II - The Lower House of Yulla

II - The Lower House of Yulla

A Chapter by BL

'I will put more wood on the fire, it is needed to keep the memories alive, so the story can continue...'

 

 

[][][][]

 

 

There was a lower house* in the kingdom of Arun that Bezon often visited and before his trip to Europa he spent ever more time there. It was the house where Yulla lived with her family. She was the daughter of a rich trader and unlike most other ordinary people she had benefited from a bought education and was considered to be in good standing. Yulla was twenty-three and by standards of the time had gone passed the stage of marriage. She had suitors of which Bezon was one, but his recent rise to fame, through his given task had bought him much good favour with everyone, including Yulla and her family. Yulla's family were wealthy because of her father's business which had thrived from overseas trade with merchants from Africa, the far east and Phoenicia in particular. But as everyone was all too painfully aware British trade would be put to a stop under the new reign of Italia, if anyone survived to see that time.

 

The night before his departure Yulla and her mother prepared Bezon a fine going away meal to wish him good luck. There were fruits and berries from the forest, meats and cheeses from the farms and rich pastries and fine bread from the best bakeries in the kingdom. It was a meal fit for a king and one day Bezon secretly hoped to be one. Around the long table Yulla's family had assembled and they had all dressed in their finest clothes, some of the men were wearing their battle armour.

 

‘Your brother Caratacos has been in contact with my father several times,’ Yulla whispered to Bezon, while chewing on a leg of cooked chicken.

 

‘About what?’ he asked as calmly as he could, but he was not able to concentrate on his food. He looked at the pale blue amulet around Yulla's neck. It swung, catching the candle light, mirroring itself in golden drinking goblets and the finely cut crystal glasses. He didn’t trust Caratacos and a million disappointing thoughts rushed through his head. Was Caratacos using his royal position to his own personal advantage? Exploiting and bullying the ordinary folk to get his own way, to get to Yulla?

 

Yulla paused, she discretely looked around checking no one was listening in. ‘I don't know, he wouldn't say, but he didn't look displeased,’ she said in the faintest of whispers, smiling at people around the table. Putting two and two together Bezon hoped it was about Caratacos’s task of securing the escape route for his father. It would make sense as Yulla's house was to the north of the castle, in the north west of the kingdom, towards Siluria and away from the continent and it would make a perfect staging post to take refuge while on the run. His young brother was not as stupid as he looked he thought.

 

 

 [] [] [] []

 

 

Ascoli was a grunt and was near the bottom of his Section of twelve, at a laughable number ten (X). It was laughable as the two men below him were not fully fit and had only got into the army of by a fluke. Ascoli had joined the army for an easy, quiet life, defending the unchallenged boundaries and fortifications of the already well established and seemingly undefeatable empire. He was following in the footsteps of the men in his family, it was easy money and day by day there was little to do. Over the past few decades there had been relative peace, with only minor skirmishes to deal with. This family plan was all going fine until a new emperor came to power and this emperor, Cicero had ambitions and with them Ascoli's quiet little world was shattered into tiny little pieces. All of a sudden there was talk among the ranks of manoeuvres abroad, of them invading, it seemed the quiet life was over. He might be asked to stay behind he thought as he had seen no proper action. It would be the more seasoned veterans who would be chosen for battle surely, not the likes of him and his mate Pico. As he sat by the firelight of the gatehouse he saw the unmistakable tall and slim silhouette of his section leader, Thamus approach and so he jumped up and stood to attention.

 

‘At ease soldier,’ Thamus’s voice said through the darkness as he came close. ‘I have news, it seems a soldier’s holiday is over and peace time has ended,’ Thamus' voice was serious and irritated, which was unlike him.

 

‘Sir?’ Ascoli said, his voice going up a pitch.

 

‘Yes, we will be marching soon. You've heard the rumours?’

 

"Many, yes, Sir"

 

‘And you heard Cicero’s opening speech?’

 

‘I did, Sir, yes,’

 

‘Well then listen, Ascoli, I've been told to prepare the Section and to get you all ready, so make sure you are, understand?’

 

‘Yes, Sir,’ Ascoli replied after a mournful pause of painful thoughts about his life ending in some grisly way on some foreign battlefield. ‘But who will defend the cities, the homeland when we are gone?’

 

‘Old men and teenagers I expect,’ Thamus said with a wry smile that Ascoli couldn’t see.

 

‘That’s is a gamble, it could be the beginning of the end,’

 

‘Yes, but here is the good part. Mercenaries, contractors and new recruits are going to be brought in, all to be paid for from the imperial palace and new higher taxes" Thamus said staring at some lights in the woods. "I find out more tomorrow, but I know one thing, it’s either going to be hot, rainy & windy or ice cold,’

 

‘Let’s hope for hot, Sir,’ Ascoli said

 

‘Yes, Spania,’

 

 

*  a lower house is a house that is well-known either through its wealth or the popularity of the people within, but has no royal connection.



© 2022 BL


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hello, I enjoyed the read and could visualize everything in my head. I enjoyed the character of Yulla. Is she more than meets the eye? ‘About what?’ he asked as calmly as he could, but he was not able to concentrate on his food. He looked at the pale blue amulet around Yulla's neck. It swung, catching the candle light, mirroring itself in golden drinking goblets and the finely cut crystal glasses. I liked that very much you described it in so much detail I could easily see it in my mind.

Posted 6 Months Ago


One has yet to finish reading, but I must pay my respects to the writer for he has captured my intrigue and imagination. Excellent.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Love the content of the new chapter. I always like learning about the characters and seeing what flaws and worries each might have. The writing just seems to flow. Looking forward to the next chapter....Mike.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Terrific chapter II ... why not publish? It's so well written, and it's hard to keep my attention. Well done, BL

Posted 2 Years Ago


BL

2 Years Ago

Thank you, it does need some editing though. I am not planning to publish it
B: Nice flow, interesting. Your writing is clear and concise and I'm enjoying the calm way you write, its really intriguing and I'm surprised. This is a genre I would normally not read. You are leaving just enough to the imagination, the characters are well defined...interesting. Great job. Thanks. Dale

Posted 8 Years Ago


BL

8 Years Ago

Thank you Dale for the nice review, although with reviews you take the rough with the smooth
I'm looking forward to further reading.

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

Great, very glad to have you along.
I liked the story very much. Well described but there are some issues to be address. Like punctuation and phrasing. I will continue reading when I am free! Keep up those good work!

BrX

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

thank you, let me know how I can improve it
Again. I liked the story being told. I liked how you led into the entertaining story. I like the location and the conversation. A well-written tale. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

Thank you once again, glad you are still with it, I am enjoying the writing
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

Writing and reading is my pleasure. Keeps me sane.
it was a very interesting story,i enjoyed the read

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much
 wordman

9 Years Ago

you are welcome

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1422 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 7, 2015
Last Updated on December 31, 2022
Tags: kingdom, war, peace, empire, fear, luck, dust, fiction, mystery, love, story, Empire and dust, king, invasion, defence, fable, book, chapter, myth, legend, history, life, fire, storyteller, tale


Author

BL
BL

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Nightwalker Nightwalker

A Story by BL


Apple Orchard Apple Orchard

A Story by BL


The Wedding Shirt The Wedding Shirt

A Poem by BL



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Rich Substance A Rich Substance

A Poem by BL