15th Exploit: Regional Heroes

15th Exploit: Regional Heroes

A Chapter by Jeffrey J Dotson
"

Joao's defeat sets Rose Mali Park free of the attempted theft spree from the Party Packers, and now Antonio and Jason find themselves to be the center of attention in North Norot!

"
15th Exploit: Regional Heroes

Two writhing, freshly electrocuted unconscious bodies are thrown into what looks to be a growing pile of party packer thugs. Jason dusts off his head and nods toward the direction of Jace and Sarah.

"That ought to be the last of them."

Sarah almost looks to be at a loss of words. "It took you only seven minutes to wrap up the rest of the mess here, that's pretty fast. Are all Bolzen-Käfer's like that?"

Jason shakes his head and scratches the side of his horn. "Its all in training and personal study." Jason confidently raises his head up. "Generally speaking, a Bolzen-Käfer can generate power but only at the bare minimum, like static or running a toaster. One's potential shoots up when they are able to rely on their fighting spirit, but that goes for anyone regardless of race, as I'm sure you know by now."

Sarah nods her head. Jace backs up and bumps into her leg, getting shoved back recklessly by a small group of journalists and camera men; the media. They're all crowded around Antonio, who has a new change of shirt, uncharacteristically black with white polka-dots and two sizes too small, and a pair of beige shorts. The SUN Chip's been removed from him at least. He looks extremely frustrated with the sudden attention.

"Hey hey, get the hell away from me!" Someone gets a camera close to Tony's face and he just about flips out. "Get that damn thing outta my face!!" The journalists completely disregard Antonio's words and continue to pepper him with questions.

"What is your relation with the Party Packers?!"

"Do you have a Bounty license!?

"You are related to Maxine, the guy who tried to kill the king a earlier this year, right? Are you trying to clear your family name!?!"

"What a hero! Please tell us what was going through your mind when-"

"STOP! AGH!!!" Jason and Sarah laugh, Jace is more or less concerned that Antonio might try and attack the group of people if this persists. Jason walks over to the mob and shoves past a camera man and one of the journalists who is trying to broadcast the story.

"Alright, that's enough of that. We're-"

"You're the one who rounded up the rest of the packers! Are you guys newly licensed?! We haven't heard of either of you until now!"

Jason wave's dismissively. "No no, this is all coincidence and luck. Now if you'll excuse us." Jason grabs a growling Tony by the shoulder and comically drags him out of the mass of media. They continue to rain down questions on the two regardless.

"You took care of the packers in a snap!"

"Wait, you two were on the news last night as well for the incident at the Bitter Belt!"

"Are you guys trying to make a name for yourselves?!"

Jason lets out an aggravated sigh. "Jeez, these guys are worse then the packers!" Sarah whistles toward Tony and Jason to get their attention. "eh?"

"Come on, this way!" The two don't hesitate to follow Sarah and Jace away from the pursuing mob of journalists. Bo looks on and is speaking to Clark on his smartphone.

"Clark." Bo speaks with a bit of a wavering tone. "I know you don't want to hear this but I think we really ought to stand down and stop bothering Antonio before-"

"WHAT!?!" Bo takes the phone from his ear. "You f*****g shitting your pants now Bo, or are you underestimating me!?!" Bo shakes his head. More for himself then Clark, who obviously can't see it. "I'm an executive of one of the greatest manufacturers not just in Norot, but all the seven nations! I have more pull in my little pinky then that man has in his entire being!!! That brat's just a green stain on the map!" Clark lets out a cackle. "I'll have that little 'freak' at my mercy before the weeks ends, maybe even by the end of today! As long as I have you to keep me informed I'll get what's owed to me!" 

As if on que, Bo begins to walk toward the direction Antonio and co headed. "Of course sir." 

On the other side of the phone Clark sits behind his desk. He hangs up his smartphone and begins to tap his notepad with the back of his pen. A childish smile decorates his face. He eyes the pad and reads his notes out loud to himself.

"Antonio Dragone: Brother to the wanted fugitive Maxine Dragone and apparently son to the deceased legendary Rio Master Blaine Dragone." Clark smirks. "Hes apparently strong enough to lift up no less then five tons regardless of having a SUN Chip attached to him. His hair is as green as the s***s my neighbors dog takes and he's friends with a lightning roach, as well as TC's own Sarah Leoni." 

