The Oceans & The Seas - Theme 17

The Oceans & The Seas - Theme 17

A Poem by BlaqkShadow
"

I love the sea (even if I'm also very afraid of it) and I think it's atrocious how we treat this important part of our world. Part of 50 themes project.

"
The oceans,
Mirrors, pure, the diamonds of the Earth,
So vast it falls into the horizon, everlasting,
So deep it can crush every inch of our being.
It is without emotion or mercy,
Claiming both princes and convicts,
To try and keep it's secrets to itself.
It delivers rivers, food, beauty and wonder,
It is life, it is where all life begins and ends,
Who would taint this stunning lifesource?

Yet the crystal tides are poisoned with refuse and oil,
Over fished to extinction, when most are simply thrown away,
Killing majestic Titans for skin or fins,
Murdering the Kings that defend their ocean home,
Tearing Orcas from their mothers for stupid human shows.

This aquatic diamond is tarnished by human greed,
We must restore what we can,
And mourn the myths we've created.
Leave alone what it holds dear,
It's reefs, It's animals, It's curious wonders.

Or this sapphire heart of the Earth,
Our precious and brilliant source of life,
Will become barren and filled only,
With the tears of the regretful. 

© 2015 BlaqkShadow


Author's Note

BlaqkShadow
Thank you in advance if I am lucky enough to have this reviewed! Theme 17- Oceans.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You wonderfully captured the enigmatic beauty of the Earth's bodies of water. I love how you point out that bodies of water does not discriminate on who it will claim to hold to its depths. We need to respect this vital life giving resource and give back to it what it so unselfishly gives us. Thanks for sharing :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BlaqkShadow

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much :D X



Reviews

Lovely poem. I served four years of sea-duty in the US Navy aboard a frigate. I saw quite a lot of the Pacific. Like all sailors, I had a love-hate relationship with the ocean. It can be calm and it can be chaotic. Just like life.

My Dad once told me that when he was a young boy, the levee broke and the bayou flooded the farmland. His grandfather told him not to fear the water. “All the waters seek their level,” he told him. “The Earth abides.”

Despite the geographical differences, there is really only one ocean. It's all connected. Maybe when people realize this, they'll stop destroying it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I love how your poems speak of morals and principles which tell us to be more aware of our surroundings and contract with them with care. This was a lovely read, thank you for sharing this piece.

Insight.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovely imagery. Humans Vs. Nature. We destroy everything we touch. We are a virus that walks upon our mother. We need to get our s**t together. All of us. I like to think that if we all just took a moment to think about our impact on the planet, then maybe things would change. Great poem, I love the flow.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BlaqkShadow

8 Years Ago

Thank you hun for your continued support! :) X
Your phrasing is fantastic. I especially love your repetitive use of comparing the oceans attribute's to jewels. "crystal tides", "aquatic diamond", "sapphire heart", it's beautiful, showing and expressing both the ocean's beauty and it's almost glass-like fragility. It's very stunning, and it's a shame that we, as humans, take even the most valuable resources for granted.

-Noah

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BlaqkShadow

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review and thank you for noticing my attributing the ocean to jewels, it .. read more
You wonderfully captured the enigmatic beauty of the Earth's bodies of water. I love how you point out that bodies of water does not discriminate on who it will claim to hold to its depths. We need to respect this vital life giving resource and give back to it what it so unselfishly gives us. Thanks for sharing :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BlaqkShadow

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much :D X

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 27, 2015
Last Updated on October 27, 2015
Tags: ocean, sea, seas, nature, humanproblems, ruin, oil, fish, fishing

Author

BlaqkShadow
BlaqkShadow

East Anglia, United Kingdom



About
I haven't done any work in a few years now but want to try my hardest to re-embrace my creativity. There is nothing much special about me. I'm a vegetarian, I love gaming (maybe too much) and animals.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fallen Fallen

A Story by Sally Hope