The Freaks: Prologue

The Freaks: Prologue

A Chapter by Blake
"

Prologue

"

 

     Prologue

 

 

 

 

 

     The hallway was lit by an eerie green glow, the lights above flickering and bursting out sparks. The squad of soldiers slowly made their way down the hall, their weapons held waiting for an attack at any moment. They were all silent, slowly making their way towards the other end of the hall. Though they might not have been showing it, but they were all terrified at what they might run into.

 

     The whole world knew of them. Those monsters. No one knew exactly where they came from or how they were created, but they were feared throughout the world, nonetheless. They were sort of pets for warlords in the Middle East, who would use the creatures in their attacks. You may be wondering what made them so frightful.....

 

     When the squad of soldiers made it to the end of the hall, the squad leader nodded. "All clear," he said. They made their way towards the double doors, anticipating what may lie on the other side. One of the men went up to the door and slowly opened it to a narrow slit, peeking out with his gun ready for anything. He opened it a little wider, slowly leaning his head out more into the room beyond, making sure the room was clear. He pulled his head back in and nodded. "All clear, sir," he said.

 

     The squad leader gave the command to move through the doors. They all held their weapons high as the man at the front slowly reopened the doors. Back-to-back they scanned the room.

 

     "All clear," the squad leader said. They all breathed a sigh of relief. Out one more door and they were free from this hell hole.

 

     Then, out of the shadows of the high ceiling, one of them, one of the monsters, dropped on to the squad leader. The monster sank his claws into the soldier's face, raking out his eye balls and sending flesh flying through the air. The man collapsed to the ground as the monster leaped towards another soldier.

 

     While the monster was in mid-air, bullets from the soldiers rang out, echoing in the large room. The monster hit the floor while being plowed down by a barrage of bullets. They continued to shoot even after the monster went motionless. Finally, they ceased fire.

One of the soldiers went over to the leader. He examind the man's mutilated face. He gave a slight nod just to prove everyone's fear. Their leader was dead.

 

     "S**t," one of the soldiers cried out. He shot the monster again, getting his revenge off the dead creature.

 

     "We have to keep moving," another solider said. "He'd want us to." They all agreed. They turned their backs to the dead monster and made their way, a little more hastily than before, towards the exit. Just as they reached the last set of doors, the soldier at the back of the group screamed horrendously.

 

     They all turned to see the soldier's head inside the presumed dead monster's mouth, his fangs sinking into the soldier's neck. The creature pulled back from the man, and the soldier's head broke from his neck, still lodged in the monster's mouth. There was a loud crunch! as the terrifying monster chomped down on the man's head. Blood poured out between the fangs of the creature.

 

     They all opened fire again. The bullets broke into the pale, naked skin of the monster. The monster's eyes, pitch black, glared at all the soldiers, as if choosing his next meal even while being shot. However, he did not fall this time. Instead, he slowly made his way towards the squad of soldiers as they continued to fire bullet after bullet.

 

     One of the soldiers ran out of ammo. The monster took this opportunity. He quickly leaped towards the soldier. The soldier had no time to react before the creature's fangs sank into his face and began biting down on his jaw. The other soldiers ran for the exit. However, one man stayed behind long enough to throw a grenade at the monster devouring on his friend.

 

     The grenade's explosion rang throughout the air, still lingering in the surviving soldiers' ears even after the grenade had long been detonated. They were all sweating furiously, breathing heavily. They had no energy, nor time, to speak. They ran towards the helicopter waiting for their arrival.

 

     Through the doors at which the grenade had exploded, the monster, burning skin dangling from his own broken body, burst out from the black smoke and ran on all fours like a gorilla towards the soldiers. They saw him coming but did not waste their time shooting at him. They put all their remainging energy on running towards the helicopter.