Clark's smirk turns to a smile as he jots something down on a separate paper and staples a picture of Antonio to it. He whistles over toward the door, where there's a smaller TC member waiting in front of a heavily silhouetted man, who has the door open. The smaller man walks over to Clarks desk.

"Take this boy, get a copy of Leoni's profile too while you're at it. Slap that on the 'requests' board down there where the mercenary's hang out, try to place in in the mid difficulty range, and of course staple that girls profile behind his."

"Yes Mr. Rweise sir!" 

The TC associate grabs the profile, which has the words 'SEE CLARK RWEISE ABOUT THE JOB ASAP' written over it. He hastily walks out of the room, avoiding the relatively tall fellow who is holding the door open as much as possible. The door closes and Clark is left to himself.

"I think I know how to get what I want out of you, Tony...

---

Rosaline brushes her hair off of her shoulder as she approaches the collapsed east gate. She looks upset, obviously unhappy with how the day turned out, but relieved that her precious family heirloom gem crest is still in her possession.

"Hmph!" Rosalina groans. "I can't believe this!" Rosalina runs her thumb gently down the gem around her neck and sighs. "The horoscope was a thousand percent wrong... but-" Rosaline looks back over her shoulder, toward the western gate. "-I guess it could've been worse. I probably should thank those two for saving me. Maybe get the green haired ones number-" Rosaline slaps her hands on her face and shakes her head. "Ew no! What am I thinking!? Hes uncouth and rude! So what if he has the body of an angels-" Rosaline shakes her head and slaps her cheeks twice more. "Stop it! Ugh I need to get home."

Rosaline sighs once more before shaking her head and continuing her walk toward the east. She spots a small line of people being led through what's left of the gate way by three officers and a TC associate who is helping one of the cops to keep the more impatient park visitors from climbing over the rubble. Rosaline walks up to the officer on the right side of the line.

"Umm, excuse me officer-"

"Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to please wait or get in the back of the line."

Rosaline contemplates stomping her foot in defiance but thinks the better of not doing so. "Well, okay but how long will this take to clear up?"

"The city maintenance crew weren't called too long ago so they ought to be here before long, but this mess will take a while. You're best bet is to go through the front gate but that's moving slowly as well."

Rosaline shakes her head and sighs. "I'm never trusting my horoscope again..." She begins to walk away from the eastern gate and seems to be heading toward the front. 

---

Sarah slams the door to her grey car, a TC issued Uriam, shut. Jace is already in the passenger seat and Antonio is in the midst of climbing into the right back side. Jason shuts the door on the left and Sarah starts the ignition.

"Gosh!" Jace exclaims. "I haven't been in a vehicle in years! Maybe since I was six!" Antonio chuckles as he shuts his door closed.

"You too eh? Funny coincidence." Jason lets out a snicker. "What, somethin' funny?"

"Heh, nothing nothing, but you guys really are back country aren't you?"

Sarah turns her head over the seat and glares at Jason. "Oh? Is there a problem with the 'back country'?"

Jason throws his hands up and laughs nervously. "Nothing wrong with the back country my friend, just making light talk!" Jason smiles innocently under his scarf and skin-mouth flap. Sarah sighs and turns back to face the front.

"Right." Sarah backs the Uriam out of the parking space. "So-" Sarah speaks. "-I don't have much time to hang out but Ive got a couple hours to spare before I make my report of today's events. Ya'll wanna hang out and share a drink at Jacobs Five Star Bar & Diner?"

Jason nods his head. "Really good spot, if you have the money for it."

"Yes, well its also coincidentally not too far from the TC Headquarters." Sarah stops the car at the edge of the parking lot and waits for the traffic to ease up. A similar vehicle pulls up behind hers, also TC issued, piloted by Bo Lucas. "I can't dally too long though. The company president and his personal entourage are leaving within a weeks time, and I'm on duty around the building until he gets back."

Jason raises his head a bit. "That seems a pinch need-to-know."

"Yeah, well I trust two of you. "Sarah flashes a glare in the head-view mirror at Jason and a smirk. Sarah pulls out of the parking lot and into the road.

Jason brushes his hand over his horn. "Well, I suppose two out of three could be worse." The two share a laugh. "Don't worry, my lips are covered." Jason quietly chuckles at himself and his pun. Behind them Bo pulls into the highway and continues to follow.

---

Thirty minutes pass. The three have since left the uncomfort of Rose Mali and are now in the much more commercially prosperous Turin. A location just west of the most populated and wealthy city in all of Norot; Delaurance-polis, home to the Tai Tower. Jace can't help but look at the sights of the city and the architecture. Antonio is more complacent, and Sarah is suspicious of the vehicle that's been following them since they left the park. Though, she also recognizes the vehicle as a TC issued Uriam and reasons it might just be taking the same route toward headquarters.

"Don't miss the turn." Jason grumbles.

"I know where I'm going." Sarah slows and makes a right turn on the green. She eyes the fellow Uriam behind her and sighs in relief as it continues to go straight. 

After driving two blocks she makes a left into the driveway of a large five story building. It looks as though its highly maintained. There's a stylish board on the third story that elegantly reads 'Jacobs Bar & Diner', and has five golden stars. Two under Jacobs, one between Jacobs and Bar, one above Bar and one above Diner. The gorgeous building is painted wood-brown with a darkened gold color as a trim. The windows are tinted and wide, and the double doors welcoming them are vanilla white with golden door handles. Standing just left of the doors is a sharply dressed Caucasian greeter. Jace is ecstatic, and even Antonio's stoic expression is moved into an excited smile. Jason rests his head on his hand and Sarah pulls into one of the vacant spots in the parking lot.

"This place looks awesome!!!"

"The food tastes as good as the building looks." Jason says. "As long as you can afford it it's worth it."

Antonio smirks. "Buci isn't too much of a problem right now." Antonio of course referring to when he extorted Kingistan and his small crew not too long ago. Jace sighs but doesn't say anything.Sarah simply raises one of her eyebrows curiously.

---

Clarks door swings open. Clark raises his head excitedly as the relatively tall man, maybe about the same size as the unknown individual hanging outside of the room, waltzes in with the profile of Antonio in his right hand. 

This man has no shirt on, wrist bands that go from his wrists all the way up his forearm; they're dark grey and have blue flames painted on them. He's wearing pants, but the left leg only goes down slightly past his knee while the right stops at his ankle. Like the wrist bands they're black with blue flames. He has a tattoo just above his navel of a wolf with what looks to be a shroud of mist concealing it. His face is shaded out, but the vague outline of a smirk can be recognized.

"Heh, I was starting to get a little impatient. "Clark says. "Its almost been an hour since I've had that assignment posted down in that devil's den of a lounge room."

"Yeah well mind your shorts little man, I'm indeed here for your 'assignment'." The fellow slams the profile down in front of Clark on his desk, clumsily knocking down a few insignificant things. "There's no way I wouldn't be after seeing whose face is on it!"

"Good. Wait..." Clark brushes his bangs out of his eyes and looks at the fellow suspiciously. "You... Aren't you the mercenary that only takes low tier jobs? This isn't for a casual paycheck, I made sure to tell the guy to put it near the mid difficulty range. I don't need a half assed job from-"

"Relax!" The fellow begins to laugh. "I only usually work casual difficulty jobs because I'm not hurtin' that badly for cash, but this is just too enticing! I owe it to myself to kick Tony's a*s personally!"

Clark still doesn't look convinced. "Well, you're not as expensive as a lot of the other Mercs, but I need to really know you're up for the job, Dane."

The guy's fist clenches. "It's not Dane, pal-" The fellow lowers his head to Clarks. Its revealed that this is the face of Zaine Kanue, Antonio's old peer and 'rival'. His receding hairline is now to the top of his head, making him half bald. The rest of his hair juts up and back, gelled into three spikes. His hair is dyed just a slight bit of blue. He has an intense goatee that hangs just past his chest. "-and I assure you, by the time I'm done with this face-" Zaine places his palm on the picture of Antonio that's stapled on the profile. "-It won't be recognizable. So, Mr. boss man, lets talk."

---

Antonio and co are already seated around a table near the middle of the Bar & Diner, close to the actual bar. The only one not seated is Sarah who is speaking on her phone. 

The diner is dimly lit and looks even more spectacular then the outside. The bar not too far from the table practically shines. Its likely cleaned every hour on the hour, and the chandeliers that hang from the roof are spread out in a pattern that really gives the ceiling a special glow. The waiters, bar attendee and bus boys all have a sharp black suit of cloth that makes them blend in excellently with the restaurant.

"Yes sir, I'll be there before three. Thank you for the extended lunch break." Sarah presses the 'end call' button and shoves the phone down her front pocket before sliding down into the chair. She lets out a happy sigh and smiles. "Well, I have some time to hang out and catch up."

Antonio smirks. "Cool." Antonio leans back in his chair and crosses one leg over the other. Someone at the bar raises her head just a bit, as though she recognizes the voice, but she doesn't turn her head. "It'd be nice to know your lifes been since leaving Inizioville. I know you wanted to become a cop, but it seems you ended up in a slightly different route."

Antonio smirks innocently as Sarah gives an uneasy smile. "Well..." Sarah sighs. "I did become a police officer after I left. St. Costa was the first territory I was stationed in since that's where I graduated, but I was eventually transferred to Marinto maybe two months in, which is pretty much in between North, East and Central Norot. "Sarah nervously scratches her cheek. "I worked there for a little less then a year and a half before I-" 

Sarah bites her bottom lip. Her disposition shifts as she grows uncomfortable. She clears her throat before continuing. "I was too 'qualified' for the job and was suggested by the head of the NNPD to apply for Tai Corp, and so I did." Sarah smiles weakly. Jason silently listened and could easily tell she was leaving out key info based on her body language, but he remained to himself. "It took them a bit of time to get back to me but they eventually did and Ive been under their Defense division ever since!"

Tony nods his head and sighs. He almost can't help but think of Clark when he hear's Tai Corp. "I see."

"So-" Sarah stops. Both she and Jason turn to face the entrance of the restaurant. Jace looks as though hes about to have a heart attack and Antonio's face goes blank with rage. He isn't even looking toward the entrance and he knows whose entered based solely on the ungodly fighting spirit coating the diner now. The female sitting at the bar turns her head just a couple of inches toward the entrance and brushes her thumb across the hilt of her blade. Her holster and blade sit on the stool next to her. The heavily darkened silhouette at the door takes a step forward, and Jace nearly falls out of his seat.

"P-P-P-P-P-P-P-P-" 

Antonio clenches his fist onto the table sheet. "Luke even warned me about coming to this bar because of him..."

Jace appears to be on the verge of collapsing. Sarah slowly stands from her chair. Jason doesn't, but he faces toward the direction of the intimidating force. The amount of blood lust in the air is enough to make the hairs on even his neck stand up.

"So you were still alive after all this time, Toooooonyyyyyy..." Paul Mahogney grins psychotically. His tired eyes jut open and a drooling evil face greets the back of Antonio's head. He takes another step toward the group. Sarah gets into a defensive position and Jason finally stands. He glares through his shades at this, to him, unknown evil. Paul goes to take another step but stops as a blade comes a foot from his neck The familiar blade is held by the bar patron that was sitting curiously at the bar a moment ago. Sharp aura radiates around the blade. 

Clarice gives Paul a sharp glare and a subtle frown. "The sheer wrath bleeding off of you is spoiling my liquor."


© 2019 Jeffrey J Dotson


Author's Note

Jeffrey J Dotson
Uriam - Mazda equivalent

Zaine Kanue - 6'6, 274, 20
Paul Mahogney - 7'2 340, 35

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on January 11, 2019
Last Updated on January 14, 2019
Tags: action, adventure, drama

Sevendown


Author

Jeffrey J Dotson
Jeffrey J Dotson

Merritt Island, FL



About
A young man who's working on a story hes been planning out for some time now (Sevendown). Its grown, changed and evolved into something I think a lot of people might enjoy and I am PROUD to introduce .. more..

Writing