NIII - A New Set of Minds

NIII - A New Set of Minds

A Chapter by BL

'Winter snows melt to reveal the lands we left behind and the green of memory.'

[][][][]

Wiznia was leader of the Druids and sat on the king's council as chief advisor on religious affairs. Unlike other societies, within the kingdom of Arun the Druids had complete autonomy. The Druids could not be challenged on anything by the king or the kingdom as they were considered to have great power and connection to the gods and nature. No one in the army, the commercial world or the newly emerging field of science and alchemy could control them. By contrast they could interfere with whoever they liked.

Wiznia was not worried about the coming invasion and made a point of telling that to king Duerra at their many private and public meetings. He told everyone else too. He told them at the weekly ceremonies, at the sacrifices and in the ale houses. In his mind there was no way those from Italia could succeed and this was for several good and factual reasons. Firstly he understood their own minds and knew they feared the sea as they were not, naturally very good sailors. Secondly they believed that their gods did not protect them over water. They would be dreading the sea voyage to Briton. Thirdly they also feared being abroad as the eyes of their gods were not far seeing. This was all compounded by the fact that they particularly feared the Druids themselves. But the main reason Wiznia believed that the army from Italia could not win was because no one ever had before; not ever. The lands of Briton were sacred. Wiznia also believed that they would win as their religion was the true religion and the religion of Italia was false.

Over the years spies had been caught, shipwrecked sailors had been found and there had of course been refugees; those fleeing the empire. They had told their tale, sung their song, some more willingly than others. He knew from questioning them the truth about their world. He knew how scared they all were and how weak they were. He had tortured and killed some of them and they had died like animals with no honour. This wasn't a race of people that could defeat them. Wiznia relayed all this information to Duerra, he took it on board and could not refute it, but he was also a practical man and so strengthened his army as back up.

[][][][]

Alfos was of a new set of minds and did not believe in any religion, he built the army avoiding superstition, luck and folklore too. The men he had enlisted were engaged in training of rigorous physical exercise and discipline. Alfos had not seen much of the strategies used by the army of Italia, but he had seen the equipment itinerary of their average soldier and knew immediately they were at a disadvantage. The average soldier carried a short sword, a long knife and a spear as well as large rectangular shield and protective leather armour. Most also carried a specialist weapon, such as cutting tools, signalling equipment or an injury treatment kit. His soldiers only had one weapon each, it was either a sword or a spear and now some carried a bow and arrows. They were at a complete disadvantage, even their shields were inferior, being made of wattle board not a metal plated wooden frame with a circular silver boss. However they did have their defences.

The great hill-fort was large and high and looked impregnable. It could be seen for miles around from every angle, it dominated the area. It magnificently stood on a steep sided hill that unusually had a naturally formed plateau on most of its top. It overlooked the mighty river Solent. The steep sides were terraced in places and elsewhere had been sharpened and shaped to give a more vertical effect. All but its east side it had perfect natural protection this was emphasised by its high vertical walls of solid trunks of oaks thirty feet high. The east side had a low sloping hill below, that stretched away gradually for a half mile. This was the weakest side, the side of its main entrance. It was not possible to get closer than two miles towards it before being challenged or stopped. There were two perimeter fences at mile intervals, that were offered protection against marauding war-bands. Each fence was manned at intervals around in gatehouses and look out posts. This is where a lot of the army were used and so they were used to fighting in a defensive stance with their backs to a high fence or fort structure. Inside the wooden timbers was a small citadel, surrounded by a fortified community.

Alfos had the men digging a great ditch between the first and second perimeter defences. The idea being that if the outer defence was breached then the ditch would be lighted to slow the enemy down. The ditch was forty feet across and black with oil soaked peat. All men of the army were put to this work apart from the archers, who were on continual target practice. Although individually archers weren't very good, as a group they were very effective. Alfos found that batching the archers together meant that any target could be covered, the arrows created an unavoidable shower. They stood in a line, they stood in a square, they batched together in a block, which ever way they did it the effect was good.

The problem Alfos had was that being an archer was considered a dishonourable, cowardly profession by the elders and many others didn't even recognise them. The bow and arrow had only recently been allowed in the army for the men to carry as an extra weapon, but it had proven so popular, it had offered a new dimension to combat. So much so that a separate section of men was developed.

Wiznia saw the scorpion, it had appeared in the murky waters as a bright flash of orange, intense and ferocious looking. He didnt know what it was at first and had to look it up in an old book of foreign creatures. He was amazed to see it there on the page exactly as he had seen it in the waters, proving it was no figment of the imagination. He hadn't told the king as he didn't know what it meant, but he had drawn an image of it and carried it about on a scrap of parchment. The scorpion was a desert creature that lived beneath shifting sands and had a lethal venom in its tail, that it kept hidden from its prey. It would strike and then disappear, seeming to kill for no reason.



© 2018 BL


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi BL, you have written another most interesting chapter, now bringing the druids into your historical piece. They were a power unto themselves. I am getting deeper into your wonderful write, and it sings as a great, ancient tale. Looking forward to the next part, my friend.

Posted 2 Years Ago


BL

2 Years Ago

Thank you - you are reading faster than I can write ! 😊
shadrach hah

2 Years Ago

Trying to take my time, to savour each piece.
amazing write.
Thanks for sharing with all of us.:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


BL

8 Years Ago

You are welcome - thank you
Irenic

8 Years Ago

welcome dear :)
"their religion was the true religion and theres was false" - theres?
"but he had seen the equipment itinerary of their average soldier" - itinerary?
"carried a bow and arrow" - arrows?

I found I didn't always agree with word choice and punctuation but for most of it - it was my opinion and that doesn't count. You do have a few other real flaws but a slow re-read should catch them.

A good historical drama in the making.



Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to look through this Chris, it is appreciated. I must have missed repl.. read more
Good chapter! A lot of interesting things going on, I enjoyed it :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

9 Years Ago

Glad u liked it :-)
Very good writing, B. Really good descriptions.

One little thing you could correct in the last sentence : It would strike 'snd' then disappear. I think it has to be 'and'.
I see you write very well. Perfect English. I like the story so far.

I'm also writing stories and have sent read request in the past, I would appreciate if you would look to them too if you find the time.

:) Rudi

Posted 9 Years Ago


a great chapter,very intresing

Posted 9 Years Ago


BL

8 Years Ago

Thanks Wordman
 wordman

8 Years Ago

you are welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

501 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 25, 2015
Last Updated on December 4, 2018
Tags: memory, romance, Kingdom, peace, war, army, empire, luck, hope, power, fear, battle, spy, dust, adventure, fantasy, fiction, mystery


Author

BL
BL

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Nightwalker Nightwalker

A Story by BL


Apple Orchard Apple Orchard

A Story by BL


The Wedding Shirt The Wedding Shirt

A Poem by BL



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..