 

     None of the soldiers at the front of the group turned around when they heard several terrified screams from behind. One soldier ran side by side with two others. After about five seconds, the soldier to his right vanished and a scream rang out behind him. The scream quickly turned into a gurgle, as if someone was blowing bubbles in a glass of milk. Then the gurgling went silent. Through his own struggled breathing and sound of his boots clomping against the ground, the soldier could hear the monster gaining up on him. The creature's bare feet pounding against the ground and the rapid humf humf of its breathing.

 

     The soldier to his left vanished, followed by a scream, then a gurgle, then silence, and finally the creature once again gaining up on him from behind. He did not turn around to see. The helicopter was close. The pilot of the helicopter, the soldier could see, had his eyes wide with fear. The helicopter was already lifting off the ground.

 

     Just as the soldier thought he was done for, he leaped into the helicopter and turned to see the monster leaping right behind him. The helicopter was now several yards off the ground and flying quite fast. The monster grabbed the side door and began pulling himself into the helicopter. The soldier lied there on the floor, stunned.

 

     Before the monster could completely pull himself into the helicopter, however, the soldier gripped his pistol and blew several bullets into the creature's head. The monster lost his grip and fell from the helicopter, which was already high above the war-destroyed city below. He could hear the loud screech of the monster as it fell to the earth far below.

 

     The soldier was relieved he survived, but that relief soon turned to sorrow when he realized he was the only one out of the squad that made it out alive. He also knew that the fall from the helicopter to the ground below was not enough to kill the monster that, like all the others, seemed invincible.



© 2011 Blake


Author's Note

Blake
Please ignore any grammatical errors and let me know what you think. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

was the room dark? Is that why the description of the monster vague? Were the soldiers wearing helmets? There could've been more description/detail of the monster attacking. It just seem so brisk and brief. Also the soldiers seem generic and without personality. Why would the monsters be used in the middle east? Why not elsewhere? Anyway It's interesting nonetheless.

Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really enjoyed the prologue. Vary Dark bloody and scary XD I can already tell this book is awesome XD

Posted 6 Years Ago


Heart pounding prologue! The dark and gritty atmosphere definitely gets the adrenaline pumping. The soldier's fear and desperation is clearly evident. The vague and primal descriptions of the monsters really add a feeling of dread. Overall, after a little content expansion this has potential to be amazing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is a nice hook for the rest of your story. Though I'd like to know more about the description of the "monsters". I couldn't make that great of a mental picture with it and description is great for that.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Great start. Can't wait to read more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Awesome! great start to the book it leaves the reader curious as to what will happen with the monsters, what are the monsters. This book strikes me as classic Steven Spielberg (which is a great thing) I will indeed read on at a later date. Awesome read though!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is sounding kinda like a zombie book but I like it lol

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Like everyone else I didn't see any grammatical errors :) This piece, I think, was very well done. It was gruesome without being over bloody or disturbing and you could basically feel the fear of those soldiers. I do think you could have used a little bit more describtion, but not too much. But description of the place the soldiers were in, because I like how you gave away a little bit of what the monster looked like without giving away too much, leaving it to the reader to imagen :D So again, good job :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Good write:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

was the room dark? Is that why the description of the monster vague? Were the soldiers wearing helmets? There could've been more description/detail of the monster attacking. It just seem so brisk and brief. Also the soldiers seem generic and without personality. Why would the monsters be used in the middle east? Why not elsewhere? Anyway It's interesting nonetheless.

Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Grammatical errors-- none that I could point out. ^^

It's definitely one of those pieces that sucks you in and doesn't ever let you out. Ever. I shall probably spend the next of my moments reading the next chapters. From the very beginning it was full of action and that only pulled me in more-- you were descriptive and that made it seem all the more livelier.

All in all, I think that you did a good job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1513 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 19, 2011
Last Updated on September 20, 2011
Tags: Monsters, soldiers, army, war


Author

Blake
Blake

MS



About
My name is Blake, like my WC account says... I'm 16 and live in a small town in Mississippi. My birthday is on October 29th. I write stories, books, and poems. I love to express my imagination. I'm.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..