Chapter 1 - The Realization

Chapter 1 - The Realization

A Chapter by Death Stalker
"

The start of it all.

"
"Attention passengers, we are having a slight difficulties with our engines, so if you would please put these masks on as the television screen will show you how. We are going for a rough landing." A voice screamed into my ears as I tried hard to peel opened my tired eyes. The annoying dangling object in front of my base assisted in waking me up. I opened my eyes to see an oxygen mask. Fear creep up into my active imagination as I forget everything the announcer said. I scrambled to followed the instruction on the television screen.

As soon as I turned to ask the frighten overweight guy next to me about what's happening, a loud bang echoed across the entire hallway moved suddenly. I hit my head onto the seat in front of me and darkness overwhelmed my eyes.

I woke up and felt something stinging my eyes. I force it open again and discovered that I was underwater. I ripped off my seat-belt and swam up to the surface of the water. A huge object cluttered the surface of the water, as I realized I'm trapped in here, surrounded by dead bodies. A clump of hair tickled my back, I turned around to see the frighten overweight guy that was sitting next to me only moments ago. His eyes stared at me blankly as blood mixed in with the water from his forehead.

I looked around to try and find the exit. A hole in the wall showed a way out, but the bodies are blocking the path. I whimpered with fright as I try and not think about them as I pulled them away. "Hey! We got someone alive in there." A voice shouted from outside, several splashes reached to my ears as several men pushed the bodies away like they're just floating objects. One of them put out their hands, I grabbed it and they pulled me out and help me swim to the shore.

The near drowning caught up to me as I violently coughed the water out of my lungs. As the coughing fit settled down, I looked around on my surroundings. A sandy beach stretches for yards. It seemed to curve around a huge forest smack dab into this island. I tried hard to ignore the crying and screaming and listened for the wildlife that could be in the forest. I heard many types of bird calls. This forest was active with wildlife.

I took notice that there was only a few people on this beach. One of them was crying so hysterical, several women surrounded him to try and calm him down. The two men who pulled me from the aircraft looked like they are completely lost, yet is aware of their surroundings.

Among the shocked crowd is a boy, he looked like this is an everyday thing for him, he sat on the log and simply looked bored. After the hysterical man stopped crying, he stood up and walked to the two men and asked them, "You're a pilot, you probably flew over this ocean many times, are we safe here?"

"I don't know. I'm new. This is only a second time I flew over this island. How about you Smith?" One of them turned to the other.

"I'm not sure too, they switch me out on all different routes, it's hard to memorize everything on those routes."

The boy walked away from them, walked past me and started swimming to the area where the aircraft was recently submerged. The two pilots chased after him screaming for him to stop. the boy called out, "If this island have no sort of humankind besides us, we're gonna need something to alert others that we are here. So if you would so kindly help me find something we can use?" He added the last bit with a strong tone of sarcasm.

The pilots agreed and the three submerged into the water again. I walked to the crowd of three and introduced myself. "Hello, My name's Emily."

"Jenny." One of the women said, she looked a lot like your average middle aged secretary to an office. A bi-focal glasses, plump, and walk with a strut.

"Lindsay." A young teenager smiled while brushing her long brunette hair. She looked like an average cheerleader, skinny, beautiful, and not a trace of acne scar anywhere on her face.

"G-Greg." The older man said with a broken voice. He looked middle-aged as well.

"May I ask why are you crying." I asked, trying to not to be rude.

"Jean. My wife. Tomorrow's my 49th anniversary, now she's just... gone. I stared into her cold, dead eyes."

Jenny pulled out a tissue and handed it to Greg. A splash alerted me of the rest, I turned around and see a small figure quickly trying to escape one of the pilots' grasp. "DON'T TOUCH ME!" The little boy screamed. "My dad has a gun! Hands off!" He kept screaming, the pilot finally pulled him onto shore. Lindsay walked over to the little boy and spoke with a calm and low voice.

"Calm down, little boy. We're not bad people, we're good people."

"No you're not. This evil man here hurt me!"

"I did not, you refuse to let go, so I had to pull you out."

