Chapter 3: An Unwelcome Return

Chapter 3: An Unwelcome Return

A Chapter by Mathew Nicolson

   Rebecca’s life was uneventful after that for several months.  She assumed the locket was at the bottom of an ocean, never to be seen again.

   However, barely a few days after Easter, Eve brought home the news that her sister - Rebecca’s aunt, Joice had died mysteriously in her sleep.  Another family member had died, another of Eve’s siblings (and the last), so soon after Sam.

   Rebecca didn’t miss her much.  Nobody besides Eve had even liked her.  She was often described as snobby, and cared about nobody besides herself.  But regardless of how they felt, Eve dragged them to the funeral.

   After the funeral Rebecca, after waking Billy up, decided to walk home.  She said goodbye to her mother, and walked along the uneven pavement.

   The locket was still troubling her.  Sam’s death and Joice’s seemed very similar.  Could she… no, what wouldn’t be possible.  But, it’s always good to be sure…

   It was fortunate Joice lived roughly between the church and Rebecca’s house, else she’d have to have taken a large detour.

   The door opened with an eerie creak, in a way only a door can.  The house hadn’t been sold, but it didn’t look like anyone had-

   LIVING ROOM

   -been in there since Joice had died.  Rebecca decided to walk into the living room.  She switched on the light, and walked around.

   MANTELPIECE

   She was right.  Trembling, she stepped forwards and picked up the locket she detested so much, which was resting next to a bright yellow hat.  The ticking that had been gone for so long had returned.

   There was no other option; the locket would have to be destroyed. 

 

   She pondered on how it would be possible.  She doubted it would be easy, but she might as well try everything.  There was always the option of getting rid of it again, but Rebecca suspected it would only turn up again eventually.

   The next day, she convinced Eve to light a fire since it was cold.

   “I don’t find it that cold in here,” she said, snapping a piece of wood into two.”

   “You can’t?  It’s freezing!” Rebecca lied.

   Eve clicked a lighter, and the fire burst into life instantly; she had a skill with fires.  She smiled, and got up to wash the coal off her hands.

   When nobody was looking, Rebecca tentatively unclipped the locket.  She held it in her hand and gazed at it, hoping it would be the last time she’d ever have to do that.  She lifted it slowly, and with as much force as she could muster, threw it into the fire.  Sparks flew out and slowly died on the carpet, but she was too occupied with the locket to notice.  It began to sizzle, not unlike when you fry bacon.  It didn’t however, appear to be burning.

   After a minute, she hooked the poker around the golden chain and held it up.  She pressed her finger against the side that hadn’t been exposed to flame, and there wasn’t the slightest trace of warmth.  Rebecca was disappointed �" but not surprised.

   Freezing it didn’t work either.  Or smashing it with a sledgehammer.  Nor did the chainsaw.  Not even feeding it to her neighbour’s dog gave it a scratch!

   Eventually Rebecca came to the conclusion she couldn’t destroy it.  Every night she tried, and failed, to think up a new idea, but it seemed like there was no possible way.  Once again, she found herself a slave of helplessness, unable to do anything about anything.  She knew the locket was bad, but there was simply nothing she could do.  She was scared sick, but couldn’t tell anyone.  Anyway, who would believe her?

She couldn’t forget about it… but, maybe, if she ignored it… it wouldn’t harm her.  She doubted that would be true but, she could always try it.  She laid it down inside a drawer in her room, and left it alone.

   And nothing happened.  Again, for months.  Her 15th birthday passed, as did the summer holidays.  The new School had been built, and her life was back to normal.  If only it could have stayed like that.



© 2013 Mathew Nicolson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The locket is back by Rebecca knows it was its fault for all the deaths in her family. It can't be destroyed and it seems that something bad is going to happen to Rebecca.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 21, 2013
Last Updated on July 21, 2013
Tags: locket, funeral, death, mantelpiece, knight, destruction, destroy