Hidden Magic: Truth of Serenity

Hidden Magic: Truth of Serenity

A Screenplay by Clay Jones
"

Just something I have been tinkering for the past 2 years, This is the first act and I am contemplating continuing it. I will also say that this has been the greatest accomplishment I have ever had.

"

Act 1


Scene 1:

( entrance into the table with the family)


Waiter: Good afternoon you guys would you guys like to start off with drinks.


Jack: I would like sweet tea and our two young boys would have chocolate milk.


( The two boys shake their heads energetically)


Martha: I would like a Dr. Pepper please


Serenity:  oooh. I would also like a Dr. Pepper please.


Waiter: Okay I will be right back with your drinks.


( The waiter leaves)


Jack: So kids what do you want for dinner tonight.


William: I want chicken strips with


( Marcus interrupts)


Marcus: Mac n’ cheese and fries


Both boys: With a chocolate frosty with a chocolate shell and cherry on top.


Serenity: Dad tell them to stop that freaky sentence finishing thing they do before our family does it too.


Jack: They are just expressing what they have in common.


Serenity: It is weird though….


Serenity: I will most likely have the chicken parmesan with applesauce.


Martha: That is a good choice I might have to get that choice also.


Serenity: ok whatever….


Serenity: You guys know what I want so I am going to use the restroom I’ll be back.


(Serenity leaves for the restroom)


Jack: seriously I have no idea what she is going through


Martha: She is of age for her puberty to set in


Jack: Oh yes…… I forgot about that.


Jack: Boys stop roughhousing in the booth


William : he started it by punching me in the face and i’ll end it by kicking him in the groin.


Marcus: you wish I have a secret move you can’t deflect.


Both boys: headlock……


(End of Scene)


Scene 2:


(As the boys wrestle and get each other into a headlock Serenity is exiting the bathroom and runs into the waiter)


Serenity: Thank you, you just hurt my head and shoulder


Waiter:  Sorry ma’am I didn’t see you there.


Serenity: I guess it’s fine I just have to figure out what to do in high school this year


Waiter: I go to highschool not far from here it is Wilmington High School. I am a sophomore.


Serenity: As am I. How did you get a job here anyway?


Waiter: I got held back one year. I am 17


Serenity: Wow… well um… i am 16 and I go there too.


(She fixes her eyes upon his necklace)


Serenity: What does that necklace mean?


Waiter: It is a pentagram and it goes with my religion and so does so many other symbols.


Serenity: What is your religion I am a christian, however, not as bad as my mom.


Waiter: I am Wiccan……. However your religion called us evil but I am not a satanist.


Serenity: Oh…… I am very sorry I don't even go to church anymore it is boring for me.


Waiter: Well you can join my religion, but, you must know there are those who will try to corrupt you into believing there are more fun ways of doing it don’t follow them okay.  


Serenity: So they are trouble makers basically?


Waiter: Of course they are and here take this necklace and keep it with you for safe keeping it will protect you.


(Serenity takes the pentagram necklace and places it around her neck and hides it)


Serenity: Thanks I have to go back to the table…..bye…..


Waiter: I will be there with the drinks shortly.


( Serenity walks back over to the table)


Jack: What I am saying is that we should get the boys into football


Martha: I am afraid they would break their bones.


Jack: So that is part of football anyway. Taking a hit


( Martha glares at her husband and Jack notices Serenity coming back to the table)


Jack: I need another point of view from someone who wasn’t here for the conversation. Serenity?


Serenity: What?


Jack: What do you think about us trying to get the boys to do football?


Serenity: Umm…….. Give them a couple years then do it cause once they get bigger they will be harder to break up then a mother and a newborn.


Martha: That is an odd way to put it, but fine Jack you win. Wait a couple of years like Serenity said.


( Waiter comes in with drinks. Jack notices Serenity watching the waiter attentively and an unwavering twinkle has settled in her eyes)


Jack: So Serenity any new news about boys or gossip.


Serenity: No


(Realizing her dad saw her)


Serenity: No nothing new just more gossip about who’s with who but it is not important.


Jack: How old are you?


Waiter: I am 17 sir.


Martha: Really do you go to Wilmington High School?


Waiter: Yes I do I got held back one year in elementary school.


Jack: what for? Were you a troublemaker?


Waiter: No my whole class called my family cursed and freaked and I went into a long depression and I couldn’t keep up with schoolwork.


Serenity: See dad that was harsh of you to judge him before you know him.


Jack: well I apologize for making assumptions.


Waiter: It is fine I have learned to deal with comments whether they are good or bad.


Martha: Well you turned out to be a nice young man.


Waiter: Thanks. How about your order?


Jack: Two chicken strip kids meals with fries, mac n’ cheese, and a chocolate frosty. Two chicken parmesans with applesauce and a medium rare steak with fries also add in a coleslaw.


Waiter: okay sir


Serenity: Wait could you……


Waiter: Leave the applesauces in a separate bowl instead of on the actual plate with the parm…...sure.


( Serenity blushes and says yes)


Jack: Uh oh Martha it looks like someone has a crush.


Serenity: Shut up dad.


Martha: Oh honey it’s okay, how do you think I fell for your father.


Serenity: eww big time


Jack: see she has a crush on him.


Serenity: So what if I do you don’t agree with any boy I try to get with anyway.


Jack: Well we sort of approve this one due to his sense of proper attitude in the workplace let’s just see what he does at school.


Martha: Yeah if he is good at his academics you two could tutor and hang out together.


Jack: We are not total sticklers about who you are with.


Serenity: That is a lie


Jack: fine maybe we were but we were only trying to protect you from horrible boys.


Martha: yeah sweetie just give this boy a chance and we will promise to not throw him out of your life.


Serenity: Fine but after dinner once we leave to go home I won’t forget this conversation at this restaurant.


( End of scene)




Scene 3:


( They pay for the bill and then depart. Jack notices Serenity waiving to the waiter)


Jack: So I realized that you waved does that mean you will be giving him a chance like you said during dinner.


Serenity: yes, of course I will be.


Martha: Oh sweetie that is great. Did he tell you what his religion was maybe he can come to church with us one sunday.


( Serenity thinks of a lie because she wants his religion a secret.)


Serenity: No he never told me his religion…. Not yet anyway. Plus when was the last time we even went to a church.


Jack: Serenity is there something wrong you seem to be hesitant.


Serenity: No dad I am fine.


Martha: I hope he is not a devil worshipper that would be too much for me to bare.


Serenity: The most you ever bared was conceiving all of us and getting that tattoo on ur inner thigh.


Jack: That tattoo is from years and years ago you wouldn’t understand.


Serenity: What do those symbols mean anyway?


( Martha contemplates telling her then decides not to)


Martha: I was a stupid teenager at one point and I was drunk that’s all.


Serenity: Well you said you never touched a drop of alcohol in your life


Martha: I lied to protect you from alcohol. It makes your head loopy.


Jack: But don't worry about that we are almost home.


( They pull into the driveway and the boys run to the door and grab the key under the vase and open the door.)


Jack: Oh s**t I better go turn off the alarms before they get tripped.


( Jack runs inside to disable the alarms)


Martha: I swear Serenity you two are gonna be great together.


Serenity: Is this your mother instinct or your otherworldly god almighty senses tingling.


Martha: That doesn’t matter what it is. I see a boy that you can relate to. I know I can.


Serenity: Eww first off and second off what do you mean relate to?


Martha: Nothing it doesn’t matter.


Serenity: Okay I guess I will be going to my room


( Martha watches her daughter go into the house and reminds herself to never bring up the past no matter how close it may bring her daughter to her…. Serenity goes up the stairs just to run into her dad on her way to her room.)


Jack: Hey sweetie how are you feeling from dinner


Serenity: Can’t you and mom stop! Plz!


Jack: Yes but you don’t have to get short with me.


Serenity:  Sorry dad it’s just the fact that normally you guys hate the people I like and yet you guys like this boy.


Jack: I will leave it be for now but did you at least get the boys name?


Serenity: His name is Ash like the tree.


Jack: That is a good name. Have a good night Serene


Serenity: Goodnight dad.


( Serenity enters her room and locks it listening to the banging of her twin brothers fighting in the room while Jack tries to calm them down.)


Serenity: Sometimes I wish I was not in such a good family. My family deserves more and I shouldn’t be so tempered and short with them either.


( As Serenity falls asleep, Jack goes to his room after putting the two boys to bed and gets surprised by his wife)


Martha: Jack how long can we keep our past from our daughter especially living in a false religion like so. You had seen that boys necklace around our daughter’s neck, the past is coming to reclaim this family. We were born Wiccan. Why can’t we just…


Jack: Calm down it will be fine the boy knows who we were and he won’t do anything to harm our daughter


Martha: I know that, it is just harder to keep her from the truth as long as she grows stronger.


Jack: she is the first one in centuries to control the one element none of us have been able to control. It is the most dangerous.


Martha: I know. We gave that up just for her. That boy reminds me of her though.


Jack: True we may have to create some sort of personal meeting between us and him.


Martha: Let us just discuss this later I am ready for bed.


Jack: okay well good night love


( Jack leans over and kisses her on the lips as they turn out the light and slumber through the cold filled night.)


(End of Scene)

© 2018 Clay Jones


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on March 5, 2018
Last Updated on March 5, 2018

Author

Clay Jones
Clay Jones

Wilmington, OH



About
I like anything that gets me working creatively and I love to write and do ceramics. more..

Writing
Peace Peace

A Poem by Clay Jones