Plagiarism

Plagiarism

A Story by Blackbirdsong
"

I'm featuring this again because there is plagiarism on this site and this issue needs to be addressed.

"

 

 

Plagiarism

 

No this is not a sensationalist piece meant to garner ratings, but an honest article for any who may have questions or isn’t sure what plagiarism is.  Let’s face it, all writers have a silent code amongst ourselves in this and other writer’s communities, groups, clubs, and organizations, etc., and that is this:  Don’t plagiarize my work.

 

Most of us don’t feel the need to verbalize it since as I said there is a silent agreement, but there are those who feel the need to post warnings on their work, blogs or websites warning would-be word thieves what will happen to them and their various body parts if it is discovered that their work has been stolen.  The reason is simple; there is a very real fear of being plagiarized.

 

So the question arises; what exactly is plagiarism?  Many have opinions about what it means, and I could easily give you a list of some of those, but for the sake of not trying to confuse anyone or take up too much of your time with this article, here is what plagiarism actually is:

 

Plagiarism is the practice of claiming or implying original authorship of (or incorporating material from) someone else's written or creative work, in whole or in part, into one's own without adequate acknowledgement. Unlike cases of forgery, in which the authenticity of the writing, document, or some other kind of object itself is in question, plagiarism is concerned with the issue of false attribution.”

 

Notice I used quotation marks?  That’s because that statement is not mine, but quoted from another source; that source to be exact - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

 

Here’s is some more from that same webpage: (mentioning that this is from another source and then giving that source’s information is called a “citation”)

 

“Within academia, plagiarism by students, professors, or researchers is considered academic dishonesty or academic fraud and offenders are subject to academic censure. In journalism, plagiarism is considered a breach of journalistic ethics, and reporters caught plagiarizing typically face disciplinary measures ranging from suspension to termination. Some individuals caught plagiarizing in academic or journalistic contexts claim that they plagiarized unintentionally, by failing to include quotations or give the appropriate citation. While plagiarism in scholarship and journalism has a centuries-old history, the development of the Internet, where articles appear as electronic text, has made the physical act of copying the work of others much easier, simply by copying and pasting text from one web page to another.”

 

*The italics in the above paragraph were added by me for emphasis.

 

I would also like to add that you risk being forever blacklisted, which means that you will not be able to publish your work.  How is that possible you ask? Because publishers and editors share information like this amongst themselves.  So if one of them catches you giving yourself credit for something that someone else has written, they are going to make it their business to tell others about it.

 

Why you may ask? Because plagiarism is considered to be the lowest thing one writer can do to another. But more importantly for the publication, they risk being sued by the original author if they publish plagiarized material and worse than that, they risk being blacklisted themselves.  And in a business where reputation is everything, that is everything.  Besides being extremely unprofessional on the part of the writer, it breeds an atmosphere of distrust since when it is discovered no one is going to feel able to trust that you won’t do it again. 

 

Some may argue that there are no original ideas anymore and my opinion of such an argument is that whoever thinks that is probably someone I should watch out for, because there are original ideas and ways of taking something such as a love story and putting your own particular stamp on it. 

 

Examples:

 

  1. Anne Rice took the age old story of the vampire and made it uniquely her own. How age old is it? Well according to the information found here: http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~vampire/vhist.html , vampire myths go back thousands of years.  So even Bram Stoker, the author of “Dracula,” which was published in 1897 was borrowing the idea for his book from a legend.  Did he plagiarize it? No, and neither did Anne Rice.
  2. “Star Wars,” and “Lord of the Rings,” along with quite a few other books borrow from the some of the oldest themes in writing; the hero on a quest, the romantic couple, the wizard, the dark lord, etc.  But each of those stories takes those familiar themes and then does something completely different with them.  If you want to read more about this other archetypes in literature, and also some basic literary elements, there’s more information about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype#Archetypes_in_literature

and here: http://www.orangeusd.k12.ca.us/yorba/literary_elements.htm

 

I’m sure that after reading these lists you might be able to think of other examples in literature and movies that also fit those ideas. I’m pretty sure each one of us could come up with something uniquely our own using this page as a guide and create something that could only come from our imaginations and abilities. 

 

But the bottom line is still this:

 

There is no reason why you or anyone else who claims to be a writer can’t do the same thing. Which of course is what any writer who has the capacity and the imagination to write should be able to do.  If you still want to argue that there are no original ideas and use that as an excuse to steal work and ideas that aren’t your own, then perhaps writing isn’t the field for you. Seriously.  Try something else.

 

So the next time you want to quote a song or words from a movie or borrow anything from another writer’s work give the original author, composer, movie or whatever it is, their due.  Use quotation marks, mention the author’s name, use citations but for god’s sake don’t pretend that it’s your own original work.  For those of us who are poets and fiction writers, that goes the same for you too.  We aren’t immune from being blacklisted and publically heralded as thieves.

 

Hopefully now its clear what plagarism is, so for those who aren’t sure you have an explanation and to those who you are doing it, you have a warning.  You will be found out, because sooner or later these kinds of things are always found out.  You will ruin your reputation and any hopes of having a writing career of any kind.  So you may want to ask yourself a couple of questions:

 

  1. Is the momentary attention that I’m receiving really worth losing my reputation as not only a writer, but also a honest human being really worth it?
  2. Do I really want a writing career, which  means not only that I’m a serious writer, but also that I’m willing to live up to standards of journalistic professionalism?
  3. Why am I doing this in the first place? If I’m a creative person then surely I must be able to come up with ideas of my own which come from me, my experiences, my abilities and my craft.

