9th Exploit: St. Costas 3

9th Exploit: St. Costas 3

A Chapter by Jeffrey J Dotson
"

Clark has sought Antonio for the better half of the day and has finally confronted our protagonist. Can Jason keep things from getting out of hand, or will hotter heads 'prevail'?

"
9th Exploit: St. Costas Pt. 3

The police can be heard yelling from inside of the Bitter Belt, perhaps at Jonan perhaps at some of his hired hands, but all the tension is clearly around the group of three standing on the sidewalk several feet away from the dark entrance to the establishment. Clarks eyes are no longer trained on Antonio, but rather Jason, who still has his arm gripped and pointed down. He tries to move his arm but Jason doesn't allow it.

"How dare you!" Clark hisses out loudly. "You'll remove your hand this f*****g instant!"

"Put the gun away and handle this situation with words then." Clarks already angry eyes spark with loathing. "Or do you like publicity? Your strings go far but can they pull you out of something like public murder, attempted or otherwise? There's at least one eye witness right here, and a large handful of others that will stop what their doing to take you in if you pull that trigger."

Clark trembles angrily and grimaces. "Publicity would be bad for me right now..." Jason lets Clarks hand go and steps back, letting the Tai Corp. executive make his own decision. He holsters his gun slowly. "The threat still stands though- "Clark says as he turns his head back to Antonio, who at this point has turned his attention back at the entrance of the bitter belt. "-You pay off the damages done to C-002 or things will get really, REALLY bad for you grass head."

Tony shoots his eyes back at Clark and raises a brow. He smirks as he begins to clean out his left ear with his pinky. "What are you, twelve?" Tony cracks his neck. His fighting spirit, his ki begins to swell up. Clark doesn't notice it but Jason most certainly does and gives Antonio a look of concern. Tony doesn't notice Jason, his focus is on the corporate jerk in his line of sight. "You aren't getting lint from me pal, and if you think your little pea shooter and s****y grade school insults are going to get anything out of me then you're in for a surprise." Clark begins to grit his teeth. Antonio removes his finger from his ear and points the pinky at Clark. "And as far as that pea shooter's concerned, you point it at me again and I'll break your damn face. Ive had it up to my forehead with being shot."

Jason pats Tony on the shoulder and shakes his head. "Machismo isn't going to help matters right now-"

"Shut it." Tonys eyes remain fixed on Clark, who at this point has started to grumpily mutter under his breath. "This prick's threatened me, not you, so I'll thank you to stay out of this."

Clarks scowl finally breaks, surprisingly into a smile. "You ought to be thanking scarf 'n shades here, he saved your a*s."Clark looks toward the cop cars and grimaces. "Its only temporary though kid, we're far from done here. You will pay one way or another."

Antonio cracks his knuckles and grins. "Like I said before not in this lifetime. You want to make me pay, then make me-"

"JAAAAAASOOOOON!!!" The three turn their attention to the Bitter Belt. Jonan is being forced up the stairs by two cops. His shattered nose has been stuffed with paper to keep it from bleeding. Several of his accomplices are also being led out. Jonan has a teary eyed gaze aimed at Jason. "You dirty Bolzen-Käfer!" Jonan tries to struggle from the police mens grip but it is clearly in vain. "You fools should apprehend him, not me! He's a god damn menace and danger to society, just like the rest of his kind!!!"

One of the cops smirks. "He isn't responsible for twenty seven, maybe twenty nine deaths." Jonan begins to yell unintelligibly as the cops force him into the back of the police cruiser. Clark turns to Jason and gives him a disgusted grin.

"That explains the sunglasses, the horn-like 'cowlick' and the scarf. You're subhuman." Jasons eyebrow twitches. Clark looks down at his hand, the one Jason grabbed earlier and looks as if hes about to get nauseous. "Now I feel f*****g contaminated." Clark takes several large steps back, away from Jason and Tony and gives them a s**t eating grin. He gives Antonio one more volatile glare. "From here on out until that debt's paid your life will become a living hell big green. You'll pay for your insolence." Clarks eyes dart at Jason. "As for you, you might want to stop hanging around that man if you don't want to get snagged too, freak." Clark begins to laugh as he turns his back and begins to walk toward his car, speaking as he opens his door. "Of course there's no real loss if you get caught up in that net!" 

