The Lonely Wanderer

The Lonely Wanderer

A Poem by Lovecraft
"

A "Man" travels the world, observing everything, both good and bad.

"
I Wander throughout halls of life, my eternal vigil.
My travails have left me destitute of compassion,
For I have witnessed all of what humanity is capable.
I have been present for the greatest triumph's,
And for the worst defeats of this place.
I have felt Hope and Despair, Joy and Sadness throughout my wanderings...
The depth of human feeling has dulled my mind,
To the point where I feel nothing but nothing,
And I begin to wonder what I'm doing here.

I've wandered the earth for centuries, 
Experiencing everything it has to offer.

Perhaps I have no place left here, wandering aimlessly,
Perhaps I should move on to somewhere, anywhere,
But here...

© 2017 Lovecraft


Author's Note

Lovecraft
This is a poem I've wanted to write for a while, so here it is. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This piece hit home for me,I have felt these feelig more often than sometimes...I loved how you lined it and expressed yourself so well also you can hear the douhgt towards the end which is real coz life is all about dought and questions.

Well done

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks, Micky. ;D



Reviews

I know this feeling well, being old myself & quite disillusioned with the direction our world is going. Sometimes it does feel like I've been "wandering for centuries" . . . & I love the way some of your lines have double & triple meanings. Almost daily I think the thoughts in your last stanza (well-expressed) . . . *sigh!* (((HUGS))) fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


Incredibly well written. A wonderful read!

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is quite a beautiful and moving piece, Lovecraft. I liked every line of this as there is so much truth in this write. You have used some very beautiful words and presented some honest facts about humanity. We see many things good and bad but only some get that thought of identifying and presenting that through words and you are sure one of them.
Contemplation, realisation, journey along with bundle of emotions, I could feel everything of it. Thought provoking poem! I really liked the thought, content and presentation of this write.
Well done. A fine writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Gorthi. I just imagined what it would be like to travel the world, perhaps for .. read more
I read this two or three times before i could 1) make up my mind about what i thought and 2) compose a review that would make some sort of sense.

It made me think quite deeply, which is not a foreign concept to me.

"My travails have left me destitute of compassion,
For I have witnessed all of what humanity is capable." - I love this part, probably my favourite lines. it had me thinking.... I have witnessed all that humanity has to offer, i have put all of my energy and strength into finding something worth my efforts, but in the end its just drained me of everything i have and i am left with nothing.

"I have felt Hope and Despair, Joy and Sadness throughout my wanderings..." - This had me thinking of people I have come across in my lifetime, the fact that you gave them capital letters personified them for me. I read the words as the names of the people i attributed the emotions to rather than the emotions themselves.

"Perhaps I have no place left here, wandering aimlessly,
Perhaps I should move on to somewhere, anywhere,
But here..." - This line was a perfect ending. As though all of the wanderings were futile, because in the end, i have nothing and I just want to be anywhere but here.

A great read. Thank you :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the in-depth review, Sam! In many ways your interpretation is correct. In my mind I en.. read more
SamSim27

7 Years Ago

I would probably feel exactly as you have written it here... Truly wonderful piece.
I love p.. read more
Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Try reading my poem Bloody Snow. That will make you really think. People have various interpretation.. read more
This was very emotionally moving and sad...... makes you wonder what is life all about anyway. ... loved it!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks, Hebes! I wanted it to be desolate and emotionally bleak. ;)
So another go. You've made me think, yet again. It feels almost like a riddle trying to find out this "man". Don't really know if I can! But I'll try. "Travails." I wouldn't have looked so deep into this, but once already I've known you two use one for two. Work and toil, usually of a painful nature. Travel is a lonely thing. It's not a far stretch considering the theme. Ever present, for good and bad. A wide spectrum of emotions to the point that this "being" is tired of feeling. Perhaps "he's" experienced everything because everything must end.

Makes me think of an empath who can't talk, coupled with a lonely existence where travel is involved with the arduous job. An eternal vigil. I think the wanderer is death.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but death can be a bringer of hope, despair, and sadness. Joy, even, depending on one's beliefs. A kind relief. Death comes for all, but we never really converse with it. That or this wanderer is the concept of life, considering travail can also refer to the labor of childbirth. But I don't think that's the case. Either way, awesome poem. Great job. I loved it.

Hope you don't mind the long review.. :/

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Actually long reviews tell me how much thinking you put into the themes and concepts of this poem. .. read more
Nicole Laszlo

7 Years Ago

Well at least I'm not wrong! Oh man. Well I'm glad :). And any time. Thank you for keeping me away.. read more
Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

lol, no problem. :)
I can clearly understand the emotions behind this poem. Everyone goes through that phase in life when they think that they have no worth in this world. You have transformed your feelings into words in a very clean and poetic way. Well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks, Zoe. Though this is more of a metaphorical poem than anything else. But you're interpretatio.. read more
Zoya

7 Years Ago

oh, I wasn't able to get that. Anyway, you're welcome :)
Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

No problem, this poem can be interpreted in several different ways. ;P
I love it! Job well done! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks Lauren! One of my more "Philosophical" poems, you might say... ;)
This piece hit home for me,I have felt these feelig more often than sometimes...I loved how you lined it and expressed yourself so well also you can hear the douhgt towards the end which is real coz life is all about dought and questions.

Well done

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks, Micky. ;D
I like this one and it makes me wonder if this is what it would be like to be God, omnipresent. Or maybe just the experiences of life giving you the wisdom over many years to not let external forces adversely affect you anymore.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks. The Wanderer could be God, but I know he isn't. Then again it's your interpretation so that'.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1261 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 14, 2017
Last Updated on January 18, 2017
Tags: Lonely, Travel, Dark, Lost, Life, World, Guardian, Neutral, Observe, Human

Author

Lovecraft
Lovecraft

Spencerport, NY



About
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” - H.P. Lovecraft Scientia Potentia Est- Latin- Knowledge is Power.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic