in the world are afraid to touch his little Mariquita,” Sonya laughed. Mari tried not to laugh but she did anyway.

            “We’re in business for tomorrow, so we just need to figure out who’s invited and make some calls,” Drusilla announced when she came back out.

            “Let’s get to work them,” Sonya said picking up her cell phone off the floor. 

            Mari realized that she wasn’t alone even if Jessie wasn’t around; she had really great friends and an amazing family. This party would be the most social thing Mari had done in a long time. It was time to really start living again and enjoying her life. Besides this gave her an excuse to call Victorio to invite him and to see him again tomorrow, there was just so much potential for the rest of the summer.

 

© 2010 Britiney Harper


Author's Note

Britiney Harper
.. i tried to fix as many mistakes as i could.. but there are probably a few.. please tell me what you think its VERY important..thanks!!
<3

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very intricate story...
Interesting characters.
I enjoyed it. I am left wanting more.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

458 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 6, 2008
Last Updated on January 14, 2010

Author

Britiney Harper
Britiney Harper

pittsburgh, PA



About
...A Few Things... 1) Hi! I'm Britiney 2) I Love to Write 3) I love to read 4) I'm a nerd 5) i love my Family more than anything else 6) I've been writing since i was 8yrs old (but really b4 tha.. more..

Writing