"But why?" The little boy growled at the pilot. "Why won't you let me be with my mama?"

A sadness overwhelmed me as he said that. As it did with others as they froze. Except for the bored boy. "Listen kid. Your mom's not here. The mom you saw in that aircraft isn't your mom anymore."

"What you mean? She's right there!"

"Yes, your mom's there. Have you heard of turtles?" He said. The little kid nodded. "Well then. You, me, him, and everyone here are a turtle shell. The real thing are inside us. When something tragic happened to us, sometimes our shell can ignore the pain. Sometimes it does not, and the real thing inside us gets brought to Heaven."

"You mean... mama in airplane is a shell? She's not here anymore?"

"Correct." The bored boy nodded and walked back to the log and sat down and fiddled with the objects he brought from the aircraft. The little boy crumbled and started crying.

"What's your name?" Lindsay continued.

"Ethan." He said through a teary voice.

"Name's Hannibal." One of the pilot said before the rest introduce themselves. After saying my name, I walked to the bored boy, held out my hand and introduced myself.

"Mort." He said, sneering at my hand. I pulled it down to my pockets, smiled toward him and walked away.

"Hey kid, got anything good?" Smith called out to Mort, who seemed to be fiddling with a purse.

After some memorizes flooded back in. I called out, "Hey! That's my purse!" I walked toward it and grabbed it. Mort released it without a fight.

"Anything good in there?" He asked. "Anything that can send a message to passing boat or aircraft?" After thinking it through, an idea popped up in my head.

I scrambled through my purse and pulled out a lighter. "Smoke signal?" I asked. Mort showed a slight smirk as he grabbed it, checked to see if it works, then stood up and walked to the tree line. Where he disappeared into.

After a while, he came back out with a large bunch of twigs, branches, and small flammable stuff. He placed it in between the tree line and the waterline. "If you hear an aircraft, set this on fire. If you see movement along the horizon, make sure you're not hallucinating before setting this on fire."

"So, we're stuck here?" Lindsay asked.

"Yes, the airplane's underwater, and we crashed hard, so the radio inside is probably broken." Hannibal muttered.

"Probably not, Hannibal, try and rip it apart from the aircraft as the best you can, Smith, help him too." Mort commanded.

"Whoa, who put you in charge?" Smith bit back.

"You pilots are in shock, so you can't function right, the sobbing mess of the old man is too hysterical to be making any sense. The teenager just a cheerleader, and by the look of it, the mid section of the pyramid. So no leadership ability there. So the only choice is the crying kid, me, or Emily." Mort said as he walked to his log and pulled out a knife from one of the luggage.

"Fair enough, come on Hannibal." The pilots went underwater.

"Emily, take this." He handed me back my lighter, "Hear for aircrafts and watch for boats. I'm going to grab some materials so we can make a shelter, if needed. Secretary woman, when the pilot come back up, if they have the radio, take it and put it on the log I just sat on. Then tell them to go back and try and see if they're able to get us some food and water."

"We're in an ocean, we have plenty of water." Lindsay scoffed.

"You're lucky you're cute." Mort simply said before vanishing into the tree line.

"Jerk... what does that mean?" She muttered under her voice.

"Salt water is bad for us." I said as I sat down into the sand and relaxed while staring at the horizon with a lighter in my hand.


© 2013 Death Stalker


Author's Note

Death Stalker
At the moment, I have nothing to do, so I'm SUPER bored, and I haven't done any writing in ages. So I figured to try and get rid of the rustiness in my writings. Feel free to tell me how terrible this is.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the story so far! and no, it's not terrible :) But in need of editing! I love the concept, and the plot line so far - I can't wait to see what happens next. Good work

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Added on September 11, 2013
Last Updated on September 11, 2013
Tags: surviving, lost, island, drama


Author

Death Stalker
Death Stalker

Tucson, AZ



About
I like to write, any story that lurks into my mind. I've been writing as long as I can remember. It all started with nothing to do, it was nighttime... I was sleeping, I have a vivid dream, that ta.. more..

Writing