Clark continues to laugh forcefully as he enters his car and slams the door behind him. He immediately starts the ignition and roars off. The police seem to preoccupied to worry about how recklessly hes peeled off. Jason turns to Antonio and gives him a bit of a concerned face. Antonio seems to have no worries concerning Clarks words and has already mentally moved on to different things.

"You do realize who that is right?" Tony makes a face at Jason that makes it obvious that he doesn't give a damn. "At the very least you should be taking this a little seriously. That man isn't just a functioning cog in the machinery of Tai Corp, hes one of its most essential pieces. Hes got a lot of pull and the first impression I got he will abuse it to get what he wants."

"Pfft." Antonio rolls his eyes and smirks. "Please, what's the worst thing that twig can do? Sick his dogs on me? Send garbage can hunks of metal at me like that stupid robot he keeps whining about? Bring it on."

"You say that now but-" Before Jason can continue one of the officers in charge of handling the crime scene interrupts.

"Excuse me." Jason and Antonio look at the cop. "I would like a statement from you two."

---

Clarks car is parked a block away from the Bitter Belt crime scene. Clark's on his phone and seemingly calmed himself from his encounter with Antonio and his 'friend' Jason. He is still clearly perturbed by the experience, but hes intent on turning that emotion into fuel. Clark begins to smile as the man on the other side of the phone answers.

"Yes good morning Bo."

On the other side of the phone is a silhouette sitting in a dark room, clearly in bed. He is eyeballing seemingly floating red numbers above what can only be a dresser that read 1:56. "Sir, you realize what time it is right?"

"Yeah well this is important so wake up. There's someone I need you to to keep tabs on."

'Bo' groans as he reaches for the lamp and forces himself to turn it on. A blinding light reveals a man with a dark complexion. He has freckles along his face and arms, a birth mark on his left hand that's shaped like a bullet and a shaven head. His eyes are brown and his body chiseled. Hes laying under a teal blanket inside of a relatively dirty room in a building that's planted somewhere in St. Costa, not too terribly far from Clark. He yawns and smacks his lips.

"'Keep tabs on'? So-"

"Listen. Hes got green hair and has the face of an idiot. I need this man followed, and I need you to report anything he does to me directly."

"Green hair?"

"Yes. Don't know if its a fashion statement or not but hes unmissable. Right now hes down Evelton Road right in front of the Bitter Belt, probably talking to a disguised Bolzen-Käfer or a cop."

Bo scratches his scalp. "The Bitter Belt hasn't been shut down after all these years? I'm shocked-"

"Damn it Bo let me speak! Now, one thing of vast importance. I don't want you to report anything to Tai or the other executives, just me." Clark gives a worried grin. "They have other things to worry about without this 'little' issue alright?"

"Wait, are you going behind the presidents back again? If I may speak freely sir that nearly got you in a bucket of hot water last time-"

"Hence why this stays between us Bo! If you MUST involve someone else then bring in some grunts or something, but I want the group to be small got it?! I don't want this getting back to Tai Delorance or Russ, got it?! If it gets back to either of them or the other executives I'll take you down with me! I'll recover eventually, you wont!"

Bo is quiet for a moment. "Yes sir."

"Now, make haste. Big Green won't be in front of the Bitter Belt all night."

"Yes sir. You go ahead home and get some sleep. If there's anything worth note on this guy I'll report it to you when you wake up."

"Alright. I'm counting on you Bo." Clark hangs up and rubs his eyes. An audible groan comes from beside him that nearly spooks him out of his skin. He turns his head toward the passenger seat and frowns angrily as the cold pale shivering passenger, the TC grunt Clark had shot in the foot, whimpers. "Guess I really ought to do something about your useless a*s before I head home."

---

twenty six minutes have passed since the near-incident with Clark. Jason and Antonio are a bit of a distance from the Bitter Belt now and are coming close to turning the corner. 

"So-" Antonio begins to suddenly speak. "-I don't mean to pry but I'm kinda curious. This Jonan guy really had it out for you didn't he, and I suspect it doesn't have anything to do with hurting a prize fighter of his or making him lose some big bet does it?"

Jason is slow to respond. "Of course not. I'm sure you've gathered from my attire that I'm not exactly normal. Some people don't seem to like those different from them and Jonan is one of those kind. Hes not fond of my kind." Jason gives a bitter chuckle. "There's a lot of people who aren't, but he really has had it out for me since we've first met. I wish I could say it doesn't get under my skin anymore but it really does." Jason looks down. "Between his hate and Clark's remarks it just effects me. The looks aren't so common but I still get them from strangers."

"Dude, I don't get it. So what you have a weird cowlick 'horn' on your head. So far as I can tell the only thing weird about you is that fighting spirit of yours."

Jason raises a brow and stops Antonio. "You're serious?  Have you ever met a Bolzen-Käfer?" Antonio shrugs and shakes his head. Jason sighs. "That's right, you've never been out of your little neck of the woods so you probably wouldn't know."

"Let me guess, it has something to do with the scarf and glasses right?" Jason is silent. "Show me."

"If you insist..." Jason reluctantly lowers his scarf and lifts his shades. Tony is taken aback, not expecting the alien image hes seen. Jasons iris is a bright yellow, the veins that would otherwise be red in another's eyes are a grey shade of white, barely noticeable. His pupil is a thin cross and also greyish white. His mouth is hidden under a skin flap that droops below his chin. Antonio doesn't quite know what to make of this unique face. "This is what a Bolzen-Käfer looks like. You want to run away don't you?"

"Run away?" Tony smirks and nudges Jason in the arm. "So your eyes look a little off, so you've got an extra piece of skin, how's that make you any different from anyone else? As far as I'm concerned I think you worry too much about your looks and not enough about the fight you promised me earlier."

Jason looks shocked. He begins to laugh, his mouth flap waving around. He slides his shades back over his eyes and lifts the scarf up over his mouth. "You're a rare one!" Antonio raises his eyebrow. "You really surprise me Antonio!"

"The hell you mean? You're confusing the hell out of me. Anyways-" Antonio points a thumb behind his head and smirks. "-I'm gonna chill out until my pal wakes up." Tony brings his hand down and offers it to Jason. The gesture was not unknown to him but its not one hes ever been personally offered. Tony impatiently waves his forearm up and down. "Hey, you ain't gonna leave me hanging are you?"

"Huh? Of course not!" Jason grabs Antonios hand and shakes it while smiling under his scarf. "I certainly hope to meet you again my friend."

"Likewise." Antonio smirks. "You still owe me an exhibition after all." 

Jason sighs and Tony laughs. "You really are a muscle-head you know that?" Tony laughs even louder. Jason shakes his head and shrugs, still smiling under his scarf. He reaches into his pants pocket and pulls out a cell phone. "How about I give you my number? You ever need help with anything just give me a call, especially if its with the TC."

Tony scratches his head and half frowns. "Geez, again with this cell phone nonsense."

"What you don't have a phone?" Antonio shrugs. "Wait, you really don't have a phone?!"

---

Some hours pass and its now morning. The city somehow seems less lively now then it did while it was two in the morning, but there's still quite a bit of traffic going to and from various locations. Antonio is leaning on the wall of the Lead and Pete hotel, next to an H5 Climax poster that wasn't there yesterday. Hes resting his eyes and waiting for Jace to awaken. 

As the door to the Hotel opens Tony lifts his back off of the wall and stretches with a yawn. Jace steps out of the hotel, a smile on his face and happy to meet the morning sun. Antonio lets his hand fall gently onto the top of Jaces head, Jace is startled but he knows who it is as soon as his hair begins to get ruffled.

"Mornin' little man, you sleep well?"

Jace turns his head to Tony and smiles brightly. "Yup! How about you? Anything cool happen?"

Antonio leans his head into his index finger as if to think. "Not really. I did meet a pretty cool person though! Otherwise, meh." Tony slides his index finger from the side of his head to the inside of his ear. "Well, I guess I was shot at again but really nothing special happened-"

"Wait you were shot at?! What did you do now?!"

"Why does it have to be something I did? They were aiming at someone else and I got caught in the crossfire." Jace looks at Antonio as if he doesn't believe him. Tony smirks concerned and laughs nervously. "Honest!"

"Well, it be easier for me to just take your word for it-" Jaces eyes catch a poster on the side of the hotel wall, one next to the H5 Climax advertisement. Tony was resting on it a moment ago. "Hey..." Jace pushes past Antonio and looks up at the notice. "Public Kings Conference: Three P.M. at Rose Mali Park..." Jace looks at Tony, who looks as if he could care less. "Apparently it's today."

"Hmm." Antonio scratches the back of his head and gives an apathetic smirk. "You interested in going?"

"Kind of! Ive kinda always wanted to see the king in person, besides he is the guy your brother tried to kill right? Don't you want to get a good look at him?"

"Not really. Ive seen him enough in the newspapers and whatever his business with Max was is none of mine." Tony shrugs. "I mean I'm not opposed to going, that's really up to you. I'm more interested in other things."

"Like gambling and fighting right?" Antonio nervously laughs. Jace just shakes his head and sighs. "We really need to find you a hobby or a girl."

"Oh knock it off squirt." The two share a laugh. "Tell ya what, if we find out where this Rose Mali park is we'll go. That sound fair enough to you?"

"Yup! I guess I'll go ahead and ask around, I'm sure it can't be too far from here if they're just putting notices up for it."

The two begin to walk away from the hotel. Across the street there's a black van with the initials TC on the side of it. Inside sits Bo, now dressed in his work suit. He has a microphone pointed at the direction of Tony and Jace, and a note pad on his lap. He lowers the mic and jots down information.

"Rose Mali Park... 'little man', didn't get a name..." Bo rubs his cheek under his left eye. "They're going to the open Kings Conference."

---
Rose Mali was not a tourist trap like St. Costa. On the contrary there were businesses few and far between the dilapidated apartments and the pot hole ridden streets. There was a rather big plaza that looked as though it once was a flourishing area but most of the businesses were closed and the two that remained were a fast food establishment Burger Masters Plus and a bail bonds. It was obvious the crime rate was high and the property value was low. 

Rose Mali rested practically in the middle of North Norot, and its value had effected the surrounding cities like a cancer. There was one attraction in this nest of poverty that remained clean however, the park. Perhaps it was remodeled for the sake of the Kings visit. Its uncomfortable cleanliness however didn't detract from the wave of protesters. Those standing across the street from the park holding up signs that made their loyalty toward Norots current ruler obvious. He was not a well liked man, at the very least not around here. Also surrounding the big park were officers, along side them were the Tai Corp, hired perhaps to assist against any possible rioters or troublemakers.

The park had already been set up, with various scan booths on the three entrances for those who want to peacefully watch the conference, speakers scattered around in an organized fashion, a raised wooden platform near the back of the park with a podium standing in the middle, various cameras aimed at the podium and a massive 50 by 50 ft screen hanging high in the middle of the park for all to see, including the protesters. Below it lay a recently remodeled fountain  and several bushes, and near each side of the park next to the stage are out houses, for those who just can't hold it.

A bluish cab pulls up to the sidewalk on the street on the right, across the street of the center gate to the park. Antonio and Jace step out, Jace of course is quick to thank the cabbie before closing the door. Neither look happy to be here, having expected something more pleasant then the scene they're witnessing. The gate is swollen with crowds of people trying to make their way in, and near where the two have been dropped off are protesters screaming and hollering obscenities toward the name of King Fiamma Morte. 

Tony looks up toward the sun and frowns. "So, not only would we have gotten here faster on foot, it wouldn't have costed us a lick of buci either."

Jace tries to manage a 'hmph' but the crowds of angered people make him too nervous. "I'm fine with the price as long as it means I'm not given whiplash." Antonio rolls his eyes. "Hey I'm serious! You almost killed me last tome you know?!"