 

In the end its up to each one of us to decide what we want to do.  Ignorance isn’t an excuse,  there is no excuse for plagiarizing someone else’s work.

© 2009 Blackbirdsong


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well first off, hats off to you for having the courage to say this as it is on the tip of everyone's tongue yet we all seem to go mute when there is time to get right down to brass tax!! You have said EVERYTHING that makes sense in terms of what a plagiarist is and God loves everyone, but this issue is really a thorn in my side. I was a victim once and when I contacted the website they did NOTHING! I sent a cease and desist letter and finally they took it down. It is both offensive and in BAD TASTE to copy other's writings...online or off, and take credit for it yourself...it is a shameful act and shouldn't be tolerated. A writer puts his or her blood, sweat and tears into what they create and to have it stolen is hurtful to say the least. I agree with you in saying that people CAN and SHOULD be able to write something on their own because like you said, if they can't they shouldn't be writing! Bravo, cheers, well done and all that other fun stuff...You did this professionally, you are a REAL writer! :)

PS- The picture is phenom. ;)

Posted 16 Years Ago


10 of 10 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hear hear! I get tired of seeing lyrics in people's writing or things others have written without the original author being properly credited! I think anyone who commits an act of plagiarism is childish and inexcusable. It makes me sick. Those who steal from others don't deserve to be called writers.

Posted 13 Years Ago


@ Ashley: Again, is this supposed to be an insult? I do not plagiarize.

@ BBsong: Plagiarism will always exist. There is no fine line between inspiration and plagiarism. It is pointless to argue for or agaisnt an abstract cause. Yes, word for word copying is cheating. But there comes a point where plagiarism ends and recyclism begins. And it is different for every person. Who gave you the authority to tell people what's what? Are you that much above everybody else that you may tell people what Plagiarism is? After so long, every single idea will have been thought of. Everything will become old, or recycled, to the point no new creativity what-so-ever. Hence you get what I see here daily: recycled ideas and poems here on Writerscafe. Where does it stop? When does Plagiarism end and free expression begin? How similar does something have to be to be called plagiarism? You opened the door; think about how abstract it is.

I do not plagiarize. I never have. I never will. I am far more creative than the normal human being; look at any of my work and I’ll prove it. But, unlike others, I recognize the fact we inspire one another into greatness. “Just as iron sharpens iron, so does one man sharpen another (Proverbs 27:17)” Humans are an interdependent species. Our ideas are built upon one another. Plagiarism as I know it is often used, in essence, to further the greed of mankind. We want to be special, individual, unique; often to the point we drown out the creativity from others because it is ‘too familiar’. I admit myself I have been inspired by other authors here on Writerscafe. Just as I have seen myself inspire others. The exchange of knowledge and ideas is necessary for the human race to move forward, lest we be bound behind by our own greed.

I agree: do not Plagiarize.
But who has the authority to define it?

Just my humble thoughts,
Writer

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is no such thing as an original idea, just recycled. I will argue that with my last breath. Every story you read or think of has been done before. The only thing that really changes is characters and settings.Plagiarism isn't so much the stealing of ideas as it is stealing someone's work almost word for word. Taking their piece and throwing in a few of your own words for a kick.

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You speak for writers everywhere and for that my friend I must say you have my most utmost respect. You were trying to make a point when you wrote this and I don't think anyone could have made it more clear and well written than you did.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

All I have to say is: Agreed.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yeah, there is plagiarism on this site, but, when so many minds clash together in the name of written expression, sometimes your ideas can inspire other writers here. It's only natural. But there is a vast difference between inspiration and just outright using someone's work. Like when I read Fantasy on this site, I get the urge to write Fantasy, but I certainly don't consider using anything from that particular author's idea. That's inspiration. This is a really good point you make throughout this piece, and I especially like your examples, with Anne Rice's Vampire ideas, and the Lord of The Rings and Star Wars themes.

Personally, I use classic works, and modernize them to put them in a setting and terms my people can understand, somewhat like remastering them. For instance, I wrote a modern version of Shakespeare's "Macbeth", and plan on writing a modern version of Nathanied Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown." But this is my way of paying homage to those writers who paved the way for me.

Posted 13 Years Ago


you had a lot of time to do this and i love it awesome

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm not going to redundantly repeat what has been said 66 times, and I can't exactly review this, so I'm not sure what more there is to say. It's very well written, even if it has been something that has been written about before. Plagiarism is a serious issue and deserves to be spoken about. I do wish you had spoken more about why people do it (there are a variety of reasons), but I can't exactly fault you. Thank you for speaking for all of us honest writers

Posted 13 Years Ago


Bravo! Our writings and ideas are like our fingertips. In a court of law it would be easy to claim my work because it is uniquely me. I have hundreds of people who would testify, that this has been my life experience. These are my words, this is my personality. It is an expression of who I am.

Stealing someone's words is denying your own voice. A voice which is probably just as worthy of being expressed and developed as anyone else's. Your crushing your own spirit and with holding your own truth, when you seize the words of others.


You'll always be running from the shadows, afraid someone will reveal the dark side of you. Plagiarism is a cowardly way to live.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

7838 Views
95 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on January 25, 2009

Author

Blackbirdsong
Blackbirdsong

Turtle Island



About
I'm Native American and Black, and I have very nice teeth. more..

Writing
D-n-A D-n-A

A Poem by Blackbirdsong



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..