The Corridor

The Corridor

A Poem by Lovecraft
"

Walking through a corridor and reliving your life.

"
An endless corridor of bleak gray walls, surrounded,
Stains and puddles of black and red, spattered about,
The memories and experiences painted everywhere I trod.

I walk quickly through, avoiding the faces on the walls,
Weeping and crying out to me with their sullied impotence,
Reaching out at me with their nonexistent hands and eyes.

I begin to sprint wildly, evading the grasp of the
Memories and Experiences which have informed my Life.

The exit at the end is so close yet always far,
A white light suffusing the door with a beauty.

Finally I reach the door, grasping handle and swinging it open only to find myself once more at the very beginning.

I scream in utter futility, knowing I can't reach the end.

But still I traverse this dreaded corridor, 
Desiring some sort of way out, to somewhere,
Some area in which I can completely forget.

There is no way out, no exit sign...

© 2017 Lovecraft


Author's Note

Lovecraft
Just a quick little poem regarding Life. Any criticism welcome. ;)

I have added another verse.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

this is a very bleak view of life. however, I can understand its point. Life is a never ending struggle that even when you think you have reach some end it just leads to the same disappointment. The never-ending search for happiness is truly eluding.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Its terribly blunt for being so wrapped around. It matches my own view of life and therefore I can relate. Always searching and never quite finding, stuck in monotony and wishing for more.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

It may be a bleak view, but is it not also true in many ways? :)
AshlynnStyx

7 Years Ago

That it is.
this is a very bleak view of life. however, I can understand its point. Life is a never ending struggle that even when you think you have reach some end it just leads to the same disappointment. The never-ending search for happiness is truly eluding.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There are parts of life that become a trap the secret for release tucked deep inside destiny design. The form the trap takes is different for everyone. A sad but true place here is we realize it for what it is and challenge it anyway. Your walls are strong and inescapable the only way out is to feel the things you avoided when you built this trap. I was overcome with sadness reading this and I felt a bit haunted as if this stirs something I would rather not face. I also thought of Hell itself reading it as vision of hell. Well, Trap for life, Haunting or Hell very entertaining write. Great job. Sir Lovecraft

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Dame Terror. ;)

Your review is very thought-provoking by the way. I like .. read more
has a bit of a dark hotel california sort of kick to it, you definitely like to swim in the dark, good writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks. Another reviewer also said it reminded them of Hotel California, lol.
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

really? that sucks, i thought i was being original!
Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Lol, I do believe you are quite unique. ;)
This reminds me of having a recurring nightmare....running trying to get to the end only to find yourself at the beginning. ..the description is so vivid...i felt i was running down that corridor....... yikes! Let me out!!! Excellent writing!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks once again, Hebesy! ;)
A never ending corridor. Even though you had this down as a poem - it felt like a short story. The descriptives, darkness and fear ingredients were all there to be read - and boy did I read it. I love the dark side of reading and writing and you captured this perfectly with this great, great short piece.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks, Mark! I actually started this as a short story a couple years ago but decided to format it i.. read more
I really enjoyed this. It draws the reader in and it seems like I'm going on the journey myself. "Sullied impotence"--so good. It keeps the soul on edge, and I appreciate poetry that can command the emotions like that. Excellent job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thank you, My Fellow Traveler.
Some times being in this state of mind happens to me after a old relationship that left me locked in a dark closet for days all battered.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Sometimes it's about all of your memories an being unable to hide from them. ;)
Definitely creepy but with a strong lesson in the middle. I like how this invokes a raw emotion but the language is so eloquent.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like how there are faces on the walls. Makes it spooky. Also how it's sort of a horror story, reliving life over and over again. Although this person seems to have a sad background story, I think anyone would get tired of/ only see the dreadful things in life, if they were to live it over and over. You should add more, I want to see where this goes. If it's only a representation of a painful life, you should try to make another version that is a story. How did they get here? Whos faces are on the wall? WHY can't he reach the end?
Great write :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks. I agree that I made it too short. I should add a bit more detail too.

He can.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

542 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 9, 2017
Last Updated on February 10, 2017
Tags: Poetry, Poem, Life, Memory, Sin, Guilt, Dark, Death, Love

Author

Lovecraft
Lovecraft

Spencerport, NY



About
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” - H.P. Lovecraft Scientia Potentia Est- Latin- Knowledge is Power.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..