"You're overreacting, I can only do like fifty or sixty miles on foot anyways." Jace shakes his head and sighs. "Anyways this place is a dump, you sure the driver dropped us off at the right spot?"

"The parks right there, it even has 'Rose Mali Park' right on the archway above the gate." Jace nudges Tony in the side. "Might have a more pleasant atmosphere in the park then out here, right?"

The two begin to walk across the street. Not too far from them is the black van Bo controls. The van comes to a stop and the door opens. Bo steps out, looking around the area. He has a disgusted look on his face, as if he would rather not be here. He shakes his head and turns it toward Jace and Antonio. His comfort is not important as long as he does his job, or so he reasons. He stays with his van, waiting for the two to enter the park before proceeding himself.

The line is a clustered mess but it moves fast. Some people are pulled aside to a stand just a little into the park while others are allowed to enter freely. Antonio notices from watching that identification is required, and pulls his out as soon as he reaches the gate guard.

"Slide your id into here." The guard taps on a machine next to him. Antonio slides the card on through and receives several beeps from the machine. The guard looks over at a screen neither Antonio or anyone else behind him can and sighs. "Antonio Dragone. Go in and stop by the man next to the S.U.N. Stamp booth. Next!"

Antonio looks confused, but continues forward. He is immediately directed toward the booth. Antonio scratches his head as he walks over to the booth. Jace gets his I.D. scanned behind him and doesn't receive any of the noisy nonsense from the scanner Tony had.

Tony looks up at the woman with a stamper type of gun and smirks. "So, what-" The lady presses the stamper to Tony's chest without a word and pulls the trigger. The gun leaves behind a yellow chip on his shirt that's directly implanted itself into his skin. "What the hell is this-"

"Move on, don't gum up the line please."

---

Many of Norots higher class citizens and many of the Kings cabinet are gathered near the left side of the stage where the King plans on speaking in about an hour, if not sooner. Several maintenance workers are adjusting the microphone on the podium and testing it while several others try to get a word in with the king. 

A sharply dressed man in a blue blazer and a white undershirt and a brown combed over toupee pushes past many of his fellow cabinet members and approaches the king directly. This is one of several secretaries in Mortes employment.

"Mr. Morte, we should have everything ready in thirty or so minutes. We're ahead of schedule." The secretary looks like a child when standing next to the king.

The king turns around. He is a large man, standing well over everyone around him. His hair is black with a slight hint of read and is worn as a pompadour. Several bullet hole scars, six, decorate his neck and trapezius muscles, which are hardly contained under his two piece suit. He is someone who looks like he could hold his own in a fight. His two piece consists of a black over-suit with white stripes and a black coat under it with the slightest hint of blue. His tie matches his suit. His pants, likewise match his suit and tie. Its likely there is a vest or some protection under his cloth to protect from any assassination attempts. His shoes are straight black, with a shine to them that would catch any persons eyes if they weren't looking up to speak to this man. This is Fiamma Morte, the man 'voted in' as the king of Norot.

The king speaks with a raspy baritone, very appropriate for his appearance. "Thirty is it?" Morte puts on an innocent smile that looks positively unnatural on him. "Its a little earlier then stated but you know how flexible I am."


© 2017 Jeffrey J Dotson


Author's Note

Jeffrey J Dotson
Bolzen-Käfer = Bolzen is german for Bolt, Käfer is german for beetle. In Sevendown a Bolzen-Käfer is a humanoid race created a century and a half ago via experimentation on several willing participants. More on this in the actual story later.

Bo Lucas - 5'10, 197, 35
King Fiamma Morte - 8'2, 447, late 40s...?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

411 Views
Added on August 29, 2017
Last Updated on August 30, 2017
Tags: Action, Adventure, Drama

Sevendown


Author

Jeffrey J Dotson
Jeffrey J Dotson

Merritt Island, FL



About
A young man who's working on a story hes been planning out for some time now (Sevendown). Its grown, changed and evolved into something I think a lot of people might enjoy and I am PROUD to introduce .. more..